Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Free MIT for all!

Go down 
+5
Gadgetastic!
Vulpo
Leviathan
Goldilocks
The Jinn
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:31 pm

If you can't jump through all the hoops it takes to get in or don't have the 8 craptons of money that it costs to go, you can attend online for free. There's no degree to be earned, but the information is a major value in and of itself.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Ooooo thats awesome! I want to check that out. Thanks for sharing! Have you taken anything yet?
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:26 am

Goldilocks wrote:
Ooooo thats awesome! I want to check that out. Thanks for sharing! Have you taken anything yet?

I got my Masters at MIT (In 1996). One of my favorite professors is in the videos for Introduction to Programming. (He gave us candy for correct answers.) I do enjoy watching the lectures for classes that weren't in my degree program. Especially History stuff.
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:53 am

Oh wow, I didn't know that. You must be a smart guy Smile What sort of history do you like?
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:45 am

Goldilocks wrote:
Oh wow, I didn't know that. You must be a smart guy Smile What sort of history do you like?

I'm fascinated with royal courts. I read alot of stuff on the subject. Life in the court is treacherous and crazy. In the 1800s, in the court of the Sultan of Darfur, everyone had to do whatever the Sultan was doing. It went so far, that if the Sultan twisted his ankle and had a limp, all the courtiers had to limp as well. The royal court structure is very much alive in the modern business environment and it pays to know everything you can about being a good courtier.
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:38 pm

I've never read much about Middle Eastern courts, that's pretty crazy!

I agree, nothing really changes, things just get somewhat rearranged. There are certainly a lot of parallels between today's business world and royal courts, interpersonal connections being often more important than numbers on paper. So, would that make Donald Trump the king?
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Wait, no, more likely George Soros...
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Trump and Soros are monarchs in their courts. Any rich, powerful person takes that role in his or her environment. I think if I had to pick my position in the court, I would pick the King's Hand. You do all his dirty work, wield his authority, and when the crap hits the fan they go after him and not you.

Last edited by The Jinn on Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:47 am

Clever, be the man behind the scenes. I wonder what position I would have been good at. Women could do lots of interesting things at court. Dangerous though Wink
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:32 am

Goldilocks wrote:
Clever, be the man behind the scenes. I wonder what position I would have been good at. Women could do lots of interesting things at court. Dangerous though Wink

Empress Wu started out as a concubine and eventually ran China for an extended and fruitful period. Of course she ruthlessly murdered anyone who got in her way, including her own baby to set up the previous Empress for the murder. Empress Wu made the hard decisions.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:40 am

Happy now, occupy? You got your free college education, so f**k off now, please...

What? I asked nicely for them to f**k off Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:54 am

Leviathan wrote:
Happy now, occupy? You got your free college education, so f**k off now, please...

What? I asked nicely for them to f**k off Laughing

Nice always helps. I've learned more from other coders on the internet than I learned in 6 years of college. They don't teach you the good stuff in college. But, what about Death To Oppression? (or whatever the hell it is that they were asking for.) And Free Samy!!! (I don't think he's in jail again yet, but if he is free him.)
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:24 pm

The Jinn wrote:
Goldilocks wrote:

Empress Wu started out as a concubine and eventually ran China for an extended and fruitful period. Of course she ruthlessly murdered anyone who got in her way, including her own baby to set up the previous Empress for the murder. Empress Wu made the hard decisions.
Wow... yeah I"m not ruthless. And in social situations, mostly go unnoticed entirely. I'm good at keeping secrets though Smile
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:29 am

Goldilocks wrote:
The Jinn wrote:
Goldilocks wrote:

Wow... yeah I"m not ruthless. And in social situations, mostly go unnoticed entirely. I'm good at keeping secrets though Smile

That's a good start for a royal court.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:55 am

That seems like quite a niche interest. I've always found anything related to nobles/royalty/rich people to be ludicrously mundane and/or depressing to me.

My historical interests are in the history of arms and armor, particularly swords and the process of crafting them. I don't have a preference in time period or region of the world.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:18 am

Double Helix wrote:
That seems like quite a niche interest. I've always found anything related to nobles/royalty/rich people to be ludicrously mundane and/or depressing to me.

My historical interests are in the history of arms and armor, particularly swords and the process of crafting them. I don't have a preference in time period or region of the world.

I love the dramas associated with being in the royal court during savage times. The court of Henry The Eighth was a good example of that. Thomas Cromwell and Ann Boleyn HATED each other and the chaos that erupted from their rivalry is the stuff of legends. Thomas won and Ann was executed, but he got his later.
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:53 pm

The court of Henry VIII is one I've read about somewhat, and that was before "The Other Boleyn Girl" came out, haha. Definitely a dangerous place to be. That's what I meant by it being dangerous to be a woman at court. Your position was mostly used by men to further their own.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:12 am

Goldilocks wrote:
The court of Henry VIII is one I've read about somewhat, and that was before "The Other Boleyn Girl" came out, haha. Definitely a dangerous place to be. That's what I meant by it being dangerous to be a woman at court. Your position was mostly used by men to further their own.

Yeah in that time and place a woman had to be as nasty as the men around her and had to do away with them before they did away with her.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:27 am

Nifty. Thanks for the link.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:56 am

Gadgetastic! wrote:
Nifty. Thanks for the link.

Spreading knowledge is my mission in life. Anytime brother.
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:26 am

The Jinn wrote:
Goldilocks wrote:

Yeah in that time and place a woman had to be as nasty as the men around her and had to do away with them before they did away with her.
I probably would have had too many morals and virtues to survive there. I'd be better off in the country, it's probably what I would have chosen had I lived back then... assuming I had the option of either, haha.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:13 am

Goldilocks wrote:
The Jinn wrote:
Goldilocks wrote:

I probably would have had too many morals and virtues to survive there. I'd be better off in the country, it's probably what I would have chosen had I lived back then... assuming I had the option of either, haha.

Anyone raised in the court was raised to be vicious...yet very polite.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:12 am

I will second Jinn's statement, the Intro to Comp Sci class is well done, as is Physics by Walter Lewin and Solid State Chemistry. Also, Stanford, UC Berkley, Ohio State and others have great free lecture series on iTunes as well.
Back to top Go down
Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:50 am

Wow i didn't realize so many schools had those. I'll have to check into those after the first of the year, when my brain is less overwhelmed with holiday plans.

I have very little desire to return to school in a ... tuition paying, textbook buying capacity, but every desire to keep learning.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:06 am

Browse on iTunes in the little known section called 'iTunes University". Great programs on thousands of topics from reputable schools.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Free MIT for all!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Free MIT for all!    Free MIT for all!  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Free MIT for all!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next