Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Be More Than Batman

Go down 
+2
E0N (Inactive)
Boundless
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Boundless

Boundless

Category :
  • Public Service

Be More Than Batman Empty
PostSubject: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:57 am

As I have stated before, I am primarily a volunteer throughout my communities and have been since the fifth grade. It was a no-brainer to want to join the RLSH, being full of people who like to help just for the heck of it. As I watch patrol logs I am nothing short of impressed by what I see, but I wonder what else is there?

Patrol the street to prevent crime take balls of steel; but there is more that can be done. Zimmer recently created a thread to call out the board lukers and I guess I have to say I am one. I comment the same way I speak -when it does not seem like I am just seeking glory for my words- I am an advent believer that silence is golden, thus I have little to say. But he is right, for this community to work it should be built with two-way streets. Zimmer, here it goes.

Patrols are well and good but there are other ways to help and I don't mean handout to the homeless are a waste of time, it needs doing (God bless those who do). I love helping at soup kitchens but I also hate being generic. Fundraising seems like a way of seeking attention. I have gotten into refugee services recently through US Together and enjoyed it; It's got me wondering who else is outside the bell curve of this community, what else is there besides walking the streets for citizens to help? Are there any regular marathon runners for charity, after school tutors, fittness program volunteers? Do you organize garbage pick-ups or guerrilla gardening? Maybe evening an art or history appreciation event.

Let me know what your into, maybe you could give me something new to tryout.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:06 am

I don't do anything at the moment charity-wise except to set aside a small portion of my income for buying supplies for homeless people.

But this is definitely a conversation worth having. People are convinced this stuff has to be done in only one of two ways (or both of them)... but there's no logical reason for that. Teaching free self defense classes to a group of people likely to be victimized -- for example -- is helping.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:19 am

My advice to people interested in becoming an RLSH is always the same.

1) find a need

2) find a way to meet that need

3) be creative and have fun doing it.

If you are always doing that 3-step plan you will impact the world around you in a powerful way.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:54 pm

I've done several charity runs, but not in gimmick. The last one I couldn't attend due to scheduling conflicts, but I still donated the money.

I'm also a big proponent of graffiti removal. Most cities (including my own) have programs where they will donate the supplies to you if you agree to donate over a certain area. Keeps you on the street but serving a better purpose.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:49 pm

When I patrol its not to fight crime. I'm not waiting for the Alpha signal* to shine in the sky, letting me know the mayor needs my help stopping Proffesor Baron Von Destructo from destroying City Hall with a giant robotic weasel. I go out looking for people to help in anyway I can.

*Guess what it's shaped as?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:12 pm

A penis?
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:24 pm

"How do I call you?"

"Contact the mayor's office. He has a giant signal he shines in the sky. It's shaped like a giant cock."
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:34 pm

You mean a rooster?
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:34 am

When I was a kid we used to call mooning somone " hanging a ba " so I was thinking ba's bat symbol would be a couple of white hairy cheeks .

Anyway boundless my 4 yo son and I get gimmiced up and do trash pickups around our area . Pretty much the same idea of patroling in gimmic . You see a few guys walking around in regular clothes you don't notice . A few guys in masks , armor and capes you notice and ask why . Seeing a man and a kid in superhero gear you take notice . We want our city to be cleaner and we draw attention to our cause .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Be More Than Batman   Be More Than Batman Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Be More Than Batman
Page 1 of 1