Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recruiting Tips?

Go down 
+7
E0N (Inactive)
Polarman
Gauge
Zimmer
Urban Avenger
Hazmat
Renegade X
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Renegade X

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:58 pm

So I founded and have been leading a team here in the Canadian Maritimes called O.W.L (Omega Watch League) for those of you who don't know. We started up last summer. We had at one point 8 members, but with time some members had to be cut and a couple quit though they were well on their way to being cut. I'm not a hard guy to please, but they were all either scared to crap to do anything or they just didn't participate with anything at all.

Anyways theres 4 of us, one of which has been working abroad, and we definitely could use the man/woman power. Lately O.W.L has been in a bit of a reboot and our direction and way of working has changed. I wanted to get some tips on what we could do to get more people interested. I know doing things in the community period should be a good way to get people involved, but after a scenario with the local paper, my family and me coming out about doing rlsh work...well things ended with the article being pulled on my request as to not disgrace my family. Anyways enough of that.

But yeah any tips anyone could offer, please I would appreciate it! Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:16 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that not everyone will be a street soldier. You said that some people were too scared to do anything. Perhaps you could look for ways for such folk to be support. I know its nice to have an oracle when I am out on the pavement. Also such folk could be part of charity event organization or participation without being combat troops. Maybe they can design and print flyers or help give your cause a presence in other ways. Anyone that has a desire to help can be of use. It just takes consideration to bring what they can do into play to your advantage.

I like to hit the street. I enjoy patrol and such but its not everyone's thing. So long as they are old enough there is no need for anyone's contributions to be wasted.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:43 am

Finding roles for them is hard to do, guess it depends on your focus. We use fliers mainly to recruit. But the documentary seems to be doing the job for us. Still, I'd rather have 3 guys who are awesome than 10 who suck. Remember quality vs. Quantity, we also interview potential candidates similar to a job interview. Of course, that doesn't seem to be weeding out anyone really.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:14 am

Three members is a sufficient size team. You have more power and potential than you realize and can achieve significant results without adding more teammates.

Furthermore, hard recruiting, trying to solicit people to join, is ineffective and will result in sub-par performance, as a general rule.
Back to top Go down
Renegade X

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks guys. Yeah interviewing is something we hope to do when the time comes, but again like Hazmat said I guess everyone can be of use. The guys we had on board never wanted to patrol, come to meetings or train. It was like pulling teeth out of a chicken. It worries me that we'll be recruiting people who won't have our backs when out on the streets.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:27 am

If you are going to recruit possible rlsh, you need disciplined, organized candidates. I'd much rather train someone who has the mental discipline and motivation needed to learn than to have to push the wrong people. Recruiting is possible, you just have to find good places to recruit from. And interviewing properly is essential.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:46 pm

You may also need to look into criminal record checks too As one who does children's entertainment I wont work with known pedophiles or other Dangerous Offenders
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:06 pm

If that was a requirement for doing crime patrols, Polarman, there would be far fewer rlsh. Most everyone can turn themselves around and do the right thing, with some exceptions of course. But I do agree that a background check is appropriate. I'd say a 5-10 year spam from the last criminal charge would show a change of character, or they just got better at nit getting caught. It's a judgment call.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:39 pm

If you want to subject me to a criminal background check and you expect me to work a number of hours that you consider appropriate, then any/all of the following criteria are also appropriate:

- you pay me (I'm not greedy; 1000 - 2000 USD per month would be sufficient... good luck finding another professional or semi-professional mercenary in North America willing to work for that Razz)
- you have such a prestigious group that many people are competing to join
- you dazzle me with your professionalism and all the next level $#!T your group is doing
- you provide me state-of-the-art equipment to play with in the field
- you arrange some awesome training for me

Just being realistic here.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Very practical requests, EON. The reality however is that you are trusting people to watch your back on patrol, and maybe with your life, and full disclosure goes a long way toward building trust. Mind you, disclosure is a two-way street, so those you choose to accept should have your background as well. Fair is fair. Crime patrol is a commitment of time, and is done voluntarily. If it is made clear that team members will be expected to commit to a minimum number of patrol hours per week, and they agree to a patrol schedule, then I see no reason why pay, or any other provisions, should be expected.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Provide medical insurance. You'd have people beating down your door to join.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Heh, or free gas for a year.
Back to top Go down
Renegade X

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:37 pm

To be honest if they were open and told me about their criminal past I would be more than willing to help them get a fresh start on my team. Maybe it would be something good for them and we could use the insight of a criminal to help look for signs of crime.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Gauge wrote:
If that was a requirement for doing crime patrols, Polarman, there would be far fewer rlsh. Most everyone can turn themselves around and do the right thing, with some exceptions of course. But I do agree that a background check is appropriate. I'd say a 5-10 year spam from the last criminal charge would show a change of character, or they just got better at nit getting caught. It's a judgment call.

I was convicted in 2004. Had nothing to do with my character, it was one of those one shot "oops" moments. It happens to people. As this very topic has come up when discussing our recruitment tactics, the basic decision is "on a case by case basis". With the exception of murderers, rapists and pedophiles.

We also have a probationary period of 4-6 months. Grims was accelerated to 2 months and he was officially inducted into the XJL recently because of his exemplary performance on the team. I really can't praise that guy enough.

But that's something you might want to consider too, when it gets to that point.

And being induted means getting a team patch. And he's gettinga badge! Even I don't have a badge!
Back to top Go down

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Ehh, you don't need no stinkin badge, UA.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:32 pm

No but its cool!
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:12 pm

UA, I was more or less referring to real criminals, not the petty one timers who screwed up as a teen by listening to a bad influence. I've seen some pretty bad guys turn their act around and make valuable contributions to society.
Back to top Go down

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:21 am

And now we could be discussing life course theory...we aren't of course...but we could be. #quellingtherantinstinct
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 am

Life course theory? Seriously? How on this or any other planet does life course theory factor in to stopping a mugger? Since you're an expert in it, i'm sure, why not enlighten us, Nemesis? Instead of complaining that we could be discussing it, why don't you just start discussing it?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:43 am

.....in another thread... please don't derail this.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:47 am

Thread started.
Back to top Go down

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:29 am

Stopping a mugger? I thought we were talking about recruiting? My post was in regards to the seriousness of past criminal activity in a team recruitment process, as was already touched on by Urban Avenger and Renegade X. I had every intention of staying on topic.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:53 am

As far as recruitment goes, I don't know if actually going about asking people if they want to join could be all that effective. The majority of people just seem to either have the mindset to become a RLSH beforehand or stumble upon it and take it upon themselves to join. Take this website, for example.

All you gotta do is get yourself on the paper or the news and the Reals come to you. Just look at Mr. Xtreme or Phoenix Jones.

As far as seperating the wheat from the chaff, you could look at the way other groups tend to recruit members outside of RLSHs. You could pull info from anything like law enforecement tactics and guardian angels to recruitment used by gangs and cults for simple reference. The sky's the limit.
Back to top Go down
Renegade X

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:52 am

JohnDoe wrote:
As far as recruitment goes, I don't know if actually going about asking people if they want to join could be all that effective. The majority of people just seem to either have the mindset to become a RLSH beforehand or stumble upon it and take it upon themselves to join. Take this website, for example.

All you gotta do is get yourself on the paper or the news and the Reals come to you. Just look at Mr. Xtreme or Phoenix Jones.

As far as seperating the wheat from the chaff, you could look at the way other groups tend to recruit members outside of RLSHs. You could pull info from anything like law enforecement tactics and guardian angels to recruitment used by gangs and cults for simple reference. The sky's the limit.

Thats really true and interesting. I actually have been looking into some local websites from community groups and have posted an ad for O.W.L. We've gotten people asking to join, but then they are never heard of again lol.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:19 am

Gauge wrote:
Very practical requests, EON. The reality however is that you are trusting people to watch your back on patrol, and maybe with your life, and full disclosure goes a long way toward building trust. Mind you, disclosure is a two-way street, so those you choose to accept should have your background as well. Fair is fair. Crime patrol is a commitment of time, and is done voluntarily. If it is made clear that team members will be expected to commit to a minimum number of patrol hours per week, and they agree to a patrol schedule, then I see no reason why pay, or any other provisions, should be expected.

I was just trying to say that if people expect to have the perks of being an employer, then they should expect the responsibilities, as well.

I think collaboration is more appropriate, personally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Recruiting Tips? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting Tips?   Recruiting Tips? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Recruiting Tips?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next