Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to safely test out pepper spray?

Go down 
+10
Redline
Flora V. Arbor
Midnite Detective
Zimmer
Proteus
Urban Avenger
Gauge
Jack Shadow
E0N (Inactive)
DRock
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DRock

DRock

How to safely test out pepper spray? Empty
PostSubject: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:23 pm

I was reading the article on Liquid Hate when I got to thinking, "How do you test to see if it really works?".

Aside from spritzing yourself in the eyes, or spraying someone else, I really don't know how to test the potency of pepper spray or liquid hate.

And honestly, it sounds like a terrible idea, even with supervision. Even if I wear goggles.

I know someone here's self tested, crazy as that is. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

And would it make sense to self test such things to know what to expect and what to do about it?
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:26 pm

All you could do is spray it in your eyes. Goggles would defeat the purpose. Unlike stun guns pepper spray actually causes burns... I personally am not lining up to do it.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:28 pm

When I was in the student troopers, we were required to be sprayed with capstun in order to carry it. I'm not sure how smart it would be to test home brew like that, however.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:28 pm

I guess I would also like to see if the goggles I'm purchasing from the local army surplus are going to protect me from caustic materials.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:30 pm

If they do then they'll probably also fog up, sadly.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:36 pm

Is fogging up unavoidable?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:38 pm

To see if it's effective on humans, you need to test it on a human. At least for LH. You wouldn't have to test a boulder to know it'd he effective, but this is not the case here.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:39 pm

No, fogging can be avoided, but it usually requires venting (holes)... which would allow caustic materials to get in.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Huh... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I guess some transparent, breathable material would help in a situation like this.

I'll have to find some.

Thanks!

Edit: On second thought, that might be asking a bit much... I can't have it both ways.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:04 pm

"Goggle Defroster Habervision Fog Eliminator Fan":

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks EON, now I know what to put in my new mask.

Drock, no one way to do it really. Even when pepper spray was being developed, it had to be tested somehow.

Testing serves different purposes:

It let's you knwo if the stuff works on it, any improvements that may need to be made

And:

It let's you determine how much should be used on an assailant. You wouldn't want to empty the whole bottle on someone if a 1 second burst is enough.

I know exactly how long I should use my stun gun on the average person because I've used it on myself and know exactly what its capable of.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks for the advice. Time to man up, brew some liquid hate, and see what happens.

(Oh god I am so not looking forward to this.... *L*)
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:20 pm

It sucks. But it worth it.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Better you guys than me. I'll stick to stunning myself and just basically go with "whole bottle" in the pepper spray department.

Razz
Back to top Go down
Proteus

Proteus

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Many years ago my brother took a mace class. To show everyone how effective the stuff was, they put a little bit on a pencil eraser and touched it to the soft tissue just under the eye.

Of course my brother immediately came home and replicated this testing process on me. Now I've never been sprayed full on in the face, but I know by the effect that simple test had on me that I never want to.

So I suppose if you want to test it in a simple, safer way, you could do the eraser test.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:33 pm

I've been sprayed by Pepper Spray before. It was caught on tape and I wrote an article about the experience. I highly recommend ANYONE who carries pepper spray to have survived it themselves.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 pm

There's probably some value in it and I had seen the video before, Zimmer... but I've already had enough painful stuff in the eyes to build confidence experiences to last me pretty much forever.

I'll just learn from the effects it has on you guys.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 pm

I have the perfect test procedure:
I let Urban Avenger do it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 pm

I surprised a friend with a full-on two second blast in the face, providing five seconds of debilitating side effects, before realizing I hadn't actually sprayed him with mace. Suggestion is a powerful thing. I don't suggest you try this in an emergency situation, but it's a fun gag to play on friends.
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Naughty Gauge. Very Happy

I've done a similar trick with my insulin syringes. Break off the needle, put in a touch of water.
All they feel is a quick jab and wetness. Very Happy Absolute flipout and near fistfight. Whoops.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Holy smokes, that's devious. I imagine they put up quite a fight if they think they can't fight for long.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 pm

MD and Gauge,

do these people think that you are their friends too
or do you just use the word "friend" in place of
"guinea pig"

Wink

Last edited by Flora V. Arbor on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Soemone gave me a capstun.

It's sprayer didn't work.
I put a new top on it
and then,
( byebye wise image)

i putt myy finger in to MYY own eyeeeeee
(CUSSING).

do not test of self do not test on self do not test on self!

Buy a reputable product and only use it if you need to
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
MD and Gauge,

do these people think that you are their friends too
or do you just use the word "friend" in place of
"guinea pig"

Wink

He believes that a friend is just an enemy who hasn't attacked you yet. ...
Skipper

Penguins of Madagascar

Razz
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:08 pm

me laughy tooo mawch!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to safely test out pepper spray?   How to safely test out pepper spray? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How to safely test out pepper spray?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next