Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thoughts on learning martial arts online?

Go down 
+6
hiddensparrow
Instructor
Flora V. Arbor
Superman
El Zorzal
Nintyplayer
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Nintyplayer

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:20 am

I've been considering starting Tai Chi, but don't have the funds to pay for a school in real life. A lot of videos are online that guide you through each step -- is this a reliable way to learn Tai Chi (or any martial art, for that matter), or is it too precise to learn without corrections from a teacher?
Back to top Go down
El Zorzal

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:14 pm

I think it is always better when you train under a teachers guidance
Back to top Go down
Superman

Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:21 pm

It would be better if you could arrange some sort of barter deal with your instructor to help defray expenses. Learning any martial art without an instructor is kind of like learning to drive without ever operating a vehicle. Afraid it’s wax on wax off time Daniel San.

Superman
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 am

TaiChi happens to be the only martial art that can be learned on-line.

Once you learn, learn to apply it later
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
TaiChi happens to be the only martial art that can be learned on-line.

Once you learn, learn to apply it later

I disagree, for obvious reasons. tongue
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Do not let the perfect get in the way of the good.
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:16 am

Nice link..
Back to top Go down
Defie

Defie

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Sun May 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Nintyplayer wrote:
I've been considering starting Tai Chi, but don't have the funds to pay for a school in real life. A lot of videos are online that guide you through each step -- is this a reliable way to learn Tai Chi (or any martial art, for that matter), or is it too precise to learn without corrections from a teacher?
I used to be an instructor of Chen style Taijichuan for about a year. Every two weeks a student would go to my Sifu to show what they've learned, and they would make corrections where necessary, spar, and we would go about our business. The reason we did it this way was because my Sifu didn't own a building, and because we all had lives to live. Wink

It's not impossible to learn Taiji without an instructor, but it's more difficult without one. It's hard to know what you're doing wrong unless there is someone around to tell you. That being said, it's far from impossible if you're open minded.

I would put more emphasis on finding sparring partners. It doesn't matter what kind of instruction you get if it doesn't work against a live resisting opponent. Combat in self defense, like any other physical activity is something you learn by doing. You never saw a Olympic runner who never ran, or a championship swimmer who never touched water, right? You won't know how to fight unless you've fought, so get some sparring partners.

Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Sun May 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Get in shape. A lot of training is free and can be done without instructor. You can train MA when you can afford it.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Sun May 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Defie touches on an important point, and that is to have sparring partners. Learning a martial art online is easier if you train with a friend (if you can't spar with a trained opponent). You would like your form to be perfect, but the more important aspect in this case is building confidence in your ability. Find a friend who will be honest with you about your progress. You don't want to try to patrol unless you are confident you are competent in your style. Enter a tournament to test what you've learned.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Mon May 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Some community centers have free or incredibly cheap martial arts classes.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 pm

Professors Wally Jay and Toru Tanaka were guest instructors at the YMCA when I was a teenager.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on learning martial arts online?   Thoughts on learning martial arts online? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on learning martial arts online?
Page 1 of 1