Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?

Go down 
+48
Basilisk
GreyWolf
themarine
Kenpo1
The Peace
Taijibum
whitewing
Dr Z
Bat-Hawk
JohnP
blueguardian
Delta_RLSH
Loco
New Here
qshot789
Anyman
ProfessorProletariat
Shadow Cat
nightmare
arrowdynamic
Providence (The Brave One
Dark Inferno
Archimedes
Wolfe
Rook
Nintyplayer
Amphiptere
Prof. Midnight
Cassiopeia
The Reverend
firelight
Equal
Bandit
Vagabond
Vulpo
Stephen Hannaway
rennora phoenix
Havoc
Polarman
Amazonia
Urban Avenger
JCElite
Gauge
Flora V. Arbor
hiddensparrow
Jack Shadow
Instructor
Blue Rattler
52 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Blue Rattler

Blue Rattler

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Empty
PostSubject: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:27 am

I was curious what martial arts you all have (or do) practice?

Tae Kwon Do and boxing here.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 am

Well I've dabbled in a number of things but the core of my training is Hapkido, i've been at it since 1991. I respect them all but I love Hapkido, it brings me joy.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am

I started out in wrestling, moved to Tang Soo Do, then boxing, a little krav, then some Kali and escrima. I also tried out Irish stick fighting a few years ago, since I like walking sticks.
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 am

Greetings,

I was first introduced to Tae Kwon Do when I was in my late childhood-early teens.

I still remember some of the training, but never had the patience at that point to go past "green stripe" (my sensei Master Kou felt that the stripe system worked best).

I didn't touch martial arts for a while until a couple of decades later that I decided to take up the art of the "Chivalrous Sword".

My 1hr classes in European Broadsword handling each week happened to be combined with an hour of Kenjutsu.

This went on for a year and then because I wasn't able to find the funds to maintain my training, I stuck around with the Guild and continued my learning by proxy from "attending" the classes on the sidelines as well as discussing the form with my colleagues and attending various Guild-related events.

I also managed to learn by proxy basic concepts of a variety of other styles that everyone else in my guild had learned (or was learning) on their own.

One of these included Kendo. Another was Aikido/Iaido.

Through some random luck of events, I was able to attend some classes here and there since and allow the style to solidify some more in permanent memory.

Since then, Life took over and even though (to my current knowledge) I am still considered "part of the family", it has been a while that I have properly attended the classes.

I am told that the form has evolved a great deal by this point from the time I had begun - and semi-continued my "training". So, I look forward with much enthusiasm to being able to go back with a fresh new perspective and re-learn the Art at some point in the near future. cat \/

During my time of exploration (while I was still in my early days of regularly attending Guild events and classes), I took up training in Taijiquan (before the school got closed down) and then much later on, Eskrima.

Since then, I have looked into the possibility of taking up Qigong and somehow finding a way to reboot my training in Tai Chi.

In my last interview for this new job I am going for, I happened to run into another local Tai Chi instructor. My training was in Sun style, but his was the Yang style (iirc).

Either way, I am thankful to have learned quite a bit about a variety of MA's in my day.

Though I am not mastered in any of them, I am confident in knowing that I have a fairly good feel of the theory behind them all.

By the way, as mentioned in my profile, I am able to provide valid references to anyone who is interested in knowing, though the Tai Chi one might be a bit difficult, it won't be fully impossible.

All the best and know that it is a pleasure to meet some more practitioners here.

I look forward to meeting....and hopefully training or practicing with you all at some point,

~HS.
Back to top Go down
Instructor

Instructor

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:54 pm

Quote :
Though I am not mastered in any of them, I am confident in knowing that I have a fairly good feel of the theory behind them all.

It is best to think that always regardless of how much you've learned. After all these years I go into each practice expecting to learn something new.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Kenpo, Tai quak do, Shotokan, Escrima, Tai Chi, Hwa Rang Do.

I like Nunchaka, Long Staff and Tonfa and hat pins.

When Cardiodorkboxing, ( sorry! ) CardioKickBoxing came along,

I was exciting until I saw it.

"Lift your elbow so that you can get smacked in the underarm, stick out your little finger when you punch so that your hand can break,

hop side to side with your legs apart so that you can

get kickoed in the groino and breathe and punch and breathe and punch and breathe and hop hop hop"

(snark).

I ended up writing my own.

It's been 12 years now.

I actually have a viable product.

Now, i need to find the money to get it podcastable
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
Kenpo, Tai quak do, Shotokan, Escrima, Tai Chi, Hwa Rang Do.

I ended up writing my own.

It's been 12 years now.

I actually have a viable product.

Now, i need to find the money to get it podcastable

Awesome! I most definitely look forward to checking out your work! \m/ Smile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:04 pm

here is a little bit of my Gladiator workout.

I did no "warm-up" as so, suck air

Video 1 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Video 2 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Video 3 - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:46 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:

Thank you so much!!

**bookmarks them & adds them to her workout playlist**

Cheers! Smile \m/

~HS.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 am

hiddensparrow wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

Thank you so much!!

**bookmarks them & adds them to her workout playlist**

Cheers! Smile \m/

~HS.

shayshay

see if you can keep up with a 52 year old

Wink
Back to top Go down
hiddensparrow

hiddensparrow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 am

Hahaha!

I'm sure I cannot right now...but I will try! ^_~+ \m/

I'm also looking into going with this routine as well:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm an active cyclist too, so I am due to hopefully have some badass calves by summer, too. Smile \m/

Cheers!

~HS.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 am

good stuff.

The three links are my version of the Sparta-thingy.

I won't do side squats and touch the weight to the floor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:18 am

@Blue Rattler: I personally incorporate a blend of Krav Maga and Pressure Point Combat.

I have learned various techniques from other martial arts but primarily those two because they're the most practical and comfortable for me; Krav Maga is geared more towards Real World Self Defense, and Pressure Point Combat is a humane way of immobilizing an assailant without hurting them awfully bad; also, it is almost never seen as "excessive force" in a court of law.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:01 am

Welcome back 204, Bellator, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks; Zed changed my username not me, lol XD (There's a twist) but yeah I'm just gonna use this name; maybe later down the road I'll be able to think of a comfortable code name that suits me.
Back to top Go down
JCElite

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:10 am

I have trained in a total of six different martial arts: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, Jiu Jitsu, Judo, and Wrestling. Combining all these makes me a very good all around fighter. I find that Kenpo offers great training for a street fight should I go up against someone I cant handle or get caught in a hold I cant escape and wouldnt be able to defend myself by fighting fair as Kenpo encourages groin shots, biting etc... However I find alot of the striking techniques that I was taught did not help very much. My Muay Thai training made up for that as its boxing techniques are as good as any martial art and when I combine Muay Thai kicks with Kenpo kicks it makes it that much more advantageous. BJJ is my primary ground fighting style which is where, along with Jiu Jitsu, I use all my submissions. I tend to use Wrestling to take down and control someone. Lastly I use my Judo knowledge for throws and I will occasionally combine it with Wrestling for throws and slams. Thats pretty much it, I find that using all these has proven to give me a very effective style which covers all areas of fighting.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 am

I think that wrestlers are tough to fight. they know a lot of tested techniques
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:05 am

I've learned a little juijitsu, boxing and mostly kenpo.
Back to top Go down
Amazonia

Amazonia

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:12 pm

A mix of self defense and karate. Looking to join the local boxing gym down the street. Not much else here, mostly I just use what I've learned and then fight the way I have to to keep myself and others safe.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:14 pm

and escrima!!!
Back to top Go down
Amazonia

Amazonia

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:47 am

Flora, yes that is thanks to you. I wouldn't put it that I have mastery over that yet.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:53 pm

...thanks to my teachers!

It's more a neural-learning from repetition than anything else
Back to top Go down
Amazonia

Amazonia

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes I have found that to be the case. I've picked up what you sent me, but I feel I have a long way to go. Thank you very much Flora. Smile

Someday we have to get together and workout. I have to see if I can keep up with you.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Ive taken Karate Lessons in my early teens I use it while clearing snow and ice mostly to keep in shape however Dont make me angry You wouldnt like me when Im angry
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:19 pm

Amazonia wrote:
Yes I have found that to be the case. I've picked up what you sent me, but I feel I have a long way to go. Thank you very much Flora. Smile

Someday we have to get together and workout. I have to see if I can keep up with you.

SmileSmileSmile

You are one person who I think could!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?   What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What kind of martial arts have (or do) you practice?
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next