Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fighting Arts Forum

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Fighting Arts Forum Empty
PostSubject: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is one of the most responsible and mature online community of martial artists I have yet to find. Like any forum, there are those that know what they are taking about, and then the typical other type...
I used this website a lot back when I was nearing my goal of black belt. It has many good points on it. Worth a look for anyone interested in martial arts.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:25 pm

My favorite was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Never actually seen that one. Looks good, thanks for the link DG!

~Shinobi
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Dark Guardian wrote:
My favorite was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That used to be one of my favorite internet haunts, but it's gone downhill with immaturity over the years in my humble opinion. I guess that's just the way of all forums on the internet though. Still some great people and excellent information/opinions to be found there though.

Shinobi, what's your martial arts background in if you don't mind me asking?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:05 pm

My original Techniques, I learned Taekwondo, then added techniques I later learned in Shotokan Karate, and my own techniques I have created over the course of my 9 years of martial arts. Due to me moving around recently though, I am no longer taking Karate, but will be picking up Kung Fu next month instead.

However, although I train in all these martial arts, my biggest drawback is my body's size, thus why I am working on improving my strength. After all, I'm only 150lbs. I just can't seem to keep body fat on me...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:26 pm

I used to have the exact same problem. Just keep eating a lot of protein and keep at the weight training. I was ridiculously skinny in high school and always trying to add weight and nothing seemed to work until I hit about age 23 and then I started packing on muscle quickly.

For smaller frames, Judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are excellent arts to pick up. Grappling styles are also really complimentary to your striking techniques to round things out. Judo is usually a cheap thing to pick up if you can find a club in your area. It's good for standing grapples, throws and takedowns, ground fighting, subs, chokes, balance, and takedown defense. If you can find an instructor who spends time focusing on ground techs and self defense applications as opposed to just the sports aspects, then it's even better.

I started in TaeKwonDo myself, but only briefly because it wasn't such a good school. I just didn't like the instructor. Then I switched to Judo which I did for most of my childhood and teen years. As an adult I found a pretty good place that taught both Kenpo Karate and Shootfighting, which is mostly submission wrestling with some Muay Thai and boxing mixed in.

Right now I just started at an MMA gym, which is expensive as hell, and being sport based it's not always the best tactical stuff for self defense, but the training is more realistic and full contact and I think that definitely has its advantages to making you strong and teaching you to "fight." I like how they teach a nice combo of things there too from boxing to BJJ.

I wish I could do this and stick to Kenpo too because I love that art, but time and money won't permit me to and I like to try new things and mix my training up. I accomplished more in Kenpo than any other style, so I hate leaving it, but felt it was just time to try something new.

ANYWAY....I ramble way too much on these forums. I'm about to change my name to THE RAMBLER or RANTMAN....Good luck with your martial arts training my friend!
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Praying Mantis what style Kempo?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 pm

Tracy's Kenpo, hence the spelling with an N even though it's pronounced like an M. The traditional stuff that Ed Parker taught before making changes that formed his American Kenpo style. Anytime there's a traditional Kenpo school that also has Shootfighing classes, it's probably based on the Tracy system. But I'm somewhat familiar with different versions of Kempo/Kenpo....not that I've trained any other types, but I've spent time learning what the differences are. You have some Kempo training DG?
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Yes. I teach a mixed style of it. My Kempo roots are mostly Kajukenbo. But we have taken things from lots of different styles of Kempo. Really what I teach is a mixed style of kempo, muay thai, boxing, with some grappling mostly BJJ, and a little Kali.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Sounds like good realistic stuff. Kajukenbo always seemed like one of the best styles for realistic self defense and street fighting to me. (Just from what I've read, seen, and heard about it.)

It sounds like you're taking some of the best proven fighting styles there and blending things together. I really think that's the best logical evolution for the martial arts. I wish I lived near you. I'd love to come learn from you some time.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:53 pm

Praying Mantis wrote:

ANYWAY....I ramble way too much on these forums. I'm about to change my name to THE RAMBLER or RANTMAN....Good luck with your martial arts training my friend!

How about: Praying Rantis or Prattling Mantis?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:07 pm

Gauge wrote:
Praying Mantis wrote:

How about: Praying Rantis or Prattling Mantis?

LOL! Nice...that's going into my sig somehow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Arts Forum   Fighting Arts Forum Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fighting Arts Forum
Page 1 of 1