Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Combat Cape

Go down 
+8
Urban Avenger
Dagger
Gadgetastic!
E0N (Inactive)
DarkShadow
SkyMan
Paladin
TheShadow2011
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheShadow2011

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 pm

yea hi I am new to this website and I have been training for the last 3 years with my own style of modified combat stealth and movement and I wanted to ask do any of you use capes on your patrol because I do I design a what you may call a combat cape I can use it in combat to distract and blind them I designed built and tested it for a week and I just wanted some opions on weather do you use anything similar or just use a cape period
Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:28 pm

... I am not a big believer in capes to say the least. The only time I have seen a cape or cloak be of any use in a fight is when used around the arm to block/deflect blades.

The movements requiret to *fight* someone using a cape (I assume you're thinking weighted/weaponized hem of some sort) would strike me as inefficient at the very least... not to mention all that extra weight/drag/etc. created in a pursuit by having a giant weighted sail dangling off your neck. Also, if it secured tightly enough to be useable for combat, however unlikely that may be, then it is also secured tightly enough for me to grab a hold of and choke you with or reef your around by...

I cannot see this ending well. My $0.02.
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:07 pm

For patrol purposes? I think it would get in the way... atleast mine did... for parades and ceremonies, always! Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Agreed. f your gonna go with a cape, go all out. Just make sure that you do your homework if your gonna make a functional one. Make sure its the right size, and properly weighted down and that you know some sort of defensive/offensive technique in deploying one properly.

I'm going with a cape/hooded cloak design but for non-combat/show use only.

DarkShadow out
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Do want you want. If you believe in the concept, strap the cape on and spar with some friends and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:25 pm

More disturbing to me is your own style. I'd hazard a guess that you did not spend decades mastering the available martial arts before throwing out the book.

How do you train?
Back to top Go down
TheShadow2011

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:50 pm

I did judo for you know throws and such if they grab me and some muay tai and tae Kwon doe and I went to a boxing gym for some time I trained for 3 to 4 years in multiple fields but not all I'm not the god damn batman and I tested and practiced with some friends who were serious about the idea and it went pretty well I just made a couple if mistakes and I need to just get my speed up some more and more practice
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Oh dude, just cut it out. You did not.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:10 pm

If a cape is worn, it should at least be Nomex.
Back to top Go down
Dagger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:03 pm

These are the capes a lot of Quidditch players wear:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My Quidditch team went through a whole ordeal with traditional capes and their strangling effects while running. Finally we made ones like these. They snap onto the back of the shirt and are reversible. Since they simply snap off your shirt instead of strangling you if grabbed, they don't pose a danger like that, they are lightweight, don't hinder you, and you get to wear a cape on patrol.
Back to top Go down
TheShadow2011

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:08 pm

thanks for the advice everyone good or bad I never thought about a nomex fibered cape and also I was going to strap it on to the bottom on my shoulders so if I do get grabbed I won't choke I can like spin and tear away also I thought about making it a tattered cape
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:22 am

Huh... I have a cape.. rarely wear it... mr. Xtreme wears a cape. Its attached with magnets. Comes off in a heartbeat. But hey, if you can make it work. I try not to knock something unless I've seen it or know otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Velcro. It comes in a wide variety of strengths, is cheap, and readily available.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:44 pm

In situations you must fight for your own or others life, your body go into a state where large muscle groups get stronger and the smaller you usally us for fine motorics (and way to many forms of marital arts) get weakened. You stop thinking and start reacting. The reactions will be whatever you decided to train in the past. It won't be a time for research on what works and what doesn't.

Just make sure you have something that don't get you killed when you get into a situation like that.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:06 am

TheShadow2011 wrote:
Hi, I am new to this website and I have been training for the last 3 years with my own style of modified stealth combat and movement and I wanted to ask: Do any of you use capes on your patrol? I ask because I do-I designed what you may call a combat cape. I can use it in combat to distract and blind opponents; I designed, built and tested it for a week and I just wanted some opinions on wether you use anything similar (or just use a cape period)?

I'm not trying to be mean, but I have seen SOOOOOO many people in m life develop their own fighting styles, and uit always sucks. Practicing with friends proves nothing, they don't wanna hurt you. As for the cape: Buy cheap material, like cotton (just buy sheets in the color you want from fabric stores).In the bottom corners, sew in somehing small, like a half-ounce fishing weight, a small bolt/washer, or a pinch of sand. Then attach it to your shoulders with velcro or magnets. When someone attackes, whip a croner at their face and when they flinch, take it off so you don't get killed by it. Use cheap materials so if you have to make an run for it after this point you don't have to worry about losing yor $350 Nomex/Kevlar/leather monstrosity, just your $10 red bedsheet.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:37 am

I wonder who the first martial artists learned their style from. Modern martial arts of all types have been honed over time, with each successive generation of practitioners adding to the knowledge of their community. It is not therefore entirely accurate to say that a non-martial artist couldn't develop a new system, but their system would be raw, uneducated, and would likely take generations of honing and fine tuning to be effective.

Now if you have martial arts experience, and lots of it, developing a system with a foundation in actual knowledge is a much different thing. Jeet Kune Do is undoubtedly one of the best known examples of this.

Get trained first. Be the student before you can be the teacher.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:38 am

Jeet kun do is a philosophy, not a style.

But I knew what you meant Smile
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Jest Kune Do started as a philosophy much like any martial art does. He developed Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do as a non-classical Kung Fu system combining wing chun, American boxing, French fencing, And grappling. So while it is indeed a philosophy is is also a style. Many styles borrow from other styles.
Back to top Go down

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:21 pm

I have met a lot of people who "developed their own style." I have never met one who wasn't entirely bullshit.
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:28 pm

you find them off the mainstream martial arts circuts. their usally on their own and dont freequent forums like this or others either. there are a few. not a lot and not easy to find but they are out there.
and yes, most of the people who 'develop their own style' really are not qualified to do so. the people I am talking about have years of experience in martial arts both studying and often teaching.
some do make it into the public notice. peole like Bruce Lee, Ed Parker and others.

and as to the 'combat cape'- unless your a matador stay away from capes. they work only in the movies.

Back to top Go down
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:39 pm

What Than said.

You have a weighted cape? Then it has to be very firmly attached to you, or it will fall off. It will deform any costume made of light fabric. Also, if it is firmly attached, someone can grab it, pull you around by it, pull it over your face, or wrap it around your neck. I would have LOVED to have every bad guy I've ever brawled with professionally or as a civilian wear a cape. Love.

Also, when you run, it will create drag and slow you down lots.

I say this because I often wear cloaks (it's a medieval re-enactment thing with me), and not once have I been happy I was wearing a cloak when I've had to do anything productive or get somewhere in a hurry.

Seriously, dude, leave the cape for the dress uniform.
Back to top Go down

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:46 am

thanatos wrote:

you find them off the mainstream martial arts circuts. their usally on their own and dont freequent forums like this or others either. there are a few. not a lot and not easy to find but they are out there.
and yes, most of the people who 'develop their own style' really are not qualified to do so. the people I am talking about have years of experience in martial arts both studying and often teaching.
some do make it into the public notice. peole like Bruce Lee, Ed Parker and others.

and as to the 'combat cape'- unless your a matador stay away from capes. they work only in the movies.

I agree entirely, Thanatos. Not all ancient martial arts are best. In fact, many of the "new" systems in the past century have really bumped up the effectiveness, with increased knowledge of anatomy and related fields, and adapting to a world with different weapons and scenarios.

But those systems are crafted from masters of others, usually several others.

Never by teenagers who watched too much Dragonball Z as a kid.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:15 am

I just get tired of getting BSed, personally. I personally can't believe that you tried "combat cape" for a week with some friends and after doing that it continued to seem like a great idea.
Back to top Go down

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
TheShadow2011

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:51 pm

well we all have different out looks on capes and some of the most dumbest ideas ended out good one way or another no I'll say this much even there isn't a style to accomponied to capes and cloaks we have a different outlook on them because we grew up with different superheroes no I came up with spider-man and batman and I came to like capes and hoods and cloaks and coals but I tool this idea into literal perspective and I know the down side to this I'll etiher get my ass kick or die right? I am levelheaded and willing to create and invent new things this isn't my first crazy idea you should have seen the shadowrang ( batarang)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Combat Cape Empty
PostSubject: Re: Combat Cape   Combat Cape Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Combat Cape
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next