Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

bravery and courage

Go down 
+12
Anyman
Equal
arrowdynamic
The Black Stampede
Shade
DarkShadow
The White Power
The Great Pumpkin
dcguardian
Maverick
Gauge
nightmare
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

bravery and courage Empty
PostSubject: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:21 pm

How do you overcome the fear of patrolling outside and become brave fighting crime? That is the only problem I got
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 pm

You do that by training, which builds confidence through knowing you can handle increasing levels of danger. This doesn't mean you can't fail, just that you have skills to cope when the crap hits the fan.
Back to top Go down
Maverick

Maverick

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Depends what you are afraid of. I am afraid of criminals not being afraid. So I try to change that.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:47 pm

Criminals will not be afraid of you. That is a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:50 pm

bravery is not. . .not being afraid. . .it's going in anyway. . .training and knowing what you're doing will not make you brave. . .it will  help you when you decide to act. . .but those that survive are afraid. . .they are scared and they will cry like a baby when all is said and done. . .being a man and being brave does not mean you are fearless. . .accept the fact that there will be times you are afraid. . .the real test is are you going to act or not. . .
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:50 pm

what about idiots who wants to fight you? And what if they hit back by calling more backup? Was it possible to defeat all them?
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:51 pm

nice one dcguardian, that's deep but it does inspired me to become brave.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 pm

first. . .leaders of all stripes read. . .bio's. . .history. . .strategy. . .having said that. . .read some bios of medal of honor recipients. . .read it from their own hands. . .they all almost unanimously state they were afraid. . .they didn't know what to do. . .they just knew they needed to do something. . .being brave got others killed. . .or put others in jeopardy. . .learn. . .study. . .train. . .but understand there will be fights you can't win. . .some you have to walk away from. . .
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:20 pm

"They will cry like a baby,"? Not necessarily, but crying is common enough when one survives a life threatening experience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:30 am

I've been through hell and back; I'm not scared of getting beat up; I don't patrol because I have C-PTSD and might reflexively kill someone by accident.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:34 am

As you get older you'll experience new things and not be scared of things you once were. If you're scared it means that you're not ready; body's warning system to snap us out of doing something stupid. Get more training and experience. Once you're fully confident in your ability to handle a situation is when you should consider entering into it.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:34 am

Have you ever accidentally killed someone before? I thought you didn't patrol because you think its ineffective?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:40 am

My dad almost. He thought it'd be funny to say boo as I was opening the bathroom door to leave and I punched him in the temple with by pointer knuckle; he reered back and braced himself on the counter and was silent for a moment; I was petrified, my hands over my mouth; my arm just flew up automatically. He recovered and said with a scrunched smile "Good reaction!" as he gave me a thumbs up. I isolate in my room for the next week; I could have easily have killed my own father.

I don't recall saying patroling was ineffective I said it's stupid and dangerous, which it is.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:36 am

Yet the reason you give for not patrolling isn't that it is stupid and dangerous, but because you might accidentally kill someone. Since you have demonstrated that you might kill someone anyway (which it doesn't really sound like you came even a little close) patrolling may not be for you. I have been at it for 25 years, however, so my perspective is quite different.
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:35 am

wow. I wanna have C-PTSD. How do catch one? Thanks for those tips. I'm going to need it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:08 pm

Complex Posttraumatic Stress Disorder is a bitch; you don't want it unless you enjoy having flashbacks, night terrors, panic attacks, halucinations and dissociative identities. If that sounds like your cup o tea then you can get it by becoming a POW for years on end (Prisoner Of War).

@Gauge. It's one of the reasons; I can have multiple reasons for disagreements and usually do because I think a lot and am scared of forming beliefs, patroling is stupid because 90% of the time nothing happens thus wasting even more time that could have been spent making money, developing new skills, and actually securing an objective in its entirety; legitimately accomplishing something. Say you patrol every night for three hours for one week and nothing happened, that's an entire day of doing virtually nothing. Add up the hours of every uneventful patrol of yours over the last two and a half decades, your eyes just might pop out of your head when you how much time you've wasted.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Patroling is dangerous because 10% of the time something does happen and people get hurt or killed. All the people you've "saved" could have just as easily been in the same place and the same situation the following night when you weren't there to play babysitter.

I'm more of an advocate of Missions, not Patrols. I'll patrol when I'm being hired and paid to, but on my own time I prefer accomplishing things and using my time wisely. This is probably my only life I'll get, I sure as hell don't want to waste years of it away walking through crummy parts of town hoping for something bad to happen, especially when there's worse shit going on that implicates the future of humanity, a goal that can actually be accomplished, a war that has an end in sight. To each their own and carpe diem.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:41 pm

What if, however, BECAUSE you patrolled and someone saw you, they decided not to committ the mugging they were about to, or go beat up someone for fear of intervention or witnesses. Just because you see no action doesn't mean your patrol had no impact. Presence alone can be a deferment.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:45 pm

You have just stated that your estimate of 10% of the time something will happen, and that 100% of that 10% someone will be hurt, and that is as baseless as your estimate is to begin with. The amount of crime you encounter will vary with where you patrol, and encounters don't have to end with injury. You are catastrophising.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:00 pm

I never said a 100%, you read into that too much. I'm not catastrophjsing, I'm sharing my opinion and my reasoning for it. We can say "What ifs" and split hairs forever, the bottom line is that I feel patroling for crime is stupid and dangerous and time could be better spent, it's an opinion of mine.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:30 pm

"Patrolling is dangerous because 10% of the time something does happen and people get hurt or killed,"

Your words, not mine. You are saying that encounters happen 10% of the time, and that the entire ten percent leads to injury or death. Perhaps that's not what you meant, but it's what you said.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:18 am

Not what I meant. People still get hurt and killed. Usually in situations that RLSH seek out. I think it's stupid to go looking for trouble; it doesn't take a genius to know looking for trouble is a bad idea; I'd like to think most kids were taught that growing up. But see; I' have no issues if they were being paid to do it; then every uneventful patrol isn't a total waste of time. I dunno; I ma not be explaining it effectivelo; makes perfect sense to me; looking for trouble is stupid.
Back to top Go down
nightmare

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:51 am

Nope we're not. I do patrol missions because most of our tanods does not patrol our streets
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:25 am

stupid and ineffective unless you get paid for it. Well, I do get paid for it, so by your theory I must be effective. But in my 25 years of experience, I have yet so see a patrol that was a waste of time. Even from the RLSH here who do so voluntarily. And its only stupid if you go into it expecting a comic book adventure and with insufficient training and preparation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:03 pm

Okay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bravery and courage   bravery and courage Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

bravery and courage
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Real Life Superheroes - The Forum :: General Information :: Training & Preparation-
Jump to: