Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suggestions on how to do the splits

Go down 
+7
DarkShadow
Urban Avenger
Flora V. Arbor
E0N (Inactive)
adamm[]
JohnDoe
Blue Rattler
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Legacy, she claims all of those things you just mentioned. Of course everyone seems to be coming to the same conclusion, from everythkng I've ever heard or read stretching is supposed to help prevent muscles from being pulled or joints being hyperextended.
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Bottom line for me . . . stretching feels good. It's relaxing and I like to do it before I go to bed.

Flora, I'd really like to see you start a training journal here. I'm just curious what your workouts are like. Because to be honest, it sounds like much of the exercise and nutrition we talk about on this site is constantly blasted by you.

If we are so wrong, and you really want to help us, please post your training.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:23 pm

Don't you think that the biggity mods, who know my personal info,
would have shut me down by now if I was blowing crap?

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:24 pm

I am willing to give my info to UA
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
here is the shortest way I can figure to state what you want to know:

1. flexibility is limited by genetics
2. stretching does not prevent injuries
3. most spinal discs herniate backwards from accumulated damage

So, ask your self what muscles you are stretching and why and why are you skipping
over other muscles and what do you hope to gain by skipping over some?

The body needs these things for long-term, physical health maintenance:
1. safety
2. food
3. sleep
4. water ( inside and out )
5. cardio
6. strength

stretching will replace none of them.

Stretching does not give you a fever ( make you warmer- warm you up )
Stretching does not prevent injuries

Just go over this and think about doing splits.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Also, if I could give you splits, I would in a MINUTE and let you brag about me all the time.

I SURE would if I could.

I have sat on many a back, trying to give flexibility.

I think that RLSH are very special people.
That is why I type info to you-all for free.

If I could give you the secret of splits, I would
and all would be well

but, there is no secret
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:35 pm

Give me a year. I'll post a picture of me doing the side splits between two chairs.

The body's a pretty amazing thing. Don't underestimate it . . . or yourself.
Back to top Go down
Legacy

Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:35 pm

i like how you didnt even really do anything but repost your own post, and i suppose the reason no moderator has "shut you down" is since you dont go off on wild near-incoherent tangents like a recently banned member.

give your info to UA if you feel it's necessary, i never said you didnt have such credentials, just asked if you did.

i can also tell you stretching has helped me, i can put my palms flat on the ground when my heels are together, i couldnt do that 3 or 4 months ago
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 pm

I dont know your info.

Makes me wonder what you think of yoga.
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:

UA . . . you've just opened a can of worms. Just watch.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
I dont know your info.

ok this is the third time.
UA, if you PM me, I'll give you my info
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Blue Rattler wrote:
Give me a year. I'll post a picture of me doing the side splits between two chairs.

The body's a pretty amazing thing. Don't underestimate it . . . or yourself.

center splits is limited by the length of the femur neck.

I have been in dance classes since I was two
and worked on splits that long.

...never got center splits
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Legacy wrote:
i like how you didnt even really do anything but repost your own post, and i suppose the reason no moderator has "shut you down" is since you dont go off on wild near-incoherent tangents like a recently banned member.

give your info to UA if you feel it's necessary, i never said you didnt have such credentials, just asked if you did.

i can also tell you stretching has helped me, i can put my palms flat on the ground when my heels are together, i couldnt do that 3 or 4 months ago

Look at what the post said.

It's easy to see that I didn't make it up and am not going to gain anything by giving you that info
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Legacy wrote:

What health gains come from putting hands on the ground?

Did you consider stretching the opposite direction
or you were mono-focused?

What about arm flexibility?

Look at these questions /\ NOW, do you see why I worry?
Back to top Go down
Legacy

Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:51 pm

its not a health gain , just a personal goal to be more flexible.
my arms have nothing to do with it, the feeling of stretching i feel is behind the knees and back of legs

im not trying to be in gymnastics, so why would i try to stretch backwards ( the only thing opposite of that certain stretch)

and no, i dont see why you worry, im in the best shape of my life, i stretch before running, before lifting, before using my jumprope, even before going tin the back yard and playing with my dogs
Back to top Go down
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Fitness isn't rocket science. Funny how our ancestors living 1,000 years ago were healthier than we are now (yes, they didn't live as long, but I chalk that up to improvements in childbirth and sanitary engineering.

The sad thing is, too much information about fitness (as is the case here, well, cryptic information anyway . . . sorry Flora) often makes someone wanting to get into shape afraid to do anything.

So they end up doing nothing, which is the worst possible thing for them.

Flora doesn't see the point of stretching and flexibility. Fair enough. But thank you to the folks who did answer my initial question.
Back to top Go down
Legacy

Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:58 pm

good luck on getting flexible enough to do the splits, i believe in you friend
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Legacy wrote:
its not a health gain , just a personal goal to be more flexible.
my arms have nothing to do with it, the feeling of stretching i feel is behind the knees and back of legs

WHY ONLY ONE SPOT OUT OF 600 MUSCLES?

im not trying to be in gymnastics, so why would i try to stretch backwards ( the only thing opposite of that certain stretch)

SEE: NURSING HOME PEOPLE...ALL BENT FORWARD, NONE BACKWARDISH IN GOOD POSTURE

and no, i dont see why you worry, im in the best shape of my life, i stretch before running, before lifting, before using my jumprope, even before going tin the back yard and playing with my dogs

MY WORRY IS ALL ABOUT KEEPING YOU THERE

please see above in caps ( the limit of my tech-ability )
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Blue Rattler wrote:
Fitness isn't rocket science. Funny how our ancestors living 1,000 years ago were healthier than we are now (yes, they didn't live as long, but I chalk that up to improvements in childbirth and sanitary engineering.

The sad thing is, too much information about fitness (as is the case here, well, cryptic information anyway . . . sorry Flora) often makes someone wanting to get into shape afraid to do anything.

So they end up doing nothing, which is the worst possible thing for them.

Flora doesn't see the point of stretching and flexibility. Fair enough. But thank you to the folks who did answer my initial question.

Actually, fitness, as a profession, is stomping right into "medicine" and making doctors quiver
and, seriously, no.

People in the past were not healthier.

really really

I have so much to save about stretching that I barely can stop myself from going on and on and on and on.

bottom line: walk and pushups first, every thing else is extra
Back to top Go down
Legacy

Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:05 pm

flora i do more than 1 stretch, it was just an example

i dont post everything i do, even if i did you would probably just tell me i'm wrong anyways
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Legacy wrote:
flora i do more than 1 stretch, it was just an example

i dont post everything i do, even if i did you would probably just tell me i'm wrong anyways

Assuming is not your most graceful move.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Here is the most that I can offer on the subject of gaining "splits":

sit with both legs in front of you - straight knees.

This is the front leg position of "splits"

What most people need to achieve "splits" is
hip-flexor and quadricep stretches.

Lie on your stomach and lift your upper body up on one hand.
Bend one knee and with the other hand, grab the ankle of that leg.
Hold for one minute.

do the other leg.

repeat once or twice daily for six weeks.
Back to top Go down
Legacy

Legacy

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
Here is the most that I can offer on the subject of gaining "splits":

sit with both legs in front of you - straight knees.

This is the front leg position of "splits"

What most people need to achieve "splits" is
hip-flexor and quadricep stretches.

Lie on your stomach and lift your upper body up on one hand.
Bend one knee and with the other hand, grab the ankle of that leg.
Hold for one minute.

do the other leg.

repeat once or twice daily for six weeks.

was that so hard? thats what BR was asking just advice on how to be able to do the splits
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:17 pm

It is interesting that UA won't take me up on my offer.

It would clear things up but he is avoiding it.

UA, I am not going to ask for your info.

I am trusting in DG to police you
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:35 pm

If you want to send me something go for itm but im not going to beg for it. I think your words speak more thaj any supposed credentials.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions on how to do the splits   Suggestions on how to do the splits - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on how to do the splits
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next