Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Zimmer Method

Go down 
+9
Anonyman
Coyote
ZERO
Zombie
E0N (Inactive)
Superhero
Iron Lamb
thanatos
Zimmer
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 am

Here's a setup that utilizes what I've learned in 5 years of doing what we do. I've been in each of these six roles.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Let me explain.

Oracle is online, out of field, with ready access to mission-specific information, including databases, news reports, video feed, maps and more. They are connected by phone to field teams via Communication Officer, who liaisons information between the Oracle and teammates.

In addition to Communication, each team also has at least one Combat Officer and at least one Medical Officer. The Combat Officer is appropriately armed and armored to protect the team. The Medical Officer has training and equipment to handle trauma emergencies and administer CPR. 

Optional team positions include Bait and Traceur. Bait is someone who acts and dresses in a manner to maximize the chance of a mugging/assault/rape attempt and walks well away, but in line of sight, of the rest of the team, who may split up to watch Bait from multiple angles. Bait may carry a purse or handheld electronic device in attempt to get it snatched. Traceurs are those trained in parkour and buildering. Traceurs can get to rooftops and behind fences quickly  if the need arises.

There are other skills that could be vital for missions not listed above. Consider having a Linguist fluent in Spanish or another language. You may often need to converse with people that don't know English. 

Also consider having someone knowledgable in gang symbols and tags, or forensic science, or detective skills. If you're making a team, draw on a diversity of skills and backgrounds. 

When you're a member of a team, always be aware of the vital skills that are needed and fill that need. Always learn more skills and deepen your knowledge of the interests you have. Interest becomes passion becomes experience becomes expertise.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Zimmer on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:22 am

nice. simple. effective usage that could be specialized to any mission.
Back to top Go down
Iron Lamb

Iron Lamb

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:33 am

One word: AWESOME.
I would love to work on a team like that but not many RLSH around where I live.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:25 am

The best thing about this approach is that it's flexible. The medic, combatant and one communicating with an Oracle can all be ONE person. Just make sure that person (YOU) can function in those roles.
Back to top Go down

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:45 am

Zimmer wrote:
The medic, combatant and one communicating with an Oracle can all be ONE person.

"I knocked out three with one swing."
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 am

It's interesting for me, I guess due to geographic location. I either fly solo, or with like six guys so we're kind of discombobulated when it comes to mission orginization like this but this layout is awesome.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks... this kind of stuff is what forums should be for. Smile Makes a lot of sense, too...
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:31 am

Seems like the Traceur and the orical could be one person if they had a mobile HQ. They could be on a roof top watching over the rest of the team as well as stay connected. Hell maybe give them a spot light so if someone does get into trouble they might beable to scare them off or at least light things up. I'm guessing this is how your team rolls?
Back to top Go down
ZERO

ZERO

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Non-RLSH

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:50 pm

This is something we've been developing for quite a while, and it's looking like with the expanded roster it's going to be able to be implemented every time.

The beauty is that it won't just have to be us 4 killing ourselves to get our schedules in line now.

So yeah. That's how the NYI rolls.
Back to top Go down
Coyote

Coyote

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:56 pm

That's pretty impressive, Zimmer.

The more I read on this forum, the more I am impressed with the intelligence of the members here.

Coyote
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm glad you guys like it.

Superhero: Most of my patrols were combobulated as well. I prefer to have a checklist and go through it so I don't have "oh I forgot to set up an Oracle" missions or "how did I forget to bring a second flashlight" missions.

Zombie: It's important to have the Oracle focused on Internet and computer resources so no one else has to be checking a map or running a name through database in the middle of a mission. They can talk and listen and it's all alot simpler.

If the mission were only limited to one block, yes, the Traceur could watch from above on a rooftop. If it had wifi, they could also be the Oracle. However, taking a laptop on patrol when you're climbing and jumping around isn't alot of fun. Also, their attention would be divided, and they'd have to abandon their computer if the team needed them. There are also weather conditions as laptops don't work well when they get wet.
Back to top Go down
ZERO

ZERO

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Non-RLSH

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Let me just add to this something that we've also been discussing...

If you have sufficient numbers, a second and much more inconspicuous shadow team may also be implemented. This is what I call the Shadow Cage, and it can be extremely useful when in an area that is packed very densely with people.

Also, a point of reminder in accordance with the Zimmer Method: As shown on the second diagram, you often have a tactical advantage when two small teams roll out, within an agreed upon space of one another, always within the space or even traveling on parallel streets.

This way when one team encounters a situation, a second team is only a distress call away when employing dependable communications (i.e. walkie talkies or bluetooth sets)

Like I said, he already has this in the diagram but I wanted to make sure it was stated.
Back to top Go down
Anonyman

Anonyman

Category :
  • Hero Support

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:24 pm

This is pretty damn useful. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:23 am

There's many ways to change up this method of patrol, and you SHOULD, adapting your approach to meet the task at hand. The best leaders are ones that delegate.
Back to top Go down

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:02 am

hows that new guy i sent you working out?
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:53 am

Battlestar came to a meeting. Zero, Samaritan, Battlestar and I. Went really well. Looking forward to having an 8 person team, not including 3 support personel.
Back to top Go down

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 am

cheers
Back to top Go down

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 am

Zimmer wrote:
There's many ways to change up this method of patrol, and you SHOULD, adapting your approach to meet the task at hand. The best leaders are ones that delegate.

It's also one of the hardest things to do as a leader, delegate. Having responsibility and accountability over someone else's actions is unavoidable but stressful!
Back to top Go down

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Mon May 02, 2011 2:40 am

looking back on this, Zimmer, have you ever looked at the FEMA NIMS stuff?
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 pm

I haven't. I really want to get my CERT training started some time when my life isn't ridiculously hectic. You have a link, KO?
Back to top Go down

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

NIMS came out of post-9/11 communication disasters. the idea was to make a working and scalable model for incident command. for fire dept and EMS, theyre now requiring NIMS 100, 200, 700, and 800 to be compliant to get FEMA grants.

its long and drawn out... dry as shit, and hard to follow. but if you wrap your head around it, i think you will see the parallels to the Zimmer method and maybe get a few ideas to refine it.

but FEMA has a ton of courses online BTW. i know youre busy, but when you get the time, you should check it out.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue May 17, 2011 8:11 pm

I generally like the outline you have posted. How do you conduct pre-patrol procedures, and who handles strategic planning and post-patrol analysis?
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Tue May 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Pre-patrol procedures such as stocking equipment and securing body armor should be everyone's job. Are you speaking of other procedures?

Strategic planning would be outlined before the mission and everyone sticks to the plan unless there's an emergency, and there should be a common sense protocol for that too. Each team would have a field leader to call the shots so there's no death by committee in the field. Post-patrol analysis would be again up to everyone to participate and contribute.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Wed May 18, 2011 1:08 pm

It's not quite what I meant, but you answered my questions all the same. Sounds like you guys got some real organization, and use your resources intelligently. Do the same people have leadership roles on patrol, or do you rotate that responsibility?
Back to top Go down
ZERO

ZERO

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Non-RLSH

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1Thu May 19, 2011 2:34 pm

Whoever has the most knowledge of the area is usually the one that takes lead.

I.E.: Samaritan in the Bronx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Zimmer Method  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zimmer Method    Zimmer Method  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Zimmer Method
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next