Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

10 Ways to Become Fit

Go down 
+6
Superman
Urban Avenger
E0N (Inactive)
adamm[]
Flora V. Arbor
Blue Rattler
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:02 am

I was talking about refined sugars, Flora. Where did alcohol come from? Look, I'm sorry, but whith the "knowledge" you demonstrate there's no way I can believe you're a certified anything. I have no problem with you being part of this community, but I don't believe you should be able to present information in a professional capacity any longer. That's my case. It's resting.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:03 am

No I havent.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 am

Proteus wrote:
I was talking about refined sugars, Flora. Where did alcohol come from? Look, I'm sorry, but whith the "knowledge" you demonstrate there's no way I can believe you're a certified anything. I have no problem with you being part of this community, but I don't believe you should be able to present information in a professional capacity any longer. That's my case. It's resting.

No sugar processes the way tha alcohol does.

You cannot get in trouble because you ate sugar.
Your brain is SERIOUSLY impaired if you intake alcohol.

Really really, guys, NO alcohol is better for you than refined sugar.

The evil goes in this order:

1. alcohol is worst ( and too much flax seed )
2. too much fat is next
3. over consumption of protein is next
4. refined flour and sugar and bleached rice are, a little bit next
but not that bad
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:12 am

Really, have any of ever taken the ACE personal trainer test?

You can order the book and take the test near you.

It can be a job, or, just enjoy that every thing in the book applies to your own body
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:03 am

I'm back home on my own computer... Been doing this on my phone all night.

Where did the alcohol talk come from? I never once mentioned alcohol in anything I was saying.

Quote :
or whatever, you should know that carbs that the body cannot process turns into what? That's right, it turns into fat. Congrats, all the starving children you just tried to save are still starving.

THEY EAT A LOT OF WHITE RICE ) WITH THE "B" VITAMINS REMOVED )
WHEN EVER IT IS SENT TO THEM.
REFINE WHITE RICE AND REFINED WHITE FLOUR
AND DRY MILK ARE, EXACTLY WHAT IS SENT.

Ok, I'm not going to jump off the handle here. I'm not going to assume that you just said refined white rice and refined white flour are ok because that's what they ship out to feed starving children, because if you were, I'd seriously be calling to have you banned from this forum right now, because that would officially be the most irresponsible thing I've ever directly heard a supposed "professional" say. Those children are shipped refined white rice and flour because it's cheap and keeps them alive.... not healthy, alive... and just barely. I was being sarcastic with my initial comment. You were serious... This concerns me greatly.

As for alcohol, since you want to get in to that, Yes, Alcohol impairs your judgement and in excess damages the liver and brain.

Let's see what the internet says about refined sugar: "The body cannot utilize this refined starch and carbohydrate unless the depleted proteins, vitamins and minerals are present. Nature supplies these elements in each plant in quantities sufficient to metabolize the carbohydrate in that particular plant. There is no excess for other added carbohydrates. Incomplete carbohydrate metabolism results in the formation of 'toxic metabolite' such as pyruvic acid and abnormal sugars containing five carbon atoms. Pyruvic acid accumulates in the brain and nervous system and the abnormal sugars in the red blood cells. These toxic metabolites interfere with the respiration of the cells. They cannot get sufficient oxygen to survive and function normally. In time, some of the cells die. This interferes with the function of a part of the body and is the beginning of degenerative disease."

The average person has what, three or four drinks a week? The average person consumes 22 teaspoons of sugar DAILY. That's 150 lbs of refined sugar per year. that's not including the refined carbs they are getting from white flour and rice.

You do the math.

We live in a society that is slowly killing itself with processed filth and you seem to be just fine with it. Please explain to me again how you are a certified professional?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:13 am

Here's an interesting way to weigh this out:

Debate #1 -Ice Cream vs. White flour

hajimei!

Debate #2 -Ice Cream vs. White Cane Sugar or Beet Sugar

hajimei!

Debate #3 -Ice Cream vs. White Rice

hajimei!

Debate #4 -Ice Cream vs. Alcohol

hajimie!

(You can add more if you want, please and thank you!)
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:29 am

Ice Cream vs. a pile of salt

hajimei!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 am

I mentioned alcohol for a comparison against white rice

UA was wigging over beer in a simiilar thread
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:25 am

Proteus wrote:
We live in a society that is slowly killing itself with processed filth and you seem to be just fine with it. Please explain to me again how you are a certified professional?

I'm not a nutritionist, a certified trainer, an occupational therapist, etc etc... all of those kinds of things have been some part of my life somehow, so I'm also not completely ignorant on the subjects.

I think the strength of Flora's information stands on its own merits. So IMO there is nothing to prove, although I believe her claims about certification.

I have yet to single a single bit of dangerous advice from her. The only things I've ever disagreed with her about... I actually had to acknowledge I really agreed with her, but wasn't going to follow her advice regardless (which everyone has the option to do)... mainly because of convenience or being more willing to risk injury for immediate benefits than her advice suggested.

Please point to the specific irresponsible advice Flora has ever posted here... or any advice of hers that you can prove is wrong or incorrect, for that matter.

I'll also note that while some people may have thought she acts a little weird, many of the seriously fitness oriented guys who no longer participate in this forum never challenged any of her information. Superhero for example... or Zero... KO. etc.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:44 pm

E0N wrote:
Proteus wrote:

I'm not a nutritionist, a certified trainer, an occupational therapist, etc etc... all of those kinds of things have been some part of my life somehow, so I'm also not completely ignorant on the subjects.

I think the strength of Flora's information stands on its own merits. So IMO there is nothing to prove, although I believe her claims about certification.

I have yet to single a single bit of dangerous advice from her. The only things I've ever disagreed with her about... I actually had to acknowledge I really agreed with her, but wasn't going to follow her advice regardless (which everyone has the option to do)... mainly because of convenience or being more willing to risk injury for immediate benefits than her advice suggested.

Please point to the specific irresponsible advice Flora has ever posted here... or any advice of hers that you can prove is wrong or incorrect, for that matter.

I'll also note that while some people may have thought she acts a little weird, many of the seriously fitness oriented guys who no longer participate in this forum never challenged any of her information. Superhero for example... or Zero... KO. etc.

I actually said specifically that nothing she's said could be considered harmful.

Quote :
While the majority of advice you give may not be directly damaging to people, it flies in the face of accepted current views on nutrition, and anyone following advice like "refined foods keep you from starving" are going to be confused as hell when their stomachs keep getting bigger.

The majority of the things she says completely contradicts every single source I've looked up. This may simply be a case of her "being a professional and no one else is allowed to know what they are talking about" or what, but much of the advice she gives isn't going to help anyone. She spends a lot of time talking about how we live in a society of "fat haters" and "skinny people not being healthy"... Well, if she's following her own advice I can completely believe that she's not healthy. She spouts and spouts about every source on the internet trying to sell you something, yet the only link she posts here is trying to sell you something.

It may not be enough to convince you that she's not legit, and that's fine. All I can do is stress to anyone that you really have no idea who anyone is on the internet. Take everything this woman says (and anyone else, for that matter) with a heavy grain of salt. Do your own research. Consult professionals, and go from there.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:46 pm

E0N wrote:

Oh, and this... Read back through the posts I made on this thread. I pointed out the things she's said that is wrong on this thread specifically
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:04 pm

From reading through it I just see an argument and some jumping to conclusions that weren't stated.

Sure... take everyone with a grain of salt, but I don't see the point of your mission to try and discredit/ban Flora.

People who are BSing don't show consistency over time.
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:26 pm

In my personal dealings with Flora, she has shown a complete lack of knowledge that nutritionists should possess.

She flat out denies how different chemicals influence the body's ability to store and process fat, everything is bones, muscles and protein with her. on this very thread she treats refined foods like there's nothing wrong with them when every nutritionist I have ever encountered screams that processed and refined foods are the worst things you could put into your body (apart from drugs or actual poisons - I know someone would chime in over that). Her understanding of the nutritional values of SIMPLE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES is off. In this very thread she states that romaine lettuce has no greater nutritional value than iceberg lettuce. Blatantly false. Sure, that's small beans, but this is stuff that a nutritionist should be able to cite in their sleep

Those are the worst. For much of the rest it's not that she's completely wrong, she just seems... skewed... in her understandings of how things work. You talk about consistency, and yes, she has been consistent in just how off her views on things are.

But hey, like I said, I'm not a nutritionist. I'm not an expert. She very well could be a fully certified nutritionist who also happens to be the only completely honest professional in a field that is dedicated to lying to the public for whatever reason, because every SINGLE thing I've researched as fact I have seen her directly contradict.

Flora's a nice lady. No one will argue that. I want to be clear that in no way do I believe she's trying to be deliberately misleading or harmful to the community in any way, and I do not expect anyone who is friendly with her to just suddenly turn on her, and in spite of how it may appear in an above post, I do not want her banned. (that was a sensitive subject).

I cannot sit idly by and see someone pass information and advice as the truth when I know it for a fact to be false, or at the very least skewed.

Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:35 pm

I too think Flora's a nice lady and hope nothing I put down makes anyone thing otherwise. I just find Flora's writing kind of cryptic. Her posts read like some weird free-form poetry.

The reason nutrition is such 'controversial' subject is because we, as humans, are very adaptable creatures. Perhaps that's our greatest asset.

Look at the teeth in our mouths. There are teeth in there that can rip meat like carnivores, or grind plants like herbivores.

What one choses to eat is such a personal part of each and everyone of us. What we eat, in a literal sense, makes us who we are.

For those reasons, nutrition (like all sciences) will never be black and white.

The issue I have isn't that Flora disagrees. It's the way she tells us we're wrong, and then provides little info other than her abstract thoughts to support her claims.

Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:13 pm

I mentioned I thought I might have hypothyroidism because of the symptons I had. She just said I was wrong and left it at that
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Personal opinions here or anecdotal knowledge or whatever... but, my understanding is that all lettuce essentially has negative nutritional value because of the energy required to digest it.

Also I think the "avoid all sugars" and "oh knoes, da cabrohydrates and glootenz" stuff going around these days is faddish and silly. In five years we'll be told we need them or we'll drop dead.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Even without any special expertise, if you live long enough it becomes pretty obvious they change this "knowledge" regularly in response to market forces...
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Fair enough.
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:59 pm

flora is correct about what alcohol does to the body , but it does reduce stress . stress is as bad for the heart as smoking and kills the brain . so im gonna open another beer .

love the fitness advice flora but i chose differently on this one
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:48 am

Why this time rev?
Back to top Go down
Arpenteur

Arpenteur

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:37 am

It's always the time for another beer !
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:39 am

Arpenteur wrote:
It's always the time for another beer !

Yes. Lets do that.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 am

The only way to get fit is taking responsibility for yourself. Internet got a lot info about nutrition, but if you haven't learned the basics of the philosophy of science it might be hard to sort the relevant data from the noise.

Your body, your responsibility.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10 Ways to Become Fit   10 Ways to Become Fit - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

10 Ways to Become Fit
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4