Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc

Go down 
+6
ZERO
dcguardian
Sonic Eagle
Urban Avenger
Sparrow
kapes13
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:21 pm

And here's the pic I rarely show:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When I was 16 years old at 5'11" and 122 Lbs. I was so badly bullied and abused at home & school the entire time I was a kid & had such bad nerves that I was totally emaciated, and a total wreck. (You couls see ribs.)

But I had comic & TV role models & desire, no matter how you want to do it your fittness goal CAN be achived if you stay dedicated. It doesn't matter if you want to be a big massive powerlifter or a little cut up "Toby McGuire looking" guy, you can do it. That lesson applies to just about everything in life as well.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Superhero wrote:
Whatever. And what pic? I don't see one.

This is why i usually don't post under the training threads though because nobody agrees on theory of what to do. And even if they did Every body is different (meso, Ecto, endo, etc) I'm 42 years old & have been training for 25 of them, I have a CPT cert as well. I do what has worked well for me & people can try or disguard it.

any way back on topic The best blend of strength & agility will work best for this type of work. I lean more towards strong.

pic of your fabulous bod.

I am not just a personal trainer.
I am a provider of continuing ed credits for other personal trainers.

I've had national press nine time, local DC press 28 times,
was on the radio, talking about fitness, five days a week for 3 years with 600,000 educated listeners,
am a Recognized Expert Witness on the subject of Weight Lifting,
completed
the MAT Intership in '05, have 31 years of Yoga training and am Certified to teach all aspects of Yoga
by Ever Green Yoga since 1995,
shave been in charge of 10, different group exercise program around the
country since 1991, responsible for hiring and firing,
has 25 years of five different styles of martial arts and am Arizona State Champion 1985,
Pilates Certified, Resistaball Certified, Bosu Certified, Cycle Reebok Certified IDEA member -long standing.

Yes, only I could possibly have more the share than the wonderful poerson with the fab bod known as "Superhero".

I WON'T type all my stuff on other sites because
I PAID in time money and effort to learn it all.

I type this info to RLSH because you guys are THE BEST
and if there was anyone that I wanted to be in perfect condition,
IT IS YOU-ALL!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------

beginning your lift 1.5 hours after the last bite of a carefully planned meal
and doing every exercise exactly as the muscle is attached, twice a week
is so in tune with the exactness of the Solar System that it gives what
surpasses the joy expressed by religious people.

Hall-ay-flipping-loo-yah for the PERFECTNESS
of WEIGHT LIFTING - the most non-agressive aggressive thing in the Solar System!

MOST of what you think of as aging can be COMPLETELY handled with weight lifting, eating, sleep, water/pee breaks and breathing.
The rest can be solved with cardio, skills and sports.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:52 pm

Oh, I thought you had posted one and it didn't post.

Anyway I'm not disputing your education or knowledge Babe, but like I said this is why I usually stay out of how to train discussions. I just do what has worked well for me over the years & if people want to know how I did it, I tell them.

It just goes to show that theories vary though

You say hit the bodypart twice a week, it works for you.

My friend tracy hits the bodypart everyday, she does round robin type training.

I hit the bodypart once a week, But I was taught by Tom O' Donell who's a WPA Master champ with 7 world records in strength.

What these kids need to do (just my oppinion) is try all three. See which one they respond to best.

Then there's guys like Zimmer who think training is crawling up & down the side of a building. As long as they get there it's all cool.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Any exercise is better than no exercise.

What I type has nothing to do with what works for me.

I have to know and understand what works for every one and why.

I stand, firmly, by "twice a week"

( meee so bossy~! )
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:35 pm

There is a program called

"Last One Standing"

The power lifter CAN'T last for poooooo!

him a puffer/sweater!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
There is a program called

"Last One Standing"

The power lifter CAN'T last for poooooo!

him a puffer/sweater!!!

Back in the day when I was doing powerlifting, I was also doing gymnastics and I used to do wind sprints pushing a one ton truck. I suppose I would have been stronger if i had focused solely on power lifting, but that really wasn't the goal.

And yes, the pure runners had better endurance, but if I was carrying 150 pounds and they were carrying 60 pounds, it all came out about the same.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 pm

doing both rulez

I polled a bunch of the big guys that I know.

Less than one percent of them do any cardio.

They, now, look at me with fear.

BWAAAHAAAAA~!
Back to top Go down
Alchemist

Alchemist

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:12 pm

If fighting: the Strength is the most important... I mean, you don`t fight more than 1 minute, except is the multiple opponents, the the endurance and speed can save you (RUN).
For the patrol I guess is the endurance

I have very fast and accurate hands and legs, but just weak (kung fu sanda) so my hits always landed but no KO... and if my guard was failed from a strong opponent... 1 hit enough to lose (can`t back to guard)
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:38 pm

I dunno what the hell happened to me over the last six years. but I measure my endurance by how long I can play DDR for (dance dance revolution for anyone who's never heard me speak of it).

six years ago I could play for hours on end and usually need nothing more than a towel and a bottle of water. sometimes 3 or 4 hours with only a few minutes of breaks at a time.

if you've never seen it, this is an amazing example:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

now I can't even do 20 minutes without wanting to keel over or like I am going to have a heart attack.

endurance is crucial.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:42 pm

i hear that thing is a bitch. Did you stop playing for awhile & then go back to it or has your endurence tapered off over the years?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:52 pm

I stopped playing for a while, I've gone through phases over the years where I will play it regularly then stop. then go back and stop.

the thing about getting into shape whether it be strength or endurance, both of which I've been at my peak at some point or another, is that you have to maintain them religiously to keep it that way.

but I think for the most part my endurance has tapered off. I get really frustrated when I can't play as well as I used to.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:12 pm

Ah! I enjoy the sound of my own laughter!!!
WAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:34 pm

Did I say something funny?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:42 pm

OK, I am going to type very expensive stuff now.

Typing to me about "what works for you"

is NOT the same as knowing what actually is going on at the molecular level in all people.

I will not type this for very many other people because
it takes time and
I paid a LOT to learn it in time and money and
I CHARGE for this
and I only type this because you guys are SPECIAL

MUSCLES WEAKEN AFTER FOUR DAYS OF REST IN anyone!!!!!!!

This is why lifting less than twice a week gives you feelings in our body
that you might call "aging" or "I'm older" or "I can't do that any more"
and you are wrong.

THE bottom line for cardio is three times a week
because (pay attention here )
we CAN'T get you guys to understand the details of twice a week.

You get so confused that we have to say things the simplest way possible.

Are you embarrassed now?
Don't be.
It takes a looooooong time to learn all this.

I marvel at my knowledge and cherish cherish cherish my teachers and their teachers.

1. lift twice a week > NOT mondaywednesday because
it is too long from wednesday to monday
and
you end up starting over ( molecularly ) and feel achy OFTEN

2. do cardio six days a week and DO NOT take any time off.
Put it in the same catagory as teeth brushing.

If you simply haven't that much time, go for every other day.

MINIMUM: 15 minutes
Maximum: N/A

Questions?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Yeah how much did you pay for your ego?

I do what works for me, if and when I do start over, I start over. Sometimes I will go for months and months without exercising at all. And then other periods I will workout or exercise hours and hours a week on whatever schedule I can afford. Anyone with a decent knowledge of exercise and fitness could tell you the same exact stuff you just listed. For me, its kinda like well no duh.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Did I say something funny?

berry berry funny, son~!

Today I:

dug up a whole bunch of ivy, planted a fig tree, changed clothes,
taught Cardio Karate for an hour,
abs for an hour,
stretch for 1.5.

Then, shoulders class.
Then, tended to a bunch of animals

I would mop the fight right with your winded behind, son!!!!!!!!

Try to keep up with gramma, son!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:

I do what works for me, if and when I do start over, I start over. Sometimes I will go for months and months without exercising at all. And then other periods I will workout or exercise hours and hours a week on whatever schedule I can afford. Anyone with a decent knowledge of exercise and fitness could tell you the same exact stuff you just listed. For me, its kinda like well no duh.

This off-on business shows EXACTLY what you haven't grasped no matter how many people have said it to you !

Do you see why I worry, son?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:

This off-and-on stuff is a path to injury and words coming out of your mouth
about "getting older" and it is not anything to do with older.

Put all of your exercise ideas in the same catagory as teeth brushing.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:54 pm

UA, ego is not the saying of the amount of work or the props to the teachers.

inapropriate ego is saying that I know more because me me me me me is better
not that work is better.

This is earned stuff.

I type all the stuff that you are confused into equating with ego
to tell you that you are getting something expensive for free

...a gift...not to be snorted at

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:57 pm

Tell me this:

how high is the heart rate supposed to go to
elicit a training response in the heart muscle?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Just cuz you are old enough to be my mom doesn't mean you can talk to me like I'm your son. So kindly, knock it off. My life's been busy or inconvenient at times and can't always make room for constant physical training.

And as for the whole ego thing, just because you may know a lot about a particular subject does not mean you should talk down to others and be condascending to them. I know a lot about very specific subjects that you have no clue about, but would I ever talk that way about it to you? No, I'm just less arrogant than that.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:00 pm

I don't know cuz I really don't care. If everyone trained by numbers I don't think everyone would be very well off.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Ya know Flora says some helpful things sometimes. Maybe just roll with it. But if something works for you, obviously you have the option to just keep doing it no matter what somebody says on a message board.

Smile

I'm not much for the heart rate thing either... if my heart is beating "pretty fast" I feel like I'm getting a training effect. But I'm by no means an expert.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:04 pm

Thank you eon. No one needs a college degree to get into shape.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:10 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Just cuz you are old enough to be my mom doesn't mean you can talk to me like I'm your son. So kindly, knock it off. My life's been busy or inconvenient at times and can't always make room for constant physical training.

And as for the whole ego thing, just because you may know a lot about a particular subject does not mean you should talk down to others and be condascending to them. I know a lot about very specific subjects that you have no clue about, but would I ever talk that way about it to you? No, I'm just less arrogant than that.

Honey, you aren't known for your lack of arrogance
Wink

Yes, numbers matter on this subject.

Yes, I can give you info that you can't get elsewhere
and
yes, I am willing to help RLSH for free.

it DOES hurt my feelings when you argue with me.
I am not sharing ANYTHING but the VERY best
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc   Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Age old question: High Strength vs High Endurance etc
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next