Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brick and Mortar RLSH School

Go down 
+3
Gauge
Stephen Hannaway
Instructor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

Brick and Mortar RLSH School Empty
PostSubject: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:43 am

We were beginning to derail a good thread with this topic so I started a new one. What is needed to form a professional and reputable RLSH School?

For example insurance:

Well I don't know about a venture of this sort but most reputable martial arts insurance runs about $200 a month for million dollar coverage. Of course initial release and indemnity contracts protect a school from quite a bit as well. I knew a school that had to use the insurace too and it covered them.

Zimmer is the law guru, I bet he could really fill us in.

So we don't shanghai the thread I'll start a new one.
Back to top Go down
Stephen Hannaway

Stephen Hannaway

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:28 am

I like... no love the idea. But you're right we'd need expert advice.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Any curriculum for crime fighting RLSH should begin with the mental aspects of patrol. If the correct mental attitudes are not instilled, the true potential of an RLSH will not be fulfilled. For instance, why would you want to continue training a person who shows no compassion toward the people he's helping, or a penchant to beat the snot out of bad guys just because its fun?

I'm not suggesting do ALL mental training before the physical starts. The mental and physical should take place largely concurrently. Training solely mental aspects can be more demanding than training solely physical ones, and students who place highr importance on physical training will abandon the program if there is no forward progress in physical areas.

So balance is the key, but starting with the mental aspects will give you a look into the trainees' personality. Who is impatient? Who picks up on theories and strategies, etc.? Who has the most potential for leadership roles? Once the physical training begins, they can start applying mental training in their scenario based training exercises. They can evolve into a well balanced RLSH who can make responsible choices under stressful situations.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Does this thing even need to be brick and mortar? I mean I am able to teach Hapkido through a website, Perhaps we could also make it an online learning institution. Not just an informative website but a site with actual training and tests, certifications etc.
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:49 pm

There's a guy tryin to start his own superhero school on the .ord he plans on having it up and running at somepoint next year. Already has the land and everything.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Huh.. well as King Soloman said, nothing new under the sun. Too bad he isn't on here to join the discussion. I would be interested in his ideas.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:07 pm

I'd be interested in this as well.
Back to top Go down
Zombie

Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Ill let him know, maybe he can make and acount and you guys and colaberate.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:15 pm

There has been talk of this for years. Often it takes the form of legitimate seminars, but usually there is a "secret bootcamp" scam that circulates around.

There would be no use for a brick and mortar school with insurance. Each RLSH should train at a regularly available fight/martial arts school in their area. As for the mental aspect of things, people with an incompatible mindset wouldn't care about attending the school anyway.. sadly the community runs a very high rate of mentally and emotionally disturbed individuals.

Never even consider trusting someone who doesn't have a public identity, and who doesn't have actual teaching certification. People like Dark Guardian, who has years of experience in the training field, has been specifically taught how to teach students with consideration to safety and practicality. I can't begin to tell you how many "heroes" have "trained" others only to end in disaster because they were full-blown liars. If the instructor can't prove they're legit (and ALL good instructors are happy to show you their qualifications) then run.. run as fast and far away from them as you can.

Now my buddy Peter Steeves (who is developing the new training program for the entire world-wide Guardian Angels) is actually more than willing to train RLSH in defensive tactics, handcuffing, and other physical skills, along with relevant legal and practical patrol knowledge. From time to time he lets me know if he'll be in locations outside LA, such as Boston, or NYC.

Dark Guardian and I have worked on and off on the idea of a one or two day seminar and training program, covering things from basic first aid, to hands on demonstrations. Participants would receive actual official certification through organizations such as the Red Cross, etc. I understand that the Initiative is developing a program of their own.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:17 pm

I hadn't heard of this con before now, but I guess it's not too surprising.

I'm not against the concept of training others to do crime patrolling, and certainly not against doing so in a controlled environment, where each prospective patroller gets uniform training. I do agree that anyone hoping to instruct parties who seek out training should be well regarded and freely forthcoming with credentials.

That said, although my identity is not public, I have trained many crime patrollers, and have trained many others others to train crime patrollers. Training someone to patrol is tougher than training to patrol. Training someone to train others isn't much fun either.

As to the mental training, I strongly advocate for mental conditioning. As Silver Sentinel rightly says, some people will have incompatible mental states for patrolling. This doesn't always mean they cannot develop productive states, and does not mean they won't apply just for the perceived fun of being a superhero. Mental training is a screening process before the real work begins, and can be a real time saver when you excuse those who lack the patience or ability to learn new ways.

The biggest barrier to learning in my experience has been arrogance. A person either thinks they're smarter, knows they're smarter, or is in fact -- without boasting -- smarter than the instructor. They think they can use logic and reason to discern what those before them have learned through firsthand experience. We know better.

Back to top Go down
Superman

Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:22 pm

If you all want an on line school here you go all set up and move in ready [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] We were going good for a while untill interest died off. As you look at the setup you'll see I had respected members of the RLSH community as instructors. As everyone has their own way of doing things I never told them how or what to teach just gave them a place to do it. Some so called heroes have rthe atention span of a gnat and flit from shiny object to shiny object never getting anything of substance done. Sadly many don't do any more than post on boards on how great they are or are going to become. To me this isn't some sort of fanboy RPG fantasy. I take it with the seriousness that it deserves. Now the 1 thing about my on line school that may give it an edge is it sits on my server . That means it will be staying put and not go poof like the heroes network board did. You dont want to work building up a school or anything else on line for that matter just to have all your hard work go to waste. Once you take it over(should you decide to do so) just let me know of any changes or additions you need to have done. I will hapily do therm in the interest of common cause and like all sites I presently support on my server its free. Free and with Tech support should solve any hassles you will have with an on line school.

I will be looking forward to your responses.

Superman
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:07 pm

While this may be a good idea in theory, it's already kind of obsolete as most RLSH (Like police academies) are usuLly relevant to thrur locales. So while you may think certain training may be relevant to RLSH (like free running) is useful for some it isn't to others. If you had a camp in major cities. Maybe. But also keep in mind laws are different in some areas so even training with certain weapons (pepper spray, stun guns) is also relative, as not everyone can carry them. You also have to consider the logistics of travel, room and board. Its not cheap. So who would even be able to attend such a facility?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Bruce Wayne
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brick and Mortar RLSH School   Brick and Mortar RLSH School Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Brick and Mortar RLSH School
Page 1 of 1