Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CPR/AED

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

CPR/AED Empty
PostSubject: CPR/AED   CPR/AED Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm

I was asked via PM to relate my CPR training on this site. I received the standard Red Cross refresher training that all military people get at least once a year. Actually because of some administrative error I ended up getting the training every six or eight months. So first of all please don't consider anything I say here as training, I urge you instead to get trained by a pro.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

However, anecdotally the training lasted about three hours. We practiced on plastic dummies. They are pretty good, when you blow into the mouth the chest actually rises. The number of breaths to compressions has changed somewhat over the years so please seek out the latest training, they are always making medical advances. I've heard they even have compression only CPR training out there but I haven't done this yet.

We also used the AED which is the device that you see in movies when the doctor yells CLEAR and then zap. The modern AED's are pretty idiot proof. You attach the leads just like the picture on the device and it tells you in a computer voice what to do, it really is that simple.

I don't want to type too much here but instead urge you to please seek out professional training through your local American Red Cross.

After the class, if you pass the test which is both practical and written, you will receive a nice color book with all kinds of first aid tips and a certification card that is good for two years.

This training should be lifesaving 101 stuff for any class of RLSH. Remember the life you save could be mine.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

CPR/AED Empty
PostSubject: Re: CPR/AED   CPR/AED Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:56 pm

By "standard Red Cross refresher training that all military people get at least once a year" are you talking about CLS?
Back to top Go down

CPR/AED Empty
PostSubject: Re: CPR/AED   CPR/AED Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:07 pm

For some reason CLS isn't ringing any bells.
Back to top Go down
Trixus

Trixus

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

CPR/AED Empty
PostSubject: Re: CPR/AED   CPR/AED Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Combat Lifesaver is CLS

Also I am certified to teach AED and CPR but I may not be for much longer, I got it to re-certify my soldiers.

When I get to FL I would be happy to teach any level of medical class to any RLSH from basic to advanced techniques for real world applications

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

CPR/AED Empty
PostSubject: Re: CPR/AED   CPR/AED Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Yep. "Combat Life-Saver." I think I may have done it a total of four times in my career -- used to be where they taught you to give IVs, but they got rid of that part about a year ago because the most likely thing to do is to apply a pressure bandage.

I asked because I've never received this annual training if it isn't CLS -- so it's not something standard all military people get. I'm trying to get training on AEDs through work as an "Earthquake Response Coordinator," but it's nobody's priority, so it keeps getting put off.

Thanks for the link, though... I just got off the phone with those guys locally... very helpful. Smile Sounds like it will actually be easier to do all this on a Saturday as a civilian.
Back to top Go down

CPR/AED Empty
PostSubject: Re: CPR/AED   CPR/AED Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:27 pm

CLS is not a program my branch uses. But it sounds like it has merit above and beyond what we are using. Thanks for teaching me something new.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CPR/AED Empty
PostSubject: Re: CPR/AED   CPR/AED Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

CPR/AED
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: