Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Time to think about it....

Go down 
+16
RedLight
Flora V. Arbor
Polarman
DRock
Midnite Detective
Gadgetastic!
Urban Avenger
Geist
Hazmat
Equal
Renegade X
Vulpo
Zimmer
herointraining
E0N (Inactive)
Blue Alpha
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Time to think about it.... Empty
PostSubject: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Ya know,let me just say I hate my body.
I'm outta shape. My knees are (genetically) terrible. I have a slight case of lazy eye. I overcame speech impediments as a kid, but still talk funny due in part to an extra-wide tongue and a bad overbite. I'm getting grey hair. And I went to urgent care a few days ago because I had...pain and swelling in my *ahem* personal area. Turns out I have a massive hernia. I won't be able to patrol (or work) until I get surgery and recover.
Now I sit here in a chair, typing away, with ice packs strategically placed around my body, and I realize- I'm 25. This is my prime. And I've wasted it. Years of bad diet, no excercise. I screwed up in school and let myself go. Would I have a hernia if I was below 225, worked out reguarly and watched my diet? Maybe, but maybe it'd hurt less. I percieved Blue Alpha as being a superhero, looking kickass in a cool costume, patroling and doing good. But Blue Alpha is just me in color-coordinated street clothes, waddling around at an unimpressive pace with his gut hanging out. So when Sean has to sit on his ass recovering, Blue Alpha can either evolve....Or die. If I can't improve myself, I don't deserve to be a RLSH, or an X-Alt. So its time for a plan.
I'm told during recovery I can't excercise. Or walk far. Or have sex. So for 6+ weeks I'll need to work on diet and mind. Nothing drastic, just cut the sugars and fats. More raw veggies and fruits, less fatty meats. Little to no candy. Bread and pasta?Its whole grain or nuthin.' And as for my mind: I flunked outta jr college, and now I've made no effort to improve my mind. How can I be a decent hero if everytime someone posts something about tech or law and my eyes glaze over? That means not only reading more books that aren't comics, but also reading posts here that are based on knowledge and support.
When I can train my body, I need to be smart. Obviously I can't run 12 miles a day, but at various times in my life I tried different ways to get in shape with good results, but never stuck with it.
First step: Start using an excercise bike again. At my peak I was putting in 12 miles a day, 4 days a week. My goal? 20 miles a day, three days a week. Its god for my knees and my cardio was awesome.
Step two: Pilates. I took a class years ago to meet girls (tip: it worked), but this routine is great.It may be popular with women, but its creator was a cigar smoking boxer. It'll do my bad legs good, and return my flexibility. I want to touch my toes. I want to be able to wash my back.
Third step: Bodyweight excercises. I can't do 5 push-ups, one chin-up, or a full sit-up. My goal: Not sure, but I won't be satisfied until I can do 50 of all 3.
Well, I've talked a big game, but can I do it? Only time will tell.But I think I can. In six weeks, expect a new, leaner meaner Blue Alpha...or expect him to fade away, and to see a normal man patroling with the XJL. Wish me luck.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:58 pm

When you can exercise it doesn't have to be grand, especially to start. Consistently putting an increased physical demand on your body (over what you do now), no matter how small, has a training effect.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
herointraining

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:03 pm

wow, and i thought my back problem was big...hope you can recover from that and we see you in the street doing the good work Smile
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:26 pm

More people should be as candid as you are about where they are. Seriously, awesome.

For me, t's always been about channeling any bottled up anger and rage. Be incredibly angry at any version of yourself that's less than perfect. Imagine the exact sensation of being less than you want to be. It's always motivated me to go the extra mile in diet, exercise, training, education, patrols, etc. And hey, I was doing handstand pushups before I was hit by a car. And I still challenge myself to do better even though I can't do half of what I was once capable of.

Also, check out TED talks online. Lots of intellectual stimulation that's packaged in small and entertaining chunks. It can be a good spark to motivate very real development.

The only way to fail is to quit.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:45 am

@Eon: Yeah, I'm gonna start off slow...I have to, considering where the post-op stitches will be. Ow....

@herointraining: YOU still need to get an x-ray and MRI. I hope your back pain is nothing serious. The lower back is easy to damage, but its easier to maintain an active lifestyle after having surgery there then when you have it higher (especially the neck).

@Zimmer: Thanks man lol. I've been beating myself up for years, but its way past time to do something about it. And forgive my ignorance, but what are TED talks, and where can I find them?
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:06 am

Blue Alpha wrote:
@Zimmer: Thanks man lol. I've been beating myself up for years, but its way past time to do something about it. And forgive my ignorance, but what are TED talks, and where can I find them?
TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design. Since then its scope has become ever broader. Along with two annual conferences -- the TED Conference in Long Beach and Palm Springs each spring, and the TEDGlobal conference in Edinburgh UK each summer -- TED includes the award-winning TEDTalks video site, the Open Translation Project and TED Conversations, the inspiring TED Fellows and TEDx programs, and the annual TED Prize.

Here's the link to their youtube channel. It's got loads of speeches, most of them are good, some of them aren't.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've spent days watching these talks, they are very enlightening and often cover prudent issues.
Talks also air on Link TV if you have that channel.
Back to top Go down
Renegade X

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 am

Do what you have to friend, take care of yourself and be safe.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:04 am

Love your body and keep it happy.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:14 am

I admire your straight talk and the fact that you are willing to take responsibility for the things you should do. It speaks well of you.

I had a buddy that ate garbage his whole life. His parents were always off partying so he grew up eating TV dinners, fast food, Captain Crunch and hot pockets. He was never pushed to achieve anything or given any encouragement to explore so he watched videos and played D&D all the time. By the time we were both 19 he was pretty overweight and socially awkward. Fast forward to when I got out of the army five years later. He was even more overweight and worked as a pizza delivery guy. He had never had a girlfriend and still lived with his mom. He ate pizza constantly and played games like Tunnels and Trolls or Axis and Allies as his only real social outlet. He had bad skin and still had no idea what he wanted to do with his life. Actually that isn't true. He didn’t want to do anything with his life and that was ok with him because it was easy. I was all about being healthy and doing stuff but never could get him to even try anything at all. But after I had been back about a year he told me he wanted to change his life but didn’t know how. You see he was way too out of shape to “get out and exercise” and frankly he was embarrassed by his body. So we started with just his diet. It wasn’t a –NO MORE PIZZA- sort of thing. It was a –Pizza once a week- sort of thing. The biggest change was him giving up soda pop. Man he started feeling better and more optimistic and healthy right away just because he was eating better. We both knew if he gave up everything he liked he would just cave in. So we set it up to where he did have nachos on movie night. He just had to earn them by walking to the park and back on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.. No walks to the park, no nachos on movie night. Also he ate three meals a day five days a week. But ONLY those three meals. Not one potato chip in between. He could have whatever he wanted but it had to be at meal time. Weekends he allowed himself two snacks. Now that may sound like it would never work but he dropped noticeable weight pretty fast like that. This in turn motivated him to try harder. Which in turn got him better results. Once people started telling him he was looking thinner he gained the confidence to join a gym. He took a spin class and man he dropped the pounds like crazy. And...he went on his first date with a girl that was also in his spin class. It changed his whole demeanor. He became a different man.

Did he become some olympic athlete and marry a super model? Of course not. But he got his weight down to “a little bit husky” and was in far better shape than he (or anyone else really) would have ever dreamed. He married a nice woman that loved him and went to trade school to get a better job. And it all started with his decision that he wanted a better life. I honestly believe that just eating better improved his general state of well being to the point that even his mind was in a stronger place allowing him to keep improving.

So what you face is surmountable and your candid self assessment is really a bold first step. But remember to take an accounting of your strengths as well. Its easy for us to see our faults and flaws but not always so easy to count our blessings and advantages.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Search 'TED' on iTunes if you have it, YouTube if you don't. Also, all videos are up on their website and organized by subject matter, speaker, date and length.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Geist

Geist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Small steps, My Friend. But heal first.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:22 am

Dude I'm older than you? N***** you look thirty... at least.

Anyway, I hope you get better soon dude.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:39 am

@Dogman: Woah boy! Shocked We aren't talking about that! I do that plenty when the wife's not in the mood Laughing

@Zimmer: Thanks, I googled it but came up with different results.

@UA: Yeah, we had this exact conversation when we first met in San Diego. You're getting forgetful in your old age.

Call me a wuss guys, but I was flipping through a book at B&N today called "The Detox Diet"......looked interesting, things about raw fruits/veggies and what minerals and vitamins are needed to cleanse the body....I put it back when I saw chapter 3: "Choosing an Enema." True story.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:48 am

Yes I am. I am horrible with that kind of stuff.

Hey I was at b&n today too! What a small world... it sort of inspired me today.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Let me start by thanking everyone for their support....

As I am nearly done recovering, I plan on slowly getting back into work and patroling mid-November. Baby steps, as I still run a small risk of reinjuring myself. Handouts and 24 hour workweeks.

I spent so much time reading, and feel my mind has grown. Unfortunately, despite a lowered calorie intake so has my waist. You never realize how much fat you burn by working and running errands until you spend a month on your ass. However, I'm not worried. If I stick to my improved diet when I start moving again I should be fine.

The wife wants to lose weight too, so the first week or two will be power walks around the neighborhood. Afterwards a simple excercise program-Like push-ups and crunches to failure a few days a week. By January I hope to be to my playing card workout (see the training section) 4 days a week.

Thanks again everyone.I'm almost back in the game.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Zimmer is very correct in complimenting you on your self-awareness. The hardest part (sorry for the cliche) is admitting you have a problem.
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:25 am

You can do any damn thing you set your mind too. Especially at your age.
I lost eleven inches off my waist in the last eight months and have many more to go and I'm 39.

Seriously man, a little diet, some specific exercises and supplements for specific injuries/neglect problems and I think you can do it just fine.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm similar to you, physical wise. Desk bound office drone, by the end of the day I just don't want to work out. And early in the morning? Gawds no... so I fall off the wagon ALOT.

All I can say to that is find a gym partner. A partner is what you need to keep you going.

And as for your mind, I have a few ideas. For one, keep reading. Anything (minus tabloids). I'm told by my friends that I'm just full of trivia. That's because I do a lot of reading.

But memory retention isn't actual sentience. I don't do this a lot, but I have friends who do and swear by this. Do lots of crossword puzzles, brain teasers and sudoku. That'll train your brain to think better, faster and smarter. Discussion and debate are also great, not only to learn how to defend your point logically and precisely, but it gives you an excuse to fill in the gaps of your knowledge or beliefs.

Hope I help in some small way.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Who needs a gym partner when you can play tag with your buddies at the playground?

Excersise and fresh air at the same time Cant beat that one up poozers
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Blue Alpha wrote:
Ya know,let me just say I hate my body.
I'm outta shape. My knees are (genetically) terrible. I have a slight case of lazy eye. I overcame speech impediments as a kid, but still talk funny due in part to an extra-wide tongue and a bad overbite. I'm getting grey hair. And I went to urgent care a few days ago because I had...pain and swelling in my *ahem* personal area. Turns out I have a massive hernia. I won't be able to patrol (or work) until I get surgery and recover.
Now I sit here in a chair, typing away, with ice packs strategically placed around my body, and I realize- I'm 25. This is my prime. And I've wasted it. Years of bad diet, no excercise. I screwed up in school and let myself go. Would I have a hernia if I was below 225, worked out reguarly and watched my diet? Maybe, but maybe it'd hurt less. I percieved Blue Alpha as being a superhero, looking kickass in a cool costume, patroling and doing good. But Blue Alpha is just me in color-coordinated street clothes, waddling around at an unimpressive pace with his gut hanging out. So when Sean has to sit on his ass recovering, Blue Alpha can either evolve....Or die. If I can't improve myself, I don't deserve to be a RLSH, or an X-Alt. So its time for a plan.
I'm told during recovery I can't excercise. Or walk far. Or have sex. So for 6+ weeks I'll need to work on diet and mind. Nothing drastic, just cut the sugars and fats. More raw veggies and fruits, less fatty meats. Little to no candy. Bread and pasta?Its whole grain or nuthin.' RAW FRUITS AND VEGGIES ARE SUGAR. SO ARE WHOLE GRAINS
SO IS CANDY SO IS BEER.
THE BRAIN BURNS ONLY CARBS .
SO, LET'S LET THE ATKINS JUNK-IDEAS GO AWAY.
PLEASE, TYPE WHAT YOU NORMALLY EAT AND
WE'LL TWEAK IT JUST A LITTLE BIT.
THE KEY IS EXERCISE.
BIKE IS GOOD TO START BECAUSE IT WON'T STRESS YOUR MIDDLE.
I WON'T BORE YOU WITH ALL OF MY INURIES OR FORMER FATNESS.
LET'S FOCUS ON YOU.

And as for my mind: I flunked outta jr college, and now I've made no effort to improve my mind. How can I be a decent hero if everytime someone posts something about tech or law and my eyes glaze over? That means not only reading more books that aren't comics, but also reading posts here that are based on knowledge and support.
When I can train my body, I need to be smart. Obviously I can't run 12 miles a day, but at various times in my life I tried different ways to get in shape with good results, but never stuck with it.

First step: Start using an excercise bike again. At my peak I was putting in 12 miles a day, 4 days a week. My goal? 20 miles a day, three days a week. Its god for my knees and my cardio was awesome.
START WITH TEN MINUTES EVERY OTHER DAY

Step two: Pilates. I took a class years ago to meet girls (tip: it worked), but this routine is great.It may be popular with women, but its creator was a cigar smoking boxer. It'll do my bad legs good, and return my flexibility. I want to touch my toes. I want to be able to wash my back.

NO PILATES, EVER. MOST SPINAL DISCS HERNIATE BACKWARDS FROM BENDING FORWARD

Third step: Bodyweight excercises. I can't do 5 push-ups, one chin-up, or a full sit-up. My goal: Not sure, but I won't be satisfied until I can do 50 of all 3.

PUSH UPS ON KITCHEN COUNTER FOR THREE MONTHS, 3 SETS OF 8 EVERY OTHER DAY.

Well, I've talked a big game, but can I do it? Only time will tell.But I think I can. In six weeks, expect a new, leaner meaner Blue Alpha...or expect him to fade away, and to see a normal man patroling with the XJL. Wish me luck.

I type in caps ( above ) not to shout but, because it is the only tech thing that I can do.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:34 pm

ps. I just drove by a men with no legs.

Please, wiggle your toes and be happy
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:01 pm

Flora, I was refering to refined sugar. Sugars in fruit and honey are cool, I just eat too much ice cream and candy.
And you're entitled to your opnions, but I still plan on starting pilates again.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Blue Alpha wrote:
Flora, I was refering to refined sugar. Sugars in fruit and honey are cool, I just eat too much ice cream and candy.
And you're entitled to your opnions, but I still plan on starting pilates again.

Do you like beef jerky?
Eating more protien will help to kill the craving for candy.
Ice Cream does not love you back.

Mine are not opinions.
I am professional and teacher of other professionals.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:25 pm

It is not an opinion that most spinal discs herniate backwards
from repeated bending forwards
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:16 am

Once upon a time, in a time with NO exercise, a man moved his body around and felt better
because any exercise is better than no exercise.
Then, no one cared for a good long time because
sweating was hated unless you were in a steam room.

Then, after the 1980's brought us exercise,
a new group of children were born who,
like many children, hated their parents.

A group of those young people were beautiful dancers
who wanted to do something more than just dance.

They wanted NOTHING to do with ANYTHING that their parents
did and they didn't care about any facts.
Dancers don't like facts.
They like barfing.

So, they did Pilates.
Because they were young and beautiful and THIN,
fat, rich women thought that Pilates could make them
thin too.
Because the word "abs" was forbidden, Pilates was embraced
by these young people who wanted zero of their parents words.
The fat rich women were willing to do and pay
anything to be thin.
Pilates instructors made a LOT of money selling that fiction.
They $80 an hour has died out because of the lack of results.

It is very important to remember that these people KNOW
that tatoos make the face more beautiful,
the body thinner, the brain smarter and the talent appear out of no where
and that the word "abs" is never to be used.

What the body actually does must never be mentioned.
We live in the beautiful fiction of tatooville.

Pilates said that they make muscles "longer"
(meaning that fat, short people can become thin and long).

Fitness asked Pilates, "...longer than what?".

Pilates pretended like they never said that.

Pilates came out with an "advanced" workout.

It was, exactly, 1980's aerobics but done barefoot.

Fitness, said, "hey, we already did that and most people can't do barefoot."

Pilates pretended like they never said that too.

Pilates made an infomercial with many women in bleachers,
talking in detail about hos they had lost 50, 60 and 70 pounds
doing Pilates.

MANY women did not have the same results.

Pilates pretended like they never said that too.

PS. there are NO muscles in the "core".
There are organs and food and you didn't need me to tell you this.
It isn't a secret.

The reason that Pilates uses this word, "core" is because
they are marketing to a demographic that ONLY cares about style.

Fact are irrelevent to Pilates participants.
They are, primarily, focused on doing NOTHING the way that their parents did it.

The weaselly baloney of Pilates is one thing.
The pathetic exercises are another.

The total lack of physical knowledge was so bad that Pilates
teachers were forced to learn by fitness.
They pretended, as usual,
that they knew all along.
The certification text book ACTUALLY
stated that there are 600 muscles in the body and
proceeded to name NONE of them.

Compared to the Group Exercise manual
that starts at the molecular level and
works it's way out to the body, application
and modifications for all challenges,
the Pilates manual does not bear up
to the smugness of the class participants.

Often, Pilates participants decide that I am gay because I have any muscles at all
and am not desperate to look as young and thin as possible and have no tatoos,
and,
therefore, stupid, and hateable.

As long as their fiction is undisturbed,
they are happy.

That I am not gay, not stupid and, certainly not stupid enough to do Pilates,
is not a fact that is permitted to enter their brains.
They like hating.

Fitness allowed yoga in ONLY because of money.
Eventually, the fiction-based yoga people asked for Pilates too.
By offering Pilates, we access a group of people who hate exercise
and would not have come to the gyms at all otherwise.

The fact that Pilates has spread and is being done
is many places is a testament to the pitiful lack of knowledge
that is stubbornly embraced nationwide,
mostly because, "If my parents did I, I refuse to do it".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to think about it....   Time to think about it.... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Time to think about it....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next