Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones

Go down 
+17
Shade Gargoyle
Proteus
Tommyknocker
Red Dragon
Equal
Instructor
Crossfire the Crusader
Stephen Hannaway
Lunar Veil
SkyMan
DarkShadow
Leviathan
Polarman
E0N (Inactive)
Idea Man
Gauge
Urban Avenger
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:12 am

Ok, first gripe.

To those arguing that the parents said it was ok also... Did PJ explain to everyone before hand that his armor was solid enough to potentially fracture bones? I doubt it. It looks like rubber. Rubber is soft and pliable. Parents saying it's ok is not an excuse. The person wearing the armor is the only one aware of the actual physical properties of what he's wearing. This argument is invalid. Do not mention it again.

Should PJ have let the kid punch him? In all honesty, no. Can anyone really blame him for getting caught up in the moment and letting the kid take a swing? Sure, go ahead if you want, but I can't. It was a mistake. I don't agree with how he handles himself in the press. The whole "The parents said it was ok, so don't blame me" schtick makes me kind of queazy, especially since this guy is supposed to be a role model. He needs to learn more about what taking responsibility for one's actions means.

It was an accident. It happens. The kid has a story to tell people now. PJ's personality is questionable.

Now, my second gripe...

Nothing against you red Dragon, you are just the latest to hit on the boiling point for me...

Red Dragon wrote:
Go out and do something good for someone.

I hear phrases like this on this site far to often as a way of chastising people for posting their opinions and this is officially the most asinine thing ever written on the internet. To assume that because someone has something to say on the internet, they are obviously shirking their duties to the rest of the world and as a result thousands have no doubtedly lost their lives in the process is an overwhelmingly brainless response to hearing something you don't want to hear.

It seems that it's the RLSH equivalent to the old TROLL line: "Don't you have anything better to do?"

Let me ask those of you who like to punctuate your arguments with this particular gem: Are you trolls? This community appears to despise trolls, so why the Hell are you using n00b troll tactics?

To the next person to express this glorious term of self superiority - Pause before putting fingers to keys and realize this: By typing this phrase, you instantly become guilty of EXACTLY what you are turning your nose up at everyone else for. Fix it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:14 am

Last edited by Dark Wolf on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:08 am

I'm deleting this post, but want to point out that I had a response that was more than annoyed. Not based on the PJ thing so much, but that people still devote energy to this crap. And yes, it's crap.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Parents, people of authority who were present, the king of France, it does not matter, the argument and EXCUSE was made that whoever was ultimately responsible for the children present gave the ok and THAT argument is invalid. Whether made from cement or upholstry foam, only PJ knew for sure, so please spare me the "unless you've examined" argument, because that is exactly my point - NO ONE examined anything.

And as was mentioned, it's a moot point anyway, since I even pointed out that accidents happen. My issue was with PJ's "not my fault" attitude. If you want to act as a role model you need to behave accordingly. He needs to man up and take responsibility.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Last edited by Dark Wolf on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:01 pm

I just have a kneejerk reaction to sharpshoot/criticize PJ these days.

It's petty. I guess it comes from having read one too many things about how awesome he is, mainly attributed to PJ directly.

Anyway, I don't carry around a code of conduct pledge that says "I vow to never be petty."

Whether it's overanalysis, overreaction, whatever -- all I can say is that when somebody does something amazing, I don't react this way.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:04 pm

I agree about the "go do something" critique above, by the way. I get the point of the logic behind it, but in effect it's a way of adding an excalamation point at the end of a person's comments that says "And now that I've said some stuff, end of story."

I get the "oh for heaven's sake" feeling, too, but if I said "oh for heaven's sake" everytime something in this community made me feel that way...

Eh. I'd be known as "that mean guy."

Probably.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:14 pm

AND... I've noticed that a large portion of my gripes, maybe the majority, related to this supposed News organization "KOMO."

It's not the mistake in the situation that immediately bugged me, so much as the spin: "Kid learns he's an idiot for punching superhero" rather than basic neutrality...

Plus the decision to publish any article about this at all, which KOMO seems to consistently come down on the side of writing about PJ with even the flimsiest justification to do so.

Now back in the old days superhero reporting from News agencies was objective:

Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Caped-wonder-still

Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Menace10
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Also...

I have to acknowledge that PJ has definitely elevated things/raised the bar/whatever in one way.

Before he started doing his thing the typical news story on a "superhero" was "ha ha, this guy exists."

That's not what they tend to be about now.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:46 pm

E0N wrote:
Also...

I have to acknowledge that PJ has definitely elevated things/raised the bar/whatever in one way.

Before he started doing his thing the typical news story on a "superhero" was "ha ha, this guy exists."

That's not what they tend to be about now.

This is true. Whatever else you have to say about the guy, you can't argue that.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:30 am

Yes, we've gone from "They exist!" to a weekly trip to the Supermarket because of things like this.

But this can be a good thing for the community at large as well. By the sheer fact that people know we're out there, there's chance for growth, to bring in new people with various talents. As they say in the press, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I'm not big on cameras, photo ops or media exposure myself, but there's an opportunity here. Tangen and Krulous read this board, maybe they know how to spin some of these stories with their media contacts, kind of an "As they happen" deal with a Crime-fighter media outlet hotline. The Super hero story breaks, they help put it out the right way (unless things get WAY too out of control).
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22 am

That's an idea that i'd back 100% I think that's the kind of thing we need more of
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 am

Peter Tangen and Tea are pretty unlikely to agree to that, I think.

It also describes a serious and time-consuming job that people traditionally get paid money for doing.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:46 pm

If a kid had ever asked if he could punch me I just say no but he can do a high 5 with me any time and if the parents want to then the kid can get his pic taken with me as well Im never too busy for the kids Even if Im eating out they can sit at my table if they want to while waiting for their meals to come but there are several ways to look at one event

On my way here to the library a small child ran out into the road while his dad was having a smoke break outside the Northmart store I ran over and picked him up and brought him back to his father

Now the person in the car could see me saving the kid's life

yet

That very same action could also be seen as Im picking up someone else's kid out of his yard and running away with him if they dont realise that the dad is actually over by the store.

I did nothing wrong here but its how other people may see it from their point of view If I had stood by and did nothing the kid could have been killed now I not only risk getting hit by the car but I also risk being labled as a pedophile which is to me something far worse than death

however Im thinking only of the kids life while grabbing him He had already made it to the side of the road I was on The father was watching his son he just turned to throw the ciggerette into the trash bin before he went in to do his shopping
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Polititians have literal teams of people working on how the media portrays them, and still the dirt gets out. It's going to be near impossible for any cape to appear spotless in the media... That being said, anyone who plans on seeking out the spotlight had better be on their game
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Yeah, but most politicians are dirtballs anyway, so it's to be expected.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:32 am

E0N wrote:
It also describes a serious and time-consuming job that people traditionally get paid money for doing.

That can describe most volunteer positions.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:01 am

Some, yes, but people seek them out and volunteer to do them.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:27 pm

If you post an ad for a volunteer position, they will come.
Back to top Go down
Shade Gargoyle

Shade Gargoyle

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:47 am

I realize this may not do wonders for my stellar popularity, but I find myself really in agreement with Red Dragon on this one... I honestly don't see what the issue is here, or even why it made the news, for that matter. Is it because the boy broke his thumb? Who among us hasn't broken a bone at some point? Is it because Phoenix allowed the child to punch him? In the case of many eleven year-olds, you wouldn't be able to stop them from punching you. Phoenix warned him, after all.

The notion of this being entirely Phoenix Jones' fault seems frankly foolish to me - how is it Phoenix's fault that, after clearly giving the boy fair warning that he might be hurt, the boy weighed the odds, decided to punch him and was hurt? I realize eleven years old is quite young, but is the argument here that Noah isn't responsible for his decision, or that he wasn't in control of his actions? Because, even through the haze of years, I can pretty clearly recall having free will at age eleven.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 am

Speak for yourself, my mommy said "no no non... don't break that" or "no no non... Don't punch that boy in the balls"

Free will at eleven my ass Laughing

Jokes aside, it's clear there are three camps in this thing.
1. PJ is a dumbass
2. PJ, the kid and the parent's are dumbasses
3. The kid and parent's are dumbasses

PJ gave fair warning to the kid and his parents about what might happen if he punched his armour.
Noah made the decision to first ask and then punch after getting his parent's permission.
The parent said it was ok to punch a guy in his armoured stomach.

God, you're acting like he pepper sprayed someone...

Shade Gargoyle wrote:
I realize this may not do wonders for my stellar
popularity, but I find myself really in agreement with Red Dragon on
this one...
Who are you again?
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:03 am

You forgot camp 4... Accidents happen but PJ took a kind of douchy route in dealing with it.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:13 am

Camp 5, I no longer give a crap.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:25 pm

Camp 6 - Picking someone to "blame" for every fucking thing that happens in life is tiresome. Learn from mistakes. Stop calling everyone who makes one a "dumbass." Grow up a little. Focus more on the positives in life. Move on already.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:25 pm

73 replies. This PJ obsession is getting totally dumbass unchristian idioticly STUPID.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones   Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Business As Usual For Phoenix Jones
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next