Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?

Go down 
+7
Superman
Starman
Flora V. Arbor
Blue Rattler
Equal
Legacy
E0N (Inactive)
11 posters
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Empty
PostSubject: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:17 pm

I think people who have to ask this question may make some different choices than what's the conventional wisdom for eating healthy... for instance, eating egg yolks rather than only whites.

So if you want to chime in, please chime in.

Today I'm eating Tuna, rather than some other fish, precisely because it has more calories.

Specifically this, more or less: http://www.steaks-guide.com/article-pages/sea-food/pan_fried_tuna_steak_recipes.htm

But that's for later, for now canned tuna mixed with mayonnaise and relish on toast. It's, like, tuna day or something.

Don't eat tuna and sue me, though... I'm not a professional.
Back to top Go down
Legacy

Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:41 am

well are you trying to gain muscle mass or just weight?

muscle mass entails upping your protein intake

weight gain is kind of just upping your caloric intake

theres more to both of these of course and you can just search the web. im no expert at this, so any constructive criticism is welcome, and encouraged. but i do know adding muscle mass can increase weight as well, but adding more weight can slow one down if you dont train to counteract (like running as fast as you can with one of those mini parachute looking things)

after my every other day weight training i have a glass of milk w/ a raw egg, a double egg sandwich with cheese, and another glass of milk. its about a 53g protein meal! and when i say glass of milk i measure 2 cups w/ a measuring cup.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:11 pm

I just stick to low GI carbs, make sure I got proteins in every meal and follow craves. For gaining I calculate 40 calories/kg(desired weight) a day. Proteins are important, don't underestimate the powah of carbs.

Bad carbs (high GI, usually sabotaged in factories to make you a sugar addict) make you fat, good carbs (low GI, like nature intended) give you stable blood sugar levels, a stable sluppy of energy.

People and bodies might be different, I only got experience with my own.
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Check out the book, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Or if you want a simple, old school, wrestling routine:

- Drink 1 US Gallon of Milk Daily throughout the day (1/4 four times a day).
- Eat every three hours (milk is OK to count as a snack)
- Do squats (with weights)
- You'll need about 5K calories/day to gain weight

You'll have some fat to lose after you gain the weight, but you'll have increased lean muscle.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm

I think that I see the "Where's Flora" sign
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Legacy wrote:
well are you trying to gain muscle mass or just weight?

muscle mass entails upping your protein intake

weight gain is kind of just upping your caloric intake

theres more to both of these of course and you can just search the web. im no expert at this, so any constructive criticism is welcome, and encouraged. but i do know adding muscle mass can increase weight as well, but adding more weight can slow one down if you dont train to counteract (like running as fast as you can with one of those mini parachute looking things)

after my every other day weight training i have a glass of milk w/ a raw egg, a double egg sandwich with cheese, and another glass of milk. its about a 53g protein meal! and when i say glass of milk i measure 2 cups w/ a measuring cup.

Protein can only go up a tiny bit and get absorbed.

More than 33 is not going to get absorbed except by Shaq.
Raw egg white lines the intestine and prevents absorption.

I LOVE milk!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Equal wrote:
I just stick to low GI carbs, make sure I got proteins in every meal and follow craves. For gaining I calculate 40 calories/kg(desired weight) a day. Proteins are important, don't underestimate the powah of carbs.

Bad carbs (high GI, usually sabotaged in factories to make you a sugar addict) make you fat, good carbs (low GI, like nature intended) give you stable blood sugar levels, a stable sluppy of energy.

People and bodies might be different, I only got experience with my own.

nooo nooo nooo nooo

SASSY Flora!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 pm

Blue Rattler wrote:
Check out the book, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Or if you want a simple, old school, wrestling routine:

- Drink 1 US Gallon of Milk Daily throughout the day (1/4 four times a day).
- Eat every three hours (milk is OK to count as a snack)
- Do squats (with weights)
- You'll need about 5K calories/day to gain weight

You'll have some fat to lose after you gain the weight, but you'll have increased lean muscle.

This is pretty darned good
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:45 pm

The workout can be discussed separately.

Three plates of food every four hours will do it.

Heavy on the carbs, STILL lowish in fat,
precise protein with TWO extra grams.

DO NOT MISS a feeding

Back to top Go down
Starman

Starman

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 pm

E0N wrote:
I think people who have to ask this question may make some different choices than what's the conventional wisdom for eating healthy... for instance, eating egg yolks rather than only whites.

So if you want to chime in, please chime in.

Today I'm eating Tuna, rather than some other fish, precisely because it has more calories.

Specifically this, more or less: http://www.steaks-guide.com/article-pages/sea-food/pan_fried_tuna_steak_recipes.htm

But that's for later, for now canned tuna mixed with mayonnaise and relish on toast. It's, like, tuna day or something.

Don't eat tuna and sue me, though... I'm not a professional.

Tuna and Mayo is the best thing ever Very Happy

Seriously, if I could only have one thing for every meal to eat, tuna and mayo.

It's delicious.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks for all the input, guys. Yeah -- delicious and easy.
Back to top Go down
Superman

Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:27 pm

If you ever want to lose weight I recommend the BUBBA method. You get your self a good old boy named Bubba that’s about twice your size. Give him a list of what and how much you are allowed to eat on your diet. If it isn’t on the list Bubba smacks it out of your hand taking it away from you.

Low Tech but Effective

Superman
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm going to recommend Superman's ways now

( silly face )
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:14 pm

my boss is just getting home from tuna fishing he expects to bring home 10 to 20 35lb fish . we are gonna spend all day tuesday canning . im gonna end up with 20 quart jars of the best meat on earth .
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:24 am

The Reverend wrote:
my boss is just getting home from tuna fishing he expects to bring home 10 to 20 35lb fish . we are gonna spend all day tuesday canning . im gonna end up with 20 quart jars of the best meat on earth .

That's very cool. I'm no nutrition expert, but I regard tuna as a "superfood." Hope you eat at least a little of it fresh. Fish is usually much better fresh -- especially tuna as sushi (if you're into that).
Back to top Go down
Deel

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 am

To maintain or gain weight you'd be best following a calorie controlled body-builder type diet and either eating at maintenance or a few hundred calories over (depending on how fast you want to gain weight)

Also, I saw someone say you can only absorb so much protein at a time, I'm sorry but thats been discredited these days
Largely its all about calories in vs calories out

P.s 1st post :-)
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Deel. Extra protein does not get absorbed.

Gaining "weight" is a combo of gaining muscle AND fat.

It has been shown, definitively, that SOME fat must be put on to gain muscle.

Back to top Go down
Deel

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:37 pm

I dont disagree with the fact that you inevitably gain fat and muscle, but there isn't a set limit on how much protein you can intake in one sitting
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:10 pm

YASS THAR IZ
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:54 am

My suggestion is to find a good online diet and activity tracker...It will help you adjust your diet and activity to meet up with your desired outcomes...it takes a little discipline to enter your info every day, but ini the long run it is well worth it...I've been doing this since August and Im already down 32 pounds.
Back to top Go down
Deel

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:49 am

Sorry I didn't explain myself too well, there is a limit but not a SET limit, its relative to the individual eg a 300lb body-builder could absorb more, efficiently, than a 130lb non-lifter
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:57 pm

IT has nothing to do with more efficient absorption.

A bigger bucket holds more water
Back to top Go down
Dreamscape

Dreamscape

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:39 pm

The body regulates the metabolic processes entirely. Flora is correct, there is no such thing as more efficient absorption. All processes are automatic in your body as necessary, they will not become more efficient simply because you are in a higher weight class.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 pm

yep, we can increase strength but we cannot increase the speed of healing
or the growth of hair
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?   How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How can I eat to gain or maintain my weight?
Page 1 of 1