Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

20 Pushup variations

Go down 
+2
Equal
E0N (Inactive)
6 posters
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

20 Pushup variations Empty
PostSubject: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:51 pm

I decided to reconstruct a workout I used to lead four times a week when I was a platoon sergeant, just basically for personal use, but why not post it here and all that.
This is just the push-up part (or press-ups for you Brits). The way it went was Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, hardest on Monday and easiest on Thursday because the running part went the opposite way (shortest on Monday, longest on Thursday).

It also goes in a six week cycle – the first week you do all the push-up exercises three times in supersets of 6/6. The next week 7/7, then 8/8, etc up to 12/12. Limit breaks to 10 or so second between each superset. After that we’d do sports or something fun and start the whole cycle over again because usually there were new people in. Even on the first week most people trying to finish the whole thing won’t be able to. Whenever you can’t keep going normally, modify the exercise to make it easier (without stopping) and keep going. Usually that means going to your knees and continuing. Only rest during the breaks.

Anyway, I don’t know that the way I do this kind of stuff is especially scientific, but there are at least a few good points: the variety combats boredom, the different positions work different muscle groups, you can usually complete it in an hour or less, you don’t need equipment, and you can say you know how to do different kinds of push-ups.

So pretty much here’s a list of a bunch of 20 push-up variations: (I used to have a lot more, but I can’t remember all of them)

Regular pushups

Close-hand pushups (AKA Diamonds) – hands closer together or with first fingers and thumbs touching to form a diamond/triangle shape

Superman pushups – like a normal pushup except your hands are as far above your head as you can manage while doing them

Wide-arm pushups – pushup with arms spread as far apart as possible

Maltese pushups – pushup with arms aimed toward your feet, hands approximately at waist level; nearly impossible to do these. Kind of like this -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but we always did them with the hands way lower/more in line with the waist

Staggered pushups (left, right) – one hand is like a superman push, one like a normal pushup; reverse hands for the second set

Fingertip pushups – pushups on your fingertips, strengthens forearms or at least hurts them

Skull-crushers– Starting position is like a pushup, but with your butt in the air and feet closer to your shoulders than normal; lower your face toward the ground and return to starting position

Dive-bombers – start as for a pushup, but with your butt in the air, swoop down into the down position rather than lowering yourself down; reverse to complete the action

Hindu Pushups – same as a dive-bomber, except once you’re down you simply push yourself back up like for a normal pushup -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Plyometric pushups – propel your entire body up off the ground each time you come up while doing a regular pushup. If this is too easy, clap when you bounce up. If it’s still too easy clap your hands behind your back each time you come up. I never have found it too easy, but some people do.

Cobras – more or less doing pushups on your knees. Technically it’s more like having your legs completely on the ground the whole time, but either way will work.

Knuckle pushups – pushups on your knuckles. Honestly the only reason I ever included this one was because it’s different.

Alternating T Pushups (T Stabilization Pushups) – each time you come up raise one arm up in the air and turn your body sideways -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Windmill pushups (you’ll need some room) – same as the T-pushups above except as you come up you carry through with the momentum to basically end up in a crabwalk position and keep going one more half turn to get back to the starting position.

Leaning pushups – you basically do a pushup but with only the right or left half of your body so that one arm is extended, the other is bent.

Three-point pushups (with transition) – as you lower yourself down you raise up one of your legs; alternate legs; the transition and the stress of maintaining balance is what makes this worthwhile

Spiderman pushups – here, just read this -- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yoga pushups (I dunno if this is real Yoga) – get in the push up starting position, raise your butt in the air, transition to sagging in the middle until your pelvis almost touches the ground; repeat.

Handstand pushups – you need a wall to rest your feet against unless you’re just really amazing.

If you want to add any variations, please do and if you know of similar things for abs, please post those, too. I tend to just do crunches and be mentally lazy about those.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Knuckle pushups condition the knuckles and strenghten the wrists. With some training you can start "jumping" on them. That is one of the secret of the iron paw.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Chest fly push-ups-On a tile or wood floor, get into the regular position but with each hand on a small towel. Slide your hands straight out to the sides while bending your elbows to lower, then reverse to rise.

For emphasis on biceps and triceps, put your hands on chairs on either side of you (with your feet on the ground) and go as low as you can. Form is like a wide-stance push-up.

Push-ups against a wall are easy, but a good warm-up, or do them for a week before starting a workout if you are in really bad shape.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 pm

I LOVE pushups!
Pushups LOVE RLSH!

I dont' like the diamonds or the maltese
only because I cherish your shoulders and elbows.

More pushups for EVERY ONE!!!

I can be VERY generous with pushups!!
I don't run out!
I have enough pushups for every one!!
Back to top Go down
Ohm

Ohm

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 pm

This is... so perfect. Thank you so much! I'll see if I can drag out some of my friends from their respective caves to do the running bit with.

rah rah pushing yourself!
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:11 am

Great post!

Maltese pushups work entirely different muscles in your arms, I recommend them.

Knuckle pushups are great for conditioning your knuckles.

Handstand pushups will kick your ass. The doc crew filmed me doing some in the little "look at Zimmer do hard shit" segment.

Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 am

Blue Alpha wrote:
Push-ups against a wall are easy, but a good warm-up, or do them for a week before starting a workout if you are in really bad shape.

The "Yoga pushups" are like that, too... a good conditioning exercise to build up to pushups, as are pushups on your knees with an exaggerated focus on correct form.

The towel thing reminds me of physical therapy... Razz

It's arbitrary, but I personally like to plan for no equipment at all whenever possible. It makes me more likely to do the stuff.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:24 am

Oh... and Ohm, since you mentioned running, the shortest run on Mondays was actually sprints and for the medium one we always found a steep hill (be very careful on the way down). Stole those ideas from a guy I know who actually is a good runner, though. I think scientifically running downhill is always bad, but it's kinda hard to plan to run uphill and never run downhill...

I had leeway to go over an hour on these sessions, but whenever I used it I was that $#@& who kept people late after work.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:28 pm

I have to ask,
what muscles are worked during Maltese pushups?

As to running down hill - yes, bad.
Suggestion: zigzag down hill
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:11 pm

I believe it's a harder workout on the triceps with the Maltese pushups.
Back to top Go down
Ohm

Ohm

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:37 am

E0N wrote:
Oh... and Ohm, since you mentioned running, the shortest run on Mondays was actually sprints and for the medium one we always found a steep hill (be very careful on the way down). Stole those ideas from a guy I know who actually is a good runner, though. I think scientifically running downhill is always bad, but it's kinda hard to plan to run uphill and never run downhill...

I had leeway to go over an hour on these sessions, but whenever I used it I was that $#@& who kept people late after work.

There's a perfect place nearby. It's a small "mountain" and as a compromise my friends and I basically climb over it, haha. One side is extremely steep rockface with excellent footholds and the opposite side is a gentler slope littered with gullies and the like. Up and over, broski

I love being a grubby lil teenager. No one questions you when you roll in mud and sprint all the way down an incline, flailing.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:45 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
I have to ask,
what muscles are worked during Maltese pushups?

As to running down hill - yes, bad.
Suggestion: zigzag down hill

According to a random guy online "Builds Wrist Strength , Works Deltoids , Triceps , Chest , Trapezius and Lats Much Harder"

Here are videos of 54 pushup variations and people discussing them:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 20 Pushup variations   20 Pushup variations Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

20 Pushup variations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: