Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Go down 
+5
Crossfire the Crusader
Paladin
Flora V. Arbor
dcguardian
DRock
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DRock

DRock

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Empty
PostSubject: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:07 pm

I do a lot of work on the computer.

I'm practically 'in the saddle' for most of my workday. As well, a lot of my activities are computer related. I also write, which these days needs a computer (ever try dictating a novel with NaturallySpeaking? Takes forever!).

My wrists hurts. Constantly. A small ache constantly. Hurts a bit after a day's typing. A few days rest and it feels ok.

I do worry because my brother had carpal tunnel so bad that he had to have surgery. I'm trying to get into better typing habits, as well as using a brace (though the brace cuts down on my WPM).

But I wonder if having carpal tunnel will prevent me from defending myself properly in an RLSH fashion.

Also, if anyone knows any exercises that can help my wrists, that would be great too.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:26 pm

altering your style of defense will help. . .every self defense method using varing degrees of wrist use. . .some styles don't allow you to deviate some are more plyable. . .as far as exercises. . .here is a start. . .there are also a few videos on youtube. . .

dc

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:55 pm

mouse with the opposite hand.

have your entire work station adjusted ergonomically
- most work places will have it done for you

stretch your hands by putting your palms together
and turning your finger tips toward your chest
and hold there for a FULL MINUTE
without moving

Carpal Tunnel starts in the neck

I suggest chiropratic treatment and massage to keep your neck aligned
better
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:08 pm

I have it too, bro- just means that you have to adjust your style. Lots of forearm blocks, etc. At least, that's what's worked for me.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:17 pm

I've dealt with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for years. Get yourself a set of Chinese Exercise Balls and use them every day. They will help relieve the pain by realigning the bones in your wrist. When I started using them I couldn't even support my weight to do a push up and within two weeks I was doig 15 pushups at a time.

ALSO, try moving the mouse to the left side of your computer. It takes some adjustment to use the mouse with your left hand, but once you've adjusted Im sure you will love it. It has the added benefit of allowing you to use the mouse and write notes/do paperwork at the same time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:30 pm

Do the exercises suggested.

You do NOT want surgery if you can avoid it.

There can be severe complications:
Although symptoms may be relieved immediately after surgery, full recovery from carpal tunnel surgery can take months. Some patients may have infection, nerve damage, stiffness, and pain at the scar. Occasionally the wrist loses strength because the carpal ligament is cut. Patients should undergo physical therapy after surgery to restore wrist strength. Some patients may need to adjust job duties or even change jobs after recovery from surgery.

Mom had that years ago and it severely weakened her hands.
One never recovered past sixty percent strength, the other eighty percent strength. No infection, just weakened from the procedure.

Great site here with all sorts of straight info, including the above a complications., causes, etc.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Midnite Detective wrote:
Do the exercises suggested.

You do NOT want surgery if you can avoid it.

There can be severe complications:
Although symptoms may be relieved immediately after surgery, full recovery from carpal tunnel surgery can take months. Some patients may have infection, nerve damage, stiffness, and pain at the scar. Occasionally the wrist loses strength because the carpal ligament is cut. Patients should undergo physical therapy after surgery to restore wrist strength. Some patients may need to adjust job duties or even change jobs after recovery from surgery.

Mom had that years ago and it severely weakened her hands.
One never recovered past sixty percent strength, the other eighty percent strength. No infection, just weakened from the procedure.

Great site here with all sorts of straight info, including the above a complications., causes, etc.

THIS is the best answer!!!
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:04 pm

I tried Flora's idea so far. Hurts when you do it. Feels kinda weird afterwards. But a good kind of weird.

BTW, is occasional bouts of shaking hands a symptom?
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Shaking hands is a symptom of running for office.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:13 pm

DRock wrote:
I tried Flora's idea so far. Hurts when you do it. Feels kinda weird afterwards. But a good kind of weird.

BTW, is occasional bouts of shaking hands a symptom?

C the C is HILARIOUS and smart!

SmileSmile

good weird is a good sign.
...getting nerves to do what they haven't feels weird.

ANY fix will TAKE TIME!

Non-surgical fixes require you to actively change the area but they work

how does it feeel today?
did you get a massage or anything?

shaking hands means that nerve messaging is not getting all the way down.
What is your sleeping position?
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:44 am

@ Flora: Wrists feel stiff. Less pain. Does hurt when I do those stretches. But not as bad as last week. Doing less stuff online in the evening, so it's giving my wrists a break.

Sleeping position? Mostly face down or on the side.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:38 pm

hmmm, rebuilding and re-working the area will
feel odd.
You can ice the area for twenty minutes twice a day.

Have you been mouseing with the other hand yet?
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Trying to. Awkward. I switch over when I have to get something done quicker.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Left hand mousing is one excellent way to take the strain off...I almost NEVER use the mouse with my right hand.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:11 pm

it only takes acouple of weeks.
youcandoit
youcandoit
youcandoit!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:07 am

My friend used to wear braces of some sort on her wrists to prevent this from happening...Might be something to look into.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:44 am

the brace does not prevent.

it is one of the cheap-a$$ ways that doctors get paitients out of the office

It's called a "management technique"
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:11 am

Doctors will also tell you that the exercise balls will not help. Why? Because if you rehab yourself then they cant do the surgery. Of course patients will tell you that the surgery does nor work and puts you on a one way path to disability. I was diagnosed 17 years ago and have never had surgery, BUT through use of that simple exercise and changing habits (mouse on left) I have been able to manage and live relatively pain free. (I do occasionally overdo things and have wrist pain as a result - but not often)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:35 am

I've had this years ago when I was a hairdresser, the reason I'm not doing it anymore. I couldn't switch hands and cut with my left one, because I was suffering in both, so I did the only thing I could after trying the braces. I haven't had anymore problems with either one since then.

As for the surgery, listen to them, though I can't say anything bad. My mom had both of hers done and they both fully recovered and my father had his right one done with no complications either. I guess they were both lucky. But don't take what I said about them and assume you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:53 am

all that is done during the surgery is that they cut open the sheath
a bit.

it's not and magical miracle.

and, yes, ONLY the surgery is financially rewarded!!

Them who do the rehab that ppl need in the first place
are BARELY financially rewarded

What C the C typed is "A+"
Back to top Go down
The Grey Man

The Grey Man

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:48 pm

could replace the mouse with a trackball, this is what I've got here at home, no moving the wrist at all...

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:24 am

hmmm
i need one of these all of a sudden
Back to top Go down
kapes13

kapes13

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:25 am

Yes the Trackball will help with the situation. Trackball is difficult with design software like Photoshop and such if you get one.
Back to top Go down
Champion

Champion

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 am

i used to use one of those year and years ago. i loved it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:14 pm

The Grey Man wrote:
could replace the mouse with a trackball, this is what I've got here at home, no moving the wrist at all...

This thing drove me goddamn nuts when GM got it several years ago.
Now I love the damn thing. It's so nice on the wrist. All you use is your thumb and your index finger.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?   Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next