Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Superpowers"

Go down 
+12
onikage
Urban Avenger
E0N (Inactive)
Chivalry
Vursman
Blue Phoenix
Idea Man
Rook2
Gauge
Silver Sentinel
The Jinn
Bearman
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

"Superpowers" - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:59 pm

<deleted>

Last edited by Dark Wolf on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
onikage

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Interesting info about "chi"
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:03 pm

Interesting subject. The first thing I'd ask is, what exactly qualifies as super powers? It is a fact proven by application of scientific method in a controlled environment that there are people with abilities that go well beyond the norm. In fact, there are even known mutants with abilities simply unobtainable by the average person. Lance Armstrong is one example. His lung capacity and resting heart rate are significantly better than can be explained through simple training. In fact it has been suggested that this provides him with an unfair advantage. Then there is the example of double muscling which, while not actually making someone double strong, does appear to offer advantages Joe Average doesn't have. I can't recall his name but there was a pro baseball player whose brain was able to process images 50% faster thus providing him with a significant advantage over his peers.

On a personal note, since being diagnosed with Asperger's I've done a lot of research and there are some respected experts of the opinion that Autism Spectrum Disorders may be an entirely natural evolutionary function of the human brain, only made awkward by the fact that the evolution is only partially complete and not yet part of mainstream humanity. I have far above average lateral thinking abilities and can make intuitive leaps based on obsessive partially-concious pattern identification. Does this mean I have superpowers?

And what about abilities granted by unnatural elements? Some of my favorite comic book characters were given "Super Soldier Serums" or bathed in radiation, or the subject of experimentation. In real life there are runners who've lost their legs and had them replaced with sping-function prosthetics that allow for such powerful strides there is serious debate over if they should be allowed to compete against "fully organic" runners.

What about drug addicts who can sustain massive injuries without pause?

Do all of these qualify as, "Super Powers?"

Gadgetastic?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:34 am

As a person who has been homeless
I will share that what you hold in your mind as you are looking
at a person matters.

Also, if you are homeless, you learn to trust your feelings.

It isn't a superpower.
It's an aware human, undistracted by teachings
or day-dreams -
simply paying attention

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 am

If you are looking at a person and thinking in your mind that this person is a dork,

tiny bits of your mood will be there.

If you can manage to think of the person in a way that the person will find flattering,
you - might - be able to lean toward a change of mood in the situation

PS. not the way that YOU would flatter the person,
the way that the other person would find flattering

Picturing a person in a weak way and ramping that up can elicit panic

that is why I recommend flattery

I honor your suggestions
Back to top Go down
Night Stryder

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:17 am

I highly recommend "Initiation into Hermetics" by Franz Bardon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just read the table of contents and you would see that the first couple of steps would be highly beneficial to almost anyone, especially those out doing what superheroes do. I especially like the memory exercises and how step 1 helps develop a calm and collected mind.
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:

It isn't a superpower.
or day-dreams -
simply paying attention

Thank you. Like I was saying before, a lot of the things that people interpret as supernatural are really just normal human talents that most of us do not possess. There was a time when ventriloquism was used by dishonest people to con others into believing that the gods were speaking through inanimate objects.

Have you ever seen the TV show Psych? It is basically answering the question: What if Sherlock Holmes did not explain how he came up with his amazing deductions and instead pretended to be a psychic? I think that a lot of these so-called psychics that help police to solve crimes in real life are basically like the guy from Psych. People like that might not even know that they are not really psychic. They could believe that they are using some kind of extra-sensory perception, when really they are just smart people using normal human perception in a way that other people do not.

I am sure that most of you have heard this quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." I beleive that the same thing is true of human talents.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:55 pm

Idea Man wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

It isn't a superpower.
or day-dreams -
simply paying attention

Thank you. Like I was saying before, a lot of the things that people interpret as supernatural are really just normal human talents that most of us do not possess. There was a time when ventriloquism was used by dishonest people to con others into believing that the gods were speaking through inanimate objects.

Have you ever seen the TV show Psych? It is basically answering the question: What if Sherlock Holmes did not explain how he came up with his amazing deductions and instead pretended to be a psychic? I think that a lot of these so-called psychics that help police to solve crimes in real life are basically like the guy from Psych. People like that might not even know that they are not really psychic. They could believe that they are using some kind of extra-sensory perception, when really they are just smart people using normal human perception in a way that other people do not.

I am sure that most of you have heard this quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." I beleive that the same thing is true of human talents.

well-typed good points, very good IMHO
Back to top Go down
Superhuman

Superhuman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Well the mind is cable of extraordinary things it just depends on what you consider a "superpower". There is a lot that we as humans do not understand, things that go beyond our comprehension.
Back to top Go down
Blue Phoenix

Blue Phoenix

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:14 pm

There is a special you guys should check out that they play on PLGN I think that's what it is. They do play it on one of the Discovery or Nat.Geo.,channels. It's called Real Superhumans,and it talks about people that have real superpower like abilities. It is a really good special.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

"Superpowers"
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4