Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wing Chun

Go down 
+14
Prof. Midnight
Gauge
Dark Guardian
herointraining
JohnDoe
Hazmat
Psyphon
Polarman
Flora V. Arbor
Urban Avenger
Bridges
Justice258
Superhero
Equal
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:30 pm

lol yellow bamboo is hilarious

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SqiNEWx633Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Back to top Go down
herointraining

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:42 pm

I really pity this guys hehehe, i dont think we have a yellow bamboo dojo here in Argentina, but it would be fun as hell to see their training

Last edited by herointraining on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:51 pm

I agree with Dark Guardian. Wing chun does have a lot of holes in it, but every martial arts does for that matter. Martial arts is just a giant game of rock, paper, scissors. Obviously skill plays into the equation much more in martial arts, but if you have all equally skilled combatants there is always a marital art that is predisposed to defeat some other martial art, but is equally deficient itself against another art altogether. Best to learn what to use and when. Personally my defensive hand techniques and hand chambering lean toward wing chun; my hand offense is a fair combination of bagua and tai chi with a few wing chun chain punches and JKD vertical punches mixed in; my footwork has a tendency to rotate rapidly through TKD, and muay thai, but i really like using wing chun body changes and spins and circles from bagua; offensively though my legs almost exclusively use TKD and muay thai.

The ratios of what I'm doing with any of those martial arts changes on a case by case basis, but when I'm in my comfort zone thats about how things play out.

I realize that the paragraph before last makes me sound like "that guy", but I'd be happy to speak with anyone privately if the validity of my statements come into play. I actually have a lot of knowledge in this field and would like to maintain the integrity of my posts as I am severely sympathetic with the cause and views of this community and would like the knowledge I have to help in any way I can.
Back to top Go down
herointraining

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Of course, we are not students of a definitive martial art at all, the advantage in a fight comes with wit and experience from previous fights. One time i was sparring at kickboxing with a fat guy who was nicknamed The Tank, and i noticed that when i threw a low kick i kind of looked down, so instead of throwing a low kick, i looked down while throwing a high one. I took him on surprise kicking him while he did the motion for a jab (The Tank was a chubby short guy, i would named him The Dishwasher or something like that) and gave me the chance to connect a few more hits, of course it wasnt enough to take him down, but it is good to have a card or two under the sleeve
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:11 pm

herointraining what you are describing is basic short term psychological conditioning. It's commonly used in almost all martial arts. Don't get me wrong, it's a very functional tactic and will give you an advantage if you know how to use it, but it is not exclusive to wing chun. I'm actually writing my final paper in my history class on "The Evolution of Martial Arts" and "The Fundamental Principals of Martial Arts" in my Asian culture and humanities class in college. I'm going to be touching on the psychological impact of combat and how to manipulate it in both papers. Of coarse I haven't gotten that far in either paper yet as they will both be covering that topic toward the end. I only have about the first 4-5 pages of each written so far. Maybe when I get done with them I'll throw them up on the forum for everyone to check out. If your interested I can figure out a way to post a link to an excerpt of what I have written so far though.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:44 pm

It's also a very effective war strategy.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:04 pm

very true, very true
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Ambushes, ramming, counters, knives, guns, multible attackers, eye gauges, biting, bats, cats, dogs, jehovah's witnesses

There are no rules or laws in violence. It's random. I wouldn't put to much faith in a system. What's intresting with wing chun is how the principles and technices work in real violent situations, not the staged training scenarioes.

Holes in the system doesn't matter, only the holes in the fighter. A street fighter shouldn't rely on a 'system' when dealing with something caotic as violence. It's about whatever saves your ass without getting you convicted.
Back to top Go down
herointraining

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Psyphon that would be awesome Smile

Dogman, of course, what matters is to survive without being sent to jail for going too far. No Wing Tsun will save you from a bunch of prisoners around you 24/7

...maybe some Yellow Bamboo will do the trick Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:13 pm

I think what every martial arts system tries to give it's students is discipline and a sense of confidence. It helps you to realize when you can get out of fighting, and also when fighting is unavoidable, and helps you to keep your cool if the time to fight is upon you. The calmer you can stay, the less fuzzy your mind will be, and you'll be able to defend yourself to the best of your ability. I don't think any credible system is without merit, but I would certainly recommend adjusting ANY system to the realities of rlsh patrol.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Dogman: The fight or flight response in humans specifically has been conditioned to respond with the flight mechanism a large percentage of the time more than the fight mechanism. Basically everything that your body wants to do naturally in a combat situation (with no training that is) is wrong. Martial arts styles at lower proficiencies are very much a p155ing contest of who's is bigger and better, and stylistic differences cause tension between practitioners. In reality all martial arts are one and the same. They use the same anatomical and bio-mechanical principles. They use the same chemical responses, and they are all bound by the same laws of physics. What all styles are essentially training you to do is make the most of your personal physical characteristics and psychological state by training you how to control and in most cases remap synaptic responses so that your mind and body do the right thing instead of the wrong thing when in combat.

Gauge: We seem to be on the same page about a lot of these things Razz

herointraining: I'll try to get a separate post up with my first page of my humanities paper sometime soon.

Sorry I've brought this way off topic of wing chun and more into a general martial arts category. I'll try to reign in the rest of my responses a bit on this thread.

Keep in mind, no mater the style chosen (or lack of style) the only way to learn to fight is to fight. The only way to feel threatened in a fight is to be threatened in a fight. Train as real as possible or don't train. It'll give you a false sense of confidence and could get you hurt or killed.
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Actually, the other style in "The One" is supposed to be Hsing-i.

SH, you're right. JKD "The Style" (tm) is considered to to be a style of wing chun. Jun fan wing chun actually.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Xingyi Quan (or Hsing-i ... however you wanna say it) is not the same as wing chun, I'll admit, and you're right it is what was used by the bad Jet Li, but it has amazingly similar mechanics, so i believe it's a valid example of what wing chun can look like. Granted it is one of the three original internal styles, but that point lends more toward philosophy than mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:29 am

Dark Guardian wrote:
lol yellow bamboo is hilarious

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SqiNEWx633Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

herointraining wrote:
I really pity this guys hehehe, i dont think we have a yellow bamboo dojo here in Argentina, but it would be fun as hell to see their training

I know I am the cynical A-hole here with this, but I feel compelled to speak up. Not to those of you that already know better but to some of you that see this stuff and think it may have even the slightest grounding in reality.

Guys, this is all BS. Sorry but its true. I am what I would consider medium high in training when it comes to subject control and take-down. Biomechanics has no “mystical” aspect. It never has.

I would be very comfortable facing any of these "masters" when I was drunk, confused and exhausted. If anyone for even one instant thinks that they are going to stop an attacker by using “The Force”; well, a savage beating is in your future. Please people, don’t ever waste your time or resources on any training (I use that word VERY loosely here) that claims some connection to any sort of hocus-pocus.
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Darn! And I was ready to sign up for the "heavily-mystical, righteously ass-kicking school of self-defense"!!
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:56 pm

So the ten years I just spent on jedi training was for nothing?
Back to top Go down
Doberman

Doberman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:35 pm

herointraining wrote:
no no, it works for real experiences, we have trained on circumstances like i have my enemy trying to make a headlock or trying to hug me from the side to rob me, even with our eyes closed. Their philosophy is to never defend, but attack faster than the enemy and better. Their basic 4 laws are:

1: if the path is clear, go (attack xD)
2: if the path is not clear, stick to your opponent
3: if the opponent is stronger, you give up (doesnt mean to surrender XD, if i go with my muscular strength against someone stronger, i will lose, i will use the strength of my articulations and use the centerline of my body to deliver powerful hits)
4: if the opponent retreats, follow and KO him/her xD

my dad always said: "size and strength are no matter, skill and powers of observation are what matters."
Back to top Go down
herointraining

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:57 am

Hazmat wrote:
don’t ever waste your time or resources on any training (I use that word VERY loosely here) that claims some connection to any sort of hocus-pocus.

Bleh *throws away the Eye of Agamotto *
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:17 pm

yeah and I was ready to try out the Friday night all you can eat wing chun buffet at the Navigator Inn chinese food Resturant
Back to top Go down
Cassiopeia

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 am

Wing Chun is good for me as I prefer speed over power. But you have to be doing martial arts since childhood to be good in it fast, if not it will take more years (I think since most traditional martial arts are like that).
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Train hard against pressured opposition in any style of martial art and you will be a decent fighter. It's not about which martial art you choose it's about you, how hard you train, how often, and do you pit your training against realistic opposition or do you just waive your arms around in the air every practice.

Just to carry on with Dark Guardians offer I too am available to spar for those of you in my area. I'm not Bruce Lee but I am not afraid to mix it up, if your not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wing Chun - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wing Chun   Wing Chun - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Wing Chun
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Self Defense & Martial Arts-
Jump to: