Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

YouTubeism

Go down 
+5
Urban Avenger
Superhero
E0N (Inactive)
ZERO
Gadgetastic!
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:58 pm

This is a long one so go to the bathroom before you start.

Now that I've managed to clear some of the net-clutter I've developed over the years (you would not believe how many defunct webpages, partial blogs, and picture galleries I had out there that were still up!) I want to restart my net-life in a more organized fashion.

YouTube is something I'd never really explored beyond the occasional nut-shot video. But I like the concept of an online journal and I am a believer in the cliché, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

I've decided to become a YouTuber (YouTubite? YouTubist? YouTubian?) Anyway, I'm going to start out with a simple and familiar concept. Training to be a Superhero.

Okay, get it out of your system. "It's been done before." "Oh God, not another one." etc.

I know it's been done. I know it's old hat. But it's also something near and dear to me. Besides, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I just thought this might help keep me interested and honest about improving myself.

See, before I found out about RLSH I was already a huge fan of superheroes. I believed then as I believe now, that a superhero is an idealized person. It’s what we’d be if we could have built ourselves from scratch.

As an Aspie I am a very pattern/visual/metaphor-thinker. Before I can do much of anything, I generally need a framework or theme to base it on. Back when I weighed in at 293 pounds, I was desperate to get fit and decided to use the theme of “Superhero Training” to motivate myself. Online research into this subject lead to the book Becoming Batman, which lead to trying to find similar books, resulting in the search term, “Superheroes in Real Life,” leading, eventually, through a series of pages and sites, to Gadgetastic! Yaayyyyyy!

Unfortunately I’ve managed to bounce back up 25 pounds because I’ve lost sight the training aspect of things. Booooooo!

So that’s why I’ve decided to start my own YouTube Superhero Training video diary. Not to get a billion visitors or a book deal or whatever. But just to get myself back on track.

Now for the, “why the hell did you make me read all that?” part.

I’d like your input. The videos mean I don’t have to write book-length posts to describe everything I’m doing and thinking. Evidence to the contrary, I don’t like long posts. I also don’t have any particular requirements for input, except that it is constructive. I’ll post here when a new vid is up. And you can all respond as you think will help. I respect a lot of you and value your insights and hope some of you can see your way clear to lend an intellectual hand or two in this project.

Gadgetastic!
“Becoming Gadgetastic!” Available in bookstores no where!
Back to top Go down
ZERO

ZERO

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Just don't go too hard at first, or your body will be like "F you". Make it something to look forward to.

But I'm guessing you already knew that. Sometimes retraining is harder than starting from the beginning.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:41 pm

"...nut-shot video..."?

You're talking about specifically and exclusively physical training here?

Sounds like a good plan to keep you motivated. I find that doing fun things helps, too. For example getting the motivation to powerbock is sometimes a lot easier than getting motivated about normal running or hiking. Twirling sticks is easier to get excited about than lifting weights. etc etc. (Just IMO.)
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:10 pm

EON
"Nut-Shot" The obligatory humorous video all cutures enjoy depicting a male getting struck in the groin and the subsequent pained reaction.
I suppose there'll be some mental training as well. But the physical aspects are easier to define to start with.

Zero,
Good advice. Thanks. Yeah, I was on a good track but got derailed. I know that once I get the ball rolling again it will gain momentum, but dang that first push is tough.

Gadgetastic!
"Wolfman's got NARDS!"
Back to top Go down

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Sounds like a plan. I look forward to your videos. And by the way, what did you think of Zehr's book?

-A
________

The quest for justice is eternal
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Is that the "I Superhero" one? Haven't read it yet.

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:46 pm

No, he's the guy who wrote Becoming Batman.

-A
_______

Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Oh. I'm so bad with names. Becoming Batman was awsome. What i liked most about it is that while it used a comic book character as a basis, all the science was solid. I'm inspired to reread it.

Gadgetastic!
Gade-who?
Back to top Go down

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:47 pm

I just finished a great book titled Superman on the Couch: What Superheroes Really Tell Us about Ourselves and Our Society, and another called The Power of Comics that has a short chapter on RLSH. I dug Becoming Batman, though I thought he romanticized the section on martial arts training. I'd like to see a similar book on V for Vendetta, folks fighting institutional or structural violence (maybe without the terrorism). I guess that's what academic lit is for!

-A
______

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:42 pm

You might want to check out "The Myth of the American Superhero."

My problems with "Becoming Batman" were that he focused on Batman as an athlete while pretty much ignoring any data he could get from soldiers, cops, security guards, etc, and that he supposes the existence of a world where Batman would regularly have to fight people like the Joker or Bane... but we don't live in that world.
Back to top Go down

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:07 am

@ Eon-Never heard of the other title. I'll check it out. Thank you.

In regards to the original topic of the thread, do you plan on doing weekly updates, Gadget? What sort of topics will you cover?

-A
______

Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:38 am

Youtube is fun. It's definately been helpful to team justice.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:40 am

EON
I see what you mean about "Becoming Batman." Hadn't thought about that. But your post does give me some fuel for the vids. I will definitly be contact police, EMT, etc for the vids if they'll cooperate.

Aristocrat,
Right now I'm figuring out a basic outline for the series. As for schedule. I'd like to do weekly.

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Update
The sound on my video camera sucks. There is no external microphone jack. I'm working on some options but may wind up having to actually modify the thing myself to accomodate a better mic. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to mod hardware. Wish me luck.

Gadgetastic!
Why do i have parts left over?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:08 pm

Amateur film making books all advocate ignoring that there are mikes on cameras and using an external mike. You can layer the audio with video pretty easily in most video editors. Sony Vegas is a good one for the price. You also probably want to cut it into pieces to guard against it going out of sinc.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Funny you should advise that. After she saw my post my wife said, "You are NOT going to take apart our camera!" She apparently has some skills and is willing to edit the audio and synch it to the vid. Clearly she's doing this more out of fear for the camera than kindness. Either way... WIN!

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:38 pm

If were you I would just record the audio on one device while recording the video. this is what professional film makers do as the camera do not record the audio at all and the audio is recorded completely separate. synch them like that.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:12 pm

That is the current plan. Now I want to put together a basic "studio." I'm thinking a sheet hanging on a wall with a dry erase board. Good enough for a start.

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:20 pm

is the sheet for chromakeying or just to have a blank background?
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Blank background.

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:08 pm

sounds good man. if you haven't added me on youtube do so so I can keep track of your stuff as well.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Basic site is up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Sound issues are solved. Took some lateral thinking but sound is now "check."

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Man... by December 2012? Because that's my goal and coincidentally would allow us both to be soldiers fighting against the Mayan apocalypse.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:47 pm

There's too much good science against the 12/21/2012 thing, so i'm not too worried. However, should it happen anyway, being super-fit will definiately be a survival advantage. cyclops

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

YouTubeism Empty
PostSubject: Re: YouTubeism   YouTubeism Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

YouTubeism
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: