Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Started new Exercise Routine

Go down 
+2
Flora V. Arbor
Artisteroi
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Started new Exercise Routine Empty
PostSubject: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Sorry for the pun. Hehe.

We started a new exercise routine today. 2.2 mile trek around teh park and home on bikes. Thats the first part. I figure we will do that 3 times a week for next 3 weeks, tehn add in some upper boddy training after the ride.

I Have been having troble with my knees for a few months now. as in they are trying to hyper-extend on me. I used to have problems with throwing my knees out when I was younger but it hassnt botthered me in over 20 years. I guess it is coming back now that I am getting older. I am gonna try to fight it with regular moderate exercise. I'm not really un-fit but I am carring some extra weight and I work in an office and get little exercise anymore.

Mega Rad gave me the idea a few days back when he said something like "don't think 'I need to run today', think, 'I am a runner'" or something like that. That is a self hypnosis mantra. I used one very similar to quit smoking 10 years ago. It went "I don't smoke" insted of "I'm quitting smoking" Essentially you train your sub concious into the new thought pattern. Once the pattern is established it is easy to maintain.

Today I adopted a new mantra. It says: "I am the picture of health" Once I have told myself that enough times it will become true. Becuase I will make it true.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:53 pm

YAY!! size is not the indicator of health.

Stamina and strength are.

See: the world's strongest men

NONE of them are thin because the thin ones aren't strong enough

I am HAPPY to help with ANY AND ALL exercise.

Let's type about your knees, good?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Congratulations, man. I don't appreciate the thin-hating... Smile ... but I agree with Flora that you shouldn't worry about your size. If you do stuff to be in shape you'll have the shape you're supposed to have.

Who knows where that idea about how to think originated, btw, but the most recent place I came across it was in the book "Psycho-Cybernetics."
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:41 am

Oh I'm not really overweight I am just trying to loose my mid-life spare tire. Maybe 15lbs at the most. I do however want to get my joints to stop trying to sabatoge me when I am exerting myself though.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:32 am

to make a low-exercising person become a more-exercising person

we, generally, end up with a slightly leaner person

but the goal of stamina is a better goal for health and RLSH

Let's type about your knees, please
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:28 am

I need to start working out again too. I started when I joined the forums and then just kind of stopped. 3-5 miles of cardio a few times a week and lifting free-weights until I can't lift my own arms. And I really need to work out my abdomen. Gotta get motivated. Gotta get as strong as a bear! Yeah! >¦3
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:49 pm

My Knees.

I Grew up in a mountainous area and spent a lot of time hiking. It was one of my favorite sports as a youngster and I spent at least 10 hours a week going up and down the sides of mountains on less than maintained trails.

One of my favorite things to do was to start at the top of a mountain and run down the side. I would catch limbs and saplings on my way down to keep me form going head over heels. I would jump over the side of rock cliffs and catch pine limbs to ride to teh ground and then keep going. It was litterally parkour in the woods instead of the city. I could go from the top of the mountain to the bootm in around 8 minutes. It was a 300 ft altitude change at a 70deg grade. very steep, very quick, dangerous, though I only got injured twice. Once I twisted my left ankle. Which hurt but was fine in a day and hasn't bothered me since. The other time I smacked my right knee against a rock and skinned it a bit but that was it.

A few days later I was playing sandlot football with my neighbors and I tried to make a quick turn, but instead of pivoting on the ball of my foot, I pivoted at the knee. Your not supposed to pivot at the knee. Anyway my upper leg went one way and the lower leg went the other way. I was layed up for 2 days after that and had to walk with a cane. Do you know what its like to need a cane at 14?

Anyway after that if I wasnt careful it would just come loose when I turned the wrong way and didn't pivot correctlly. It happened maybe 6-10 times over the next 10 years then never since. I began working in the construction industry and had to climb a lot of ladders. My knee would always make popping noises when I did, so I started favoring the other leg untill it started making popping noises too. Then I cahnged industries becaise of stuff like that and thinking I was working myself to death. Which I was.

Now I have been setting behind a desk for 9 years and gaining just a bit too much weight. When I pivot I can feel my knee trying to kick out again. It hasnt yet, but it has been close. It is a constant stress on my knee. when I go up a step I can really feel it then.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Maybe go for time, Bearman. It's easier to fit into your day than going for specific distances.

Sadly I'm not sure there's much you can do for your joints. As I get older I like to wear expensive running shoes and stuff, not because they make you perform better, although maybe they do a little bit, but because they minimize the stress on your knees and stuff.

Obviously stretching and rotations before and after helps a little.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Bearman, the DVD is on the way sooooooon
six weeks to the new nerve- endings!

Mega and Royal Art:

1. one-inch heels on your shoes, no matter the tech, are HORRIBLE for your knees.
get "Kalso" earth shoes, get a saw or mail me your shoes and I'll do it.

2. downhill and/or down stairs is NOT good for knees,
up up up

3. KNees DO NOT pivot. DO NOT try to pivot them.
Knees are precious.

4. "popping" is not the problem

5. Glucosamine/ Chrondroiten is WORTH it
It takes about six months to start working and yes, you have to take it the rest of your life
( if you can afford it ) but the other options are worse.

We should type about "warm-ups" first

but let's type about goals other than thinness.

Thinness will happen with a new workout ANYway.
So, let's REALLY be specific with other goals.

PS. this is $125 perhour that you are getting for FREE.

ONLY because you are RLSH!!!!!!!

I WILL NOT do this for other people!!!!!

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 pm

I hear ya on everything but the shoes, Flora. Remember I'm an old dude... crotchety... set in my ways. So I wear those new-fangled zigzag reeboks things instead of those new fangled toe shoes things...

Smile

"DO NOT try to pivot them" means don't do knees and ankles rotations? %#&% the army again...

Sad
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:01 pm

How old are you????
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:02 pm

I jokes.

a littel.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:10 pm

ok,

one sentence at a time.

you will need to think ALLLLLLL the way up from the feet.

Knees do not function independantly.

here is the sentence:

Bones change due to pressure put upon them.

Now, use the sentence to type about

1. feet
2. knees
3. bowlegged from riding horses
4. braces on teeth
5. posture

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:36 pm

tell me about feet if and because bones change due to pressure put upon them

same for knees

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:44 pm

bones change due to pressure put upon them at any given time, your skeleton is ten years old

if you spend three years on a horse you WILL get bow-legged

If i bind you in a whale-bone corset, your ribs WILL change

Why did we start putting braces on adult's teeth?

When I was young, NO adults got braces.

The bone-elements did not change.

The KNOWLEDGE changed

new knowledge

not new facts

Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:53 am

I always wear flat soled shoes. much more comfortable. dr sholes gel insert for arch support. very high arches. Makes it hard to run, feet made for hiking/climbing not walking/running.

is Glucosamine/ Chrondroiten available in a supplement? or is it native to certain foods?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:52 pm

I would like to see a photo of your shoes, please

Gloco/Chro is better known as
"Osteo-Bi-Flex" or " FLex-a-min"

or any of the joint supplements.

not really in foods

it is very advanced

as in, not normal nor are teeth fillings

they are advanced and we like them
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:26 pm

So... the wrong shoes gradually deform your bones which creates a ripple effect that cascades through the rest of your skeleton...?

But surely people adjust over time to compensate...

Supplements can get expensive, Artisteroi, but if you find them having a real effect it gets easier to stick with them... like for me with Piracetam.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:46 pm

Mega-Rad wrote:
So... the wrong shoes gradually deform your bones which creates a ripple effect that cascades through the rest of your skeleton...?

EXACTLY-- YOU'D GET AN "a" FOR THIS SENTENCE IF IT WASN'T FOR THE NEXT ONE

But surely people adjust over time to compensate...
THIS IS SUPPOSITION AND WISHING.

EXACTLY WHERE ARE THES PERFECT PEOPLE AND THEIR PERFECT ADAPTATIONS?

PLEASE, SHOW ME SOME.

Supplements can get expensive, Artisteroi, but if you find them having a real effect it gets easier to stick with them... like for me with Piracetam.

KNEE REPLACEMENTS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE AND LAST ONLY TEN YEARS.
GLUCO/CHRON IS NOT A RANDOM SUPPLEMENT.
IT IS AS CLOSE AS WE HAVE EVER GOTTEN TO LAYING IN NEW CARTILEGE MOLECULES
WITHOUT SURGICAL APPLICATION OF CADAVER CARTILIGE.

Smile

comments in caps above
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:59 am

that sounds good to me. I will try them, if they work I will continue.

my shoes that I wear most often

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

the heel isnt high. I looks like it because it curves up around the side.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:49 am

that heel is high

ALLLLLLL of your bones get pushed off of wear they are supposed to sit
INCLUDING your knees

see these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and all the other men's styles.

the prices are cheaper on ebay
or

you can use a saw on what you have already
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:50 am

I would NOT wear those shoes that you show

BECAUSE of the heel
Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:52 am

those on your post seem to have the toe higher than the heel. Never seen shoes like that
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:03 pm

EXACTLY!!!

These were invented in the 1970's and were

huuuuugly

The designers made a great effort and broguht the
shoes back with a bunch of styles ( as you can see )

I struggle with loads of injuries ( mostly from yoga )
and finally remembered the
Earth shoes that I bought forever ago.

I bought several pair of Earth shoes for $30 on Ebay in 2002
and have been thrilled with the results!!

PUtting on my exercise shoes started to hurt my neck a lot

and when I came home and put on my earth shoes and stood
( yes, standing computer station )
stood at my computer, my neck would feel WAAAAY better.

I started to dread putting my my exercise shoes and then, I just sawed off the heels
and solved the neck problem.

Over the next few years I tested the heck out of ALLL my shoes.

I started noticing the difference in my VERY bad knee ( karate ).

I said to myself "DUH!! bones change due to pressure put upon them!!!".

Now, I have ZERO one-inch heels

and LOTS of people in my classes have let me saw off the heels of
one pair fo their shoes and several have bought Earth shoes.

It really tickles me to have them standing on my right and on my left
with their sawed shoes and smiling

( HAPPY FLORA!!!!!!)

If you don't want to spend the moolah on the shoes, find an old pair and saw

more quesitons?

Back to top Go down
Artisteroi

Artisteroi

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:59 pm

I am going to look on ebay and see if I can find them cheaper. Would be hard to saw off a pair of sneakers I would think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Started new Exercise Routine   Started new Exercise Routine Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Started new Exercise Routine
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next