Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Getting started, need some advice?

Go down 
+7
themarine
Ace
GreyWolf
Anyman
Gauge
Phantom Hawk
Alpha Dog
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:26 pm

No no no no no, I should no, shooting to disarm is quick and simple, if you have good aim and training, then shooting their arm, or even somewhere on their stomach that doesnt fatally wound them, is fairly easy. Now if he were shooting a bunch of opeople while moving around, then I'll just shoot him, cause in that situation it is to slow to think about which part of him your going to shoot even if its his head or chest, in that situation you shoot him, any part, as fast as possible to stop the body count, but if your in a siutation where hes about to shoot someone, quickly aiming at someone, doesnt take much mental speed. Again I should know because I've been in that situation, its almost like an instinct or reflex, its not something you simply think about, its something you just do. Now yes again if hes moving around going crazy you cant aim, meaning you cant aim for his head or chest, you jsut have to shoot and hope that stops or immobilizes him. Whether it kills him, if it stops him from killing others, than yes its acceptable, but if hes not moving aorund going crazy, and you know you have a good aim, taking the shot to immoblize wouldnt be at all difficult, thought thats only if you've trained, and have good aiming.
Back to top Go down
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:26 pm

*know
Back to top Go down
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:28 pm

And yes if all other means have failed, and theirs no way to stop them except by killing them, then yes shooting them in the head or chest would work, but if you have a way to stop him, and hes not currently harming anyone, simply shooting him where it may disable him wouldnt be any harder than shooting him in the head. Considering the arm is longer then the head, it'd be easier to shoot the arm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:58 pm

The chest is an easy target than an arm or wrist. The head is also fairly easy to hit in comparison, and they are the two targets that stay in the same general area as opposed to hands and arms and legs which are probably going to be moving around more than the chest and head/face.

Glad to see we agree on what to do when a psychotpath is shooting people at random, but for me, any time someone is threatening the lives of others with a firearm puts me in fear for my life and those around me and if I have a gun I am putting him down. An arm or a leg won't put down everyone. Two to the chest stop most people, but one to the head stops everyone with few rare exceptions, the only one I know of being my grandmother. Well, she was stopped alright but she lived. Afterwards I'd perform immediate first aid and have law enforcement and paramedics enroute asap; chances are he won't die; if he does, oh well; he shouldn't have been shooting people in the street and threatening my life with a firearm.

To each their own; it all truly depends on the situation; there is no finite cookie cutter approach to shooting bad guys.
Back to top Go down
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:11 pm

True and first aid can help keep them alive, though on comparison to the head, the arm is still generally an easier target of your at close range, at far then yes the head is easier.  But yes, usually im not going to shoot to kill unless ots the only means necassary,  but if their are other ways and they keep everyone protected, then ill use those methods first
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:17 pm

Ah, you see; right there is something I tried but failed to communicate. You shouldn't shoot them unless it's necessary to kill them. Saves you some legal trouble too; in some places monsters can sue the pants off of you for maiming them with a firearm; they can't sue you if they're dead; and if you do shoot someone (assuming as mentioned it's become necessary to put them down) you better be darn sure that you had to do it and be sure that the majority of decent human beings would agree with your decision. Until you gotta make that decision; don't shoot them; a lot of times drawing the gun will end a potentially violent encounter before it has a chance to begin.

Always keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot; that way if you're feeling jumpy you don't accidently destroy something or kill someone when your startled. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:19 pm

I suggest a good amount of body armor and a ballistic backpack as well; the more protection you have the better, and a real gun is good protection when crazy strikes. Crap....I may be confusing you with someone else for a minute; you're not the bb gun dude right? XD
Back to top Go down
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:50 pm

No thats titan XD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:40 am

Ah, that's right. XD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:40 am

Two gun convos going on at the same time lol.
Back to top Go down
themarine

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:37 pm

I have to jump in here and say that shooting to disarm or wound a person is both dangerous and irresponsible.  I'm a Firearms dealer, gunsmith, and instructor as well as former active duty Marine Infantry combat vet.  Those are my credentials so decide for yourself if the following has any merit.  Shooting to disarm or disable a person means you are intentionally aiming away from center mass which means your chances of missing are even greater, you can be a crack shot on the range but with the adrenalin pumping through your veins in a real situation you but others at risk taking a shot like that.  Also as far as legal purposes go deadly force is deadly force and a gun is always deadly force no matter how it is used.  Just drawing a firearm is considered elevation to deadly force.  It doesn't matter if your intention was to wound or disarm it's deadly force.  Have I shot someone in the arm before? yes but it was because I missed their chest.  The main point that I'm stressing is if you don't feel confident in taking a shot because of distance or conditions or because you don't have the confidence level yet with your training then don't draw your weapon or don't carry one until you are comfortable enough with it.
Back to top Go down
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Im not saying I draw out my weapon every time i get into a situation, the only time i draw my fire arm is if it's absolutely necessary. And again, I've been in the situation before, if your trained, and at a reasonable distance, then firing at their arm and disarming them isn't a challenge, again though that's only if your trained, if not, carrying a fire arm may not be the best thing for you till you are. Mainly cause you put others at risk, including yourself. Not saying that theirs never going to be a time where you may have to kill someone, what I'm saying is if theirs anyway to keep everyone alive, and I'm confident that it will work, then i will take that way. Now yes you can still shoot them in the chest, and then perform first aid to keep them alive until authorities arrive, that is also one way of keeping everyone safe, just as shooting their arm and disarming them is also a safe way to keep everyone alive. Yes yo ucould shoot another part of the body aswell, if it causes them enoug pain within that instance, it can cause them to drop their weapon.
Back to top Go down
themarine

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:13 pm

I cannot gauge your skills and competence but will trust that what you say is true and if you are comfortable taking those kinds of shots and they are feasible than by all means do what you will if necessary.  What caliber to you carry?  I ask because another factor I would worry about in that situation is over-penetration,  the leg is a meaty limb but arms are less so even a shot to the bone does not guarantee the bullet will stop.  Stray bullets are as much a danger to others as the hypothetical gunman in this scenario.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:32 pm

You need hollow point expanding ammunition. I'd reccomend using a 1911 Remington Handgun. I have one but I need to buy a new one, left handed shooter (my current is right handed).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Compensated preferably, with strobe light and laser.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Maybe a silencer depending on local laws; the reverberation of firing a gun in some places can be intense unless it's silenced.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Also helps if you live in an urban setting and don't wish to annoy the neighborhood with your target practice in the backyard, though with a silencer you can practice indoors just as well.
Back to top Go down
themarine

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:42 pm

don't buy a new 1911 it's an easy and inexpensive modification to make it an ambidextrous safety, hollow point is a good option but look into frangible ammunition, sometimes cloth or heavy clothing will impede expansion and then result in over-penetration
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks for the info. Smile
Back to top Go down
themarine

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:04 pm

suppressors are nice, but if you are not going to use one when you carry you should probably not train with one getting used to the report of the firearm is important and it does alter the ballistics of the projectile in that it actually slows the bullet, it doesn't cause a noticeable difference at short ranges but longer ranges you will notice some bullet drop and will be shooting lower than you are used to.  Also if you don't feel comfortable installing after market parts on your pistol yourself any competent gunsmith should be able to alter a 1911 to an ambidextrous model.  So just look around for a local reputable gunsmith with experience with the 1911 and you should be good to go, if you are comfortable working on your own pistol it's a very easy modification.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Huh, my dad probably, he does a lot of his own stuff and is former military.
Back to top Go down
themarine

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:23 pm

that's a good call I always encourage people to take on as much of the repair and maintenance of their firearms as they can.  You can never be to familiar with something that your life or the life of someone else may depend on.  Nothing pisses me off more than when someone brings in a firearm for repair that is broken due to neglect.
Back to top Go down
@$$ hole

@$$ hole

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: The Green Dash   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:28 am

i am new to this site, but i have been a vigilante for over a year now, and i recommend always knowing self defense, been well equipped, i usually have my stunt knuckles, stunt stick and have a metal police baton, as for range weapons i have a dart tranquilizer gun. i also recommend practicing some sort of martial arts discipline everyday, there is not a day i go without training.. and well mainly have balls to do whats right and stop whats bad. no fear of getting shot at, punched at, pulling a knife on you. got to be prepared for whatever occasion you throw at yourself that night.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:18 pm

You obviously have never been shot at. This is what I call the "Punisher" mentality. It is admirable that you want to fight injustice, but it sounds like you mainly want to fight bad guys rather than protect victims. You also display an arrogance that will get you killed. I've seen young guys with similar attitudes, and if you have actually fought crime for a year with this outlook, it is amazing you're not dead. My guess is that you've not been in many actual fights outside of training, and have never been shot at or even had a gun pointed at you. Or you're just posturing.
Back to top Go down
@$$ hole

@$$ hole

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:25 pm

lol try living in a third world country were there is nothing but crime and come to a place like where i live now and see that you easily can make a difference by just taking out main drug dealers in the area. i dont preach to others and i just do whatever i think is right. were i come from getting a gun pointed at your head and waking up to gunshots and neighbors crying is just part of your regular day...

some people hand and walk around dressed saying they have a purpose but all they do is just call 911 and stand around with their dick in their hands...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting started, need some advice?   Getting started, need some advice? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Getting started, need some advice?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next