Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Japan Radiation

Go down 
+2
Superhuman
Animal
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Animal

Animal

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

If This Leak Bursts Into Something Bigger, It Will Take Less Than A Week For The Radiation To Hit California. The Potassium Iodide Pills Are Out Of Stock Because People Are Worried About The Radiation.What Can We Do To Protect Ourselves And Each Other. Maybe Think Of A Way To Change The Radiations Course?
Back to top Go down
Superhuman

Superhuman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:51 pm

I was just thinking of the same thing.... Hmmm I'll look into it, see if can find some answers...
Back to top Go down
Animal

Animal

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:54 pm

That Would Be Good Thank You
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Where is your data for this?
Back to top Go down
Roswell

Roswell

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:16 pm

Animal wrote:
Maybe Think Of A Way To Change The Radiations Course?

How would you go about doing something like that?

If the Navy seeded the clouds over the Pacific between the US and Japan (out in the middle of "nowhere"...if there is such a thing in this worst case scenario), would an increase of rain storms help bleed away some fallout from the atmosphere before reaching the mainland?

I don't know the science underlying the many factors involved, so my above theory has just slightly more credibility to it than my next educated guess....put on our tin foil hats and start chanting...
Back to top Go down
Animal

Animal

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 am

I Have Done No Research Except For What The News Has Said. Apparently There Is A Radiation Leak From One Of The Major Nuclear Plants Because Of The Earthquake. There Has Already Been Two Explosions At Other Plants. I Have No Idea How We Would Go About Changing The Course, That Is Why I Asked. And The Only Reason I Posted Was To Maybe Prevent Something Bad. As Of Now, I Don't Think We Need To Worry To Much, However It Is Better To Be Over Prepared Than Under Prepared.
Back to top Go down
The Ambassador

The Ambassador

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 am

Here we go guys... I just found this... it's more for preparedness than anything but here you go please feel free to pass it on.

Before you read below you may need this as well...
Science question: What is the formula for potassium iodide? = Answer = Potassium (K) and iodine (I) combine in a one-to-one ratio to form potassium iodide,

How to Make Potassium Iodide

Mar Vin has been a freelance writer for over two and half years. Her work can be found on many websites such as hardwarestore.com, leisurepro.com, mhrusa.com, and more. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in nutritional sciences and dietetics from the University of Nebraska.
By Mar Vin, eHow Contributor

Potassium iodide (KI) is a very difficult element to make since iodine is rarely found in nature. It is mostly used to treat thyroid conditions, prevent thyroid damage and protect the thyroid gland from a radiation injury. It is normally supplied in pill form, but can also be purchased at a chemical supply house. Samples of pure KI can be found at auction websites as well.

Difficulty:
Challenging

Instructions
things you'll need:

* 2 fl. oz. non-metallic bottle Screwcap top Granulated or crystalline KI Medicine dropper

Fill a 2 fl. oz. bottle about 60 percent full of granulated or crystalline potassium iodide to make a saturated solution of potassium iodide.

Fill the bottle up to 90 percent full with room temperature water.

Close the bottle and shake it for about two minutes. If the solution is saturated, there should be solid KI undissolved at the bottom of the bottle. One drop from a medicine dropper generally yields about 28 to 35 mg of potassium iodide. An adult would want about four drops to create the best dosage. Ideally, the proper daily intake for an adult is 112 to 140 mg. A child would take half that amount, about 56 to 70 mg per day.

Read more: How to Make Potassium Iodide | eHow.com [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
The Ambassador

The Ambassador

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:35 am

this may also be useful...
* Examine the reaction that will be demonstrated by this experiment. This is given by the following equation: KOH + electricity -> K+ + OH- where potassium hydroxide (KOH) is split into its components of potassium metal (K+) and the hydroxide ion (OH-)

Attach a wire to each electrode of the battery. The wire on the positive terminal will be the anode and the wire on the negative terminal will be the cathode. The potassium metal will collect on the anode.
* Place the wood ash into a metal dish and heat the ash with the Bunsen burner, so that the ash turns completely white and melts. This material is called potash and should be extremely high in postassium hydroxide.

Remove the heat and immediately place the battery leads on opposite ends of the molten ash. Keep them there until the molten ash becomes a molten metal. Remove the leads once the reaction is complete.
* Pour the metal from Step 4 into the second pan and allow the metal to cool. This metal should be highly concentrated potassium.

Read more: How to Make a Pure Sample of Potassium | eHow.com [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
The Ambassador

The Ambassador

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 am

Also here is a good link for dealing with Radiation
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Ok. We need to stop right now. Unless you have a degree in chemistry or are a pharmacist (doctor), you're about to get someone killed.

Potassium is a Group IA element. It's unstable and explosive.

Also, iodine doesn't come in pure forms over the counter. It's almost always mixed with something else that you would have to separate out if you wanted to get it by itself.

Trying to create potassium iodine would likely end up with someone blowing themselves up or poisoning themselves.

On a side note, Hydroxide (OH-), can give horrific burns and can cause severe/permanent lung damaged if inhaled.

If someone wants KI-tabs, they can go buy them.

Finally, the radiation itself:

In order for radiation to reach North America, there would need to be a blast big enough to propel radioactive materials to 30,000 feet. There would need to be a high enough concentration of radioactive particles that survive dispersion over the course of 5000 miles.

It's not likely.
Back to top Go down
Superhuman

Superhuman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Great post!
Back to top Go down
Animal

Animal

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:28 am

I Would Like To Remind That I Made This Post To Bring Awareness To The Possibility Of The Situation, Likely Or Not. It Is A Way To Think And Keep Us On Our Toes Just In Case Something Like This Actually Did Happen. All Of Your Posts Have Been Helpful In One Way Or Another, And I Thank You All For Participating.
Back to top Go down
Superhuman

Superhuman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 am

Thanks! although I'm still searching for things that could help...
Back to top Go down
Animal

Animal

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:29 am

That Is Good Razz It Gets You Thinking
Back to top Go down
The Ambassador

The Ambassador

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Red Dragon wrote:
Ok. We need to stop right now. Unless you have a degree in chemistry or are a pharmacist (doctor), you're about to get someone killed.

Potassium is a Group IA element. It's unstable and explosive.

Also, iodine doesn't come in pure forms over the counter. It's almost always mixed with something else that you would have to separate out if you wanted to get it by itself.

Trying to create potassium iodine would likely end up with someone blowing themselves up or poisoning themselves.

On a side note, Hydroxide (OH-), can give horrific burns and can cause severe/permanent lung damaged if inhaled.

If someone wants KI-tabs, they can go buy them.

Finally, the radiation itself:

In order for radiation to reach North America, there would need to be a blast big enough to propel radioactive materials to 30,000 feet. There would need to be a high enough concentration of radioactive particles that survive dispersion over the course of 5000 miles.

It's not likely.

Sorry about that, RD is right I meant to post a dosclaimer like I did in other groups noting that you should try to have a professional chemist do this first and you should look up the properties of each of these items before handling/ mixing anything. Whenever possible only a professional or accomplished chemist should be doing this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Japan Radiation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japan Radiation   Japan Radiation Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Japan Radiation
Page 1 of 1