Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wise choices.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Wise choices. Empty
PostSubject: Wise choices.   Wise choices. Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:58 pm

This is an article I posted quite some time ago on a now defunct website.

I Hope someone can use it.

Culinary Lecture 1: Your body is a temple, so why defile it?

“I’ll take the Bacon Double cheeseburger, a large Chili cheese fry, and a large chocolate shake please”

To put it gently….UGH!

The American Heart Association recommends that we get no more than 30% of our calories from fat. The average American gets 55% to 60 % (depending upon which sources you reference) from fat, and most of that from the unhealthiest of fats, the saturated animal fats, which are so dangerous to our health. This is the fat that clogs our arteries leading to heart attacks, strokes, congestive heart failure, diabetes, all types of cancers, and simply shortens our lives, usually making the last few years miserable and painful.

Section 1) Your body is a temple!

I am quite sure everyone knows they should take care of themselves, but in todays hectic jump out of bed running, and keep running until you get back to bed society, it is often quite difficult at best. What it comes down to this very simple statement, Garbage in, garbage out, to achieve a balance we must be balanced on the inside.
When we achieve that balance, it opens us up to be more receptive to new ideas, it also helps our energy flow with both of these in place, it will be easier to work with the Force, both with our minds and our senses.

Section 2) Eating Closer to healthy….on the go.

YES!!!! It is possible to eat healthier on the go, most of it is common sense, pick the salad over the burger, baked over fried, go easy on dessert ,drink water instead of sugary sodas. Almost every chain will have a healthy option for you, there are times you made need to speak up and request something; don’t be afraid, it’s your money you should be happy with the items you pick. Due to the fact that every local is different, you may need to do some research on your own, but here are a few suggestions:
1) Chipotle Grill: They are the King of Healthy fast food , Incredibly fresh ingredients, And a good selection of meals with no meats make it a fantastic choice
2) Healthy Bites: Very imaginative menu, ranging from Grilled tofu panini, And if you like mushrooms, A grilled Portobello Philly sandwich that is so good you just wont want to leave.
3) And in a pinch, any of the Big 3 (McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy’s) all have a salad option, just remember not to drown it with dressing.

Section 3) Zen and the art Of Cooking.

Healthy food doesn’t need to be bland, or uninteresting, just remember one thing, for the most part, the faster if moves while cooking the better it is for you (A slice of prime rib cooks for 3.5 hours, A veggie stir-fry takes 5 minutes).

1) Mindful cooking: Before Choosing recipes to prepare, consider to yourself, does it just sound interesting, or would you really enjoy it? Do you have the ability to use the freshest items possible? If so then be prepared to focus on the task at hand, food mindfully prepared tastes better, and is more satisfying in the long run.
2) First, allot some time to prepare a few dishes that seem enjoyable to you, consider giving your self an extra 30 minutes on top of the time you have figured on using, partially because rushing will only serve to undermine mindfulness, and to make sure you have cleaned up properly.
3) Second, Read your recipes, become as familiar with them as a good friend. Check twice to be sure you have any ingredients needed.
4) Third, Wash, Chop, Stir, And Sift. Do these, and these only think about what you are doing, Breathe, concentrate, be mindful of the knife, the spoon, and the experience.
5) Fourth, Before getting rid of anything consider it…Can they be used else where? Carrot shreds, celery stalks, mushroom stems, these can all be used to make a wonderful vegetable stock, or to compost your garden.
6) Keep it simple! Relax, and enjoy the process of creation.
7) All the recipes to be presented will be constructed to bring internal balance, any questions or comments Can be sent to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cool

Section 4) Soups And Sauces

Basic Vegetable Stock
Yield: Approx. 3/4 gallon
Ingredients
1 pound course chopped carrots (1-2 inch chunks are fine)
1 pound course chopped celery
1 large onion peeled, cut in eights
4 oz. mushrooms
5 cloves of garlic
1 T. peppercorns
3 sprigs thyme (or 1 T. thyme)
5 cloves
¼ cup soy sauce
1 gallon of water

In a large pot place all your vegetables, and begin cooking let them sit till they begin to caramelize well on one side (dark brown, but not burnt) stir them and let them cook 7-10 more minutes without stirring. It should smell wonderful at this time. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until it looses about 25% of its volume. Strain the stock what you have left is the perfect base for any Vegetarian soup or sauce. Eat or discard the veggies.

Adders: (these are up to you)
3 oz ginger
2 oz Lee Kum Kee chili garlic paste
3 oz Cornstarch slurry (adds body).

1) Three mushroom soup: Add 6 oz. diced domestic mushrooms; 6 oz. julienne (strips) shitake mushrooms, and 6 oz. Diced portabella mushrooms to the full quantity of broth, simmer for 30 minutes.
2) Vegetarian Bean: ( I prefer the little bag from the grocery with 15 different kinds of beans in it) cook these on the side for about an hour following that directions on the package , but don’t add the season package, drain your beans, then add the full quantity of stock, and one cup each of diced carrots , celery, and onions. Simmer until beans are soft (about another hour) adding more liquid if necessary. Garnish with diced firm tofu.
3) Egg-Drop Soup: Prepare the stock with the ginger adder, separate the yolks from the whites of six eggs using the whites only, whisk well in a bowl (just for a minute).
Using hot stock (a light simmer, not boiling) stir once and slowly add the whites.
Garnish with green onion. (This soup may benefit from the addition of a bit of white pepper, but that is a personal preference).
4)Alfredo sauce: (yes I said Alfredo sauce) Take one “brick” of soft tofu and process it in a blender or food processor till absolutely smooth, bring 1 cup of stock to a simmer, add the tofu, 4 oz of parmesan cheese(grated, NOT the stuff from a green can it wont melt right, to much cellulose fiber(wood)), 1oz white wine and a pinch of black pepper cook for about 5 minutes.

With the basic stock and the tofu trick you can create almost any sauce in a vegetarian style….I hope you enjoyed this lecture, as time permitting I will be hammering out A healthful entrée lecture next.

This ends the first section of my culinary lecture .

Any questions please contact [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Wise choices. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wise choices.   Wise choices. Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:55 am

Great read Patriot Prime! (Thanks for the myspace request, as well)
Back to top Go down

Wise choices. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wise choices.   Wise choices. Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:17 pm

A friend of mine is trying to go vegan-ish for his health, so remember: Its not healthy to replace meat you do not eat with baked goods. :LOL:
Back to top Go down

Wise choices. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wise choices.   Wise choices. Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:23 pm

My BIL tried to go vegetarian for 'aesthetic' reasons, but his health simply wouldn't allow the change, especially with an iron deficiency. He had to return to eating meat.
Back to top Go down

Wise choices. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wise choices.   Wise choices. Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:06 pm

Victim wrote:
My BIL tried to go vegetarian for 'aesthetic' reasons, but his health simply wouldn't allow the change, especially with an iron deficiency. He had to return to eating meat.

There are choices that can be made Veggie -wise that can fulfill both the iron and protein needs of the body : Even for someone who works out.
This link[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] may help.
as well as[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Back to top Go down
The Grey Man

The Grey Man

Wise choices. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wise choices.   Wise choices. Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:27 pm

I tried vegetarianism for a time, now keep in mind I did it smart, talked with a dietitian. Figured out combinations to get enough protein and iron, etc... made it a month before my body craved meat so much I could taste it all the time. I couldn't look at a cow (pig, rabbit, squirrel, etc) without actively salivating and being consumed with the need for meat...

Here's what I learned, the human being as an animal is an omnivore (om·ni·vore (ŏm'nə-vôr', -vōr') N. Animal that eats both plant and animal matter.) that means that we need a certain amount of meat in our diet (or at least I do, lol). I simply need meat in my diet, period. Dunno why...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wise choices. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wise choices.   Wise choices. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Wise choices.
Page 1 of 1