Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The practical application of an oracle.

Go down 
+5
Krystalline
JohnDoe
Zimmer
Bridges
Hazmat
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

The practical application of an oracle. Empty
PostSubject: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Oracles, I feel better just knowing that there is one alert and looking out for me when I am on patrol.

Does anyone else use one and if so what sort of things do you use them for?

Are you in constant contact or do you check-in?

What ways would you suggest one utilize this resource?
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:57 pm

You should search for the oracle threads on here.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:21 am

Oracles are best contacted well before a mission. They can study maps in advance and pull up resources ahead of time.

When I was in the field and working solo, I would check in with an Oracle every 10 minutes with the cross street of my location. That way, they knew to look up new location-based resources for the new area, and if I disappeared they would know where to start looking.

Of course, the primary purpose of an Oracle is that during an emergency situation, they can access information easier and faster than you can.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:24 am

Out in the field, what location-based resources did you find most useful?

What was a sticking point you always wanted to see improve?
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:39 am

Ideally, an Oracle would do research in advance, and create a patrol route for you to more or less follow. This could be locations of recent crimes, the last place a missing person was seen, a bar that tends to get rowdy, etc.

However, sometimes you spring for an Oracle an hour or whatever before you go out and they don't have time to do much intel. They can still be helpful. For example, I went on a patrol in Brooklyn with the NYI and a guy had his cat run over, and our Oracle, Metadata, was able to get directions to the nearest animal hospital.

One thing I would like to see improved is that you sometimes need a second set of eyes on your situation and your goals. Sometimes an Oracle with a map and research can see trends that you don't see from being in the field, and vice versa.

The best synergy is if an Oracle can spot a trend in their research and have an RLSH check it out. The Oracle gets things handled with boots on the ground and the RLSH gets a missions without wandering around in the middle of the night aimlessly for hours on end.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:51 am

Hm. We called in with cross streets every 20 mins but we just sort of wandered by the school playground and a few other places we know to be dealer spots at night. No hard rout plotted or logged. This must change.

If you could pass on only one piece of advice for a new oracle (other than reading the oracle wiki because she and I are both doing that) what would it be?

When acting as an oracle, what is your biggest gripe with the cape?

As a cape, what is your biggest gripe with an oracle?
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:33 am

The advice I would pass onto a new Oracle is to think outside the box. You are your network, make it a wide net and be able to sort through it and pull what you need to from those sources. You'd be surprised what kind of messed up leads you get on Twitter, Rise-Up and paying attention to weird stuff on the crime blotter, but always be thinking of going beyond, beyond, beyond.

My biggest gripe as an Oracle would be people not letting me know ahead of time to do the research or, if I do it, they don't use it. A lot see intel as something extra, not something essential to mission success.

As a cape, my biggest gripe would be Oracles that provide a synopsis on something instead of how I fit into the larger problem. It's great to have background information, but in the end you need a lead to do something about it. Without that window, intel just becomes a civics lecture.

Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:43 am

Good stuff. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 am

I love the concept of Oracles but hate the fact that many seem to undervalue them. In the end, information is power and no one should squander power.
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:19 am

I'd like to add that freelancing as an oracle can be a pain in the butt. People working independently do not seem as knowledgeable about the existence of oracles, how to use them, or what to ask them so that their work can benefit their work. From what I've noticed, and Zimmer can probably attest to this, oracles are much more effective when given a group, or region of people to work with.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:53 am

I would like to make a request. Would someone with oracle experience please do a basic work-up for the Rev and I when he head out Monday the 12th? I don’t mean man the net while we are on patrol that night. Nightingale will do that. What I am trying to do is have a comprehensive example of what our own oracle can and should put together. This will serve as a sort of guideline for us to learn from and expand on. It would also serve the whole community in the same fashion. Most people I have spoken with about this have never used an oracle and this could really be an eye-opener for just how valuable (and cool) an oracle can be for cape work.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 am

This is an interesting thread to me and I hope it continues. I've never worked with an Oracle, though I've done some Oracle-like things before going out.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Hazmat, I'd love to give it a look. PM me the area you need information on and any specific details you'd like to focus on such as missing persons, homeless outreach, recent crime, etc.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:35 am

My initial report for Salem, Oregon is complete and available for reading online at TOP.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:54 am

Great reoprt zimmer , thank you . That shooting you mentioned didn't happen at the chase bank . The guy robbed the bank then was followed by some guy and shot at the guy in the parking lot behind my building . I heard the shot but thought some kid blew up a 2 liter bottle with an m 80 . When the dozen cops showed up I gave a report of the robber looked like but they already had one . Don't know if the ever caught I'm .
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:49 am

Great stuff Zimmer. Me and tThe Rev will go over this together.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:56 pm

You're welcome guys
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Every city on TOC should have something like that. I'll have to modify Seattle's page when I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Takes time to track a lot of that stuff down. A lot of those links are from usual TOP resources, some a location-specific from police. And it's still just a one page summary of the city, nothing exhaustive. I'm not against doing it in every city, that'd be awesome, but to do it right it may go slowly.
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:08 pm

It's a starting point. I'll probably just copypasteedit and then add some more on the Seattle page.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:41 am

I am interested in learning how to be an Oracle.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 am

It seems to be as simple and as potentially complex as finding and providing useful information to people who patrol. I don't think there's a specific authoritative way to do it, although of course there are documented research techniques and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Bridges

Bridges

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 am

^^What he said. Check out the oracle project, there's a lot of good resources there. You might also talk to Artemis. She's near you and largely does oracle work if I remember correctly. Going off of that, I've found that it helps to have people who desire your services as an oracle. It sounds obvious, but it's not. Many people on here have serious issues with delegating tasks. However, once the right trust is established and you have people to provide info for, you'll have more motivation and direction for your researching.
Back to top Go down
RedLight

RedLight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:38 am

I always thought I'd make a better Oracle than a field agent.
Wouldn't mind seriously looking into it.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:34 pm

I am not really a foot patrol type person.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The practical application of an oracle.   The practical application of an oracle. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The practical application of an oracle.
Page 1 of 1