Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fechtbüch - Q&A

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Fechtbüch is High Middle German and roughly translates as "fight book" or "fighting manual". These were books and manuscripts published centuries ago, usually accompanied with drawings and diagrams, that presented a collection of advice and fighting maneuvers. I used the term here because I like the sound of it. Also because Fechtbücher were the means by which older, more experienced warriors, passed down their knowledge to the following generations.

I was asked if I would open a thread for people to be able to discuss the Fechtbüch, and participate in sharing their own knowledge with the readership. I will be happy to answer most any questions, but reserve the right to decline sharing dangerous techniques with the general public.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:55 pm

"#1 - The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club. #2 - The second rule of Fight Club is, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club." - Tyler Durden

Unless you are Chuck Norris, you are not the toughest guy on the block. Do not swagger, do not posture, and do not.. do.. not.. try to show your fighting prwoess and special tricks to friends and family! So many times I have seen students walk out of their dojos and try to impress someone outside of class, only to break someone's fingers, or get themselves smashed in the face.

Fighting skills are not play toys. The only time they are safe to perform is when you are in serious training and have the proper supervision. Otherwise you only use them when facing an opoonent.. and then is not the time to be timid, or playful. If you are learning martial arts to impress someone, stop and rethink. The only person you need to do anything for is yourself. If you feel the need to learn more to impress someone.. I have news for you, they won't be impressed. There is nothing you can ever do to get someone to like you other than to just be yourself.

Practice your fighting skills safely. Do not use them to bully anyone. By learning to fight you are joining the tradition of being a warrior, and true warriors use their skills for a purpose.. never for the enjoyment of inflicting pain on someone.

Fight with your head, fight with your heart, and fight with honor.
Back to top Go down

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:55 pm

What is the worst injury you've ever taken in a fight?

Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:32 pm

In a single fight I once received a broken nose, two cracked teeth, two cracked ribs, and almost ruptured a testicle.

Another time I was knocked to the ground and had several people stomp me so hard I had blood in my urine and stool (poop) for three days. I was a kid, so it was a very long time ago. I told my parents I fell down some stairs at school.

Until this thread I always downplayed any injuries, but since this thread is about the realism of fighting.. I'm being up front and honest.
Back to top Go down

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:52 pm

Silver Sentinel wrote:
In a single fight I once received a broken nose, two cracked teeth, two cracked ribs, and almost ruptured a testicle.

Another time I was knocked to the ground and had several people stomp me so hard I had blood in my urine and stool (poop) for three days. I was a kid, so it was a very long time ago. I told my parents I fell down some stairs at school.

Ugh, I feel your pain.
I had a buddy who, from one hit, got his nose and maxilla (upper jaw) broker. His front teeth folded back to touch the roof of his mouth.

Blood in the urine and stool, always freaky.

Worst injuries I've had so far was a dislocated ulna after a grabby fight with a big guy (I've learned how to roll my wrist out of a grip now, stupid lack of training back then) and broke my fifth meta-carpal bone after taking a wild swing and hitting an oak doorway with my little finger knuckle. The frame broke and so did my knuckle. It's now a dropped boxer's knuckle.

I've been stabbed twice, but amazingly enough, they were accidents. In my forearm and the side of my knee, right into the joint. Did that one myself. Smile

I'm gonna have lots of questions on this one soon so get ready, for now a game convention prep and homework are kicking my brain.

Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Now stab wounds are different. It wasn't a fight. My best friend and I were playing around with Revolutionary War era sabers and his blade slide along my parry and landed straight into my left buttocks! My medical treatment for being stabbed in the ass with an inch and a half of steel? I wadded toilet paper up and shoved it into my back pocket!

I have a scar on top of my head, just behind the hair line, where I was struck in the head a glancing blow with a battle axe.

I NEVER discuss the large scar on my forehead.

Actually had a dislocated middle finger that slid back into the back of my hand and had to be pulled out again from a punch gone terribly wrong.

Broke my left thumb in an SCA combat. Dislocated right middle finger in an SCA combat. Received a concussion in an SCA combat.

Last edited by Silver Sentinel on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:59 pm

I got shot once, but it was a spall off of a firing range and did not break through my jeans. Thigh was black and blue for weeks and I walked funny for a while.

Back to top Go down

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Victim wrote:
I got shot once, but it was a spall off of a firing range and did not break through my jeans. Thigh was black and blue for weeks and I walked funny for a while.

Oh yeah they hurt.
I've had a .44 ricochet about twenty yards and knock about a half inch of ice off of my jacket (broke the ice crossing a stream, curses!) while shooting in the woods. Hurt like a bitch even with the ice coating.

Silver Sentinel:
The combat psychology and readiness always intrigues me.

Can you give an example of one of the most tense encounters you've had, and give a clinical analysis of your mental and physical reactions, and the other guy(s) if possible?

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:59 pm

"The first rule of Fight Crime Club..."

My only comment so far is this is good info, although I still hold Baron Von Steuben against the Germans. We could have never had to march anywhere if not for that %$#^.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:54 am

Do you guys see why I worry?????????????
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:18 am

@ Flora - Don't worry. As the saying goes, "God protects fools, and children.. and superheroes."

Midnight, I'll answer your question when I have more time then I have available at the moment.

Last edited by Silver Sentinel on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Geeze Silver I thought I had it rough Ive had a rock smashed into my head a knife slashed accross my palm and sliced in between my thumb and for finger Ive been kicked in the face and the nuts a wooden baseball bat broke in half when it made contact with my scalp (Funny how right after that one I turned and kicked the guy in the nuts with my steel toe work boots so hard he flew off the steps and landed on his back in the gravel driveway) Ive been bitten by dogs barfed on by drunks (I tied him to the tire swing then spun him around as fast as I possibly could while waiting for the kid to get help from his father while protecting another kid who was injured by the drunk) Last winter a guy on a skidoo tried to pass me on the wrong side of the road as I was walking home He ended up with the back of my hand in his face behind me while the skidoo was a few feet in front of me I wasnt going to let that stupid idiot force me to walk out into the traffic while he was driving No controling the sidewalk with a red cover on the headlight of his skidoo ( The next day I saw a skidoo shoved half way under a mini van and the side door bent in so far it was almost touching the other window) I will resort to pratical jokes to stop the violence from escalating if I can like the time I bought a remote control toy I went to have lunch when this drunk lady came in and started screaming her head off and taking off her shirt She was down to the last button on her shirt when she looked down and saw a spider crawling around her feet then when she started to move away it followed her and ran around the chair that she climbed up on screaming at the top of her lungs while someone went and called the police They came in and saw her standing there with her shirt undone as they took her down the spider turned and ran back to me After they had gone I showed the food court workers the remote control spider and had it walk over my hand then turn around and tuck in its legs to rest while I out it back on the controler that also worked as a charger for the battery The look on that creatures face when it had the cute little spider following her was priceless
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Polarman, you are my new role model!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fechtbüch - Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fechtbüch - Q&A   Fechtbüch - Q&A Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fechtbüch - Q&A
Page 1 of 1