Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Martial Arts For Fighting Crime

Go down 
+6
Anyman
Blue Stranger
dcguardian
Equal
The Black Stampede
Snowman
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Empty
PostSubject: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm happy with my martial arts training which includes karate and jujitsu. But what about you, what should you take?

If your only use for martial arts is to fight criminals (an unwise decision to be sure) then you will need specific training.

Most hand to hand methods of fighting teach you to fight other people who are ... Unarmed!

while a wide variety of attackers will not be unarmed, being skilled in unarmed combat does has benefits...
for example, simple assaults (without weapons) do happen often (especially outside of bars) and skill in unarmed combat will help you with this.

For armed attackers however, you will need different training. Knives can be blocked and trained for but are very dangerous. Only certain training programs like Krav Maga and marine core martial arts programs deal in depth with how to deal with knives. My thoughts on knives is to wear thick clothing (or armor for those who are into that) and try to single out the hand holding the knife and take it away, or if possible, grab a sizable rock and then fight with the principles taught to me in other arts.
Doing things like running away can be dangerous to other citizens and yourself if you are slow, carrying a gun can be illegal in many countries and states. Martial arts are really your only defence in this case.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:12 pm

Many martial arts have knife defense techniques, but you are likely to get slashed when fighting a knife wielding opponent. Its not accurate to say only certain arts teach knife defense, because more do than don't. That said, if someone pulls a knife and I can grad their arm, I guarantee I will not be grabbing the knife. I'll be fracturing their wrist so they can't grab another weapon with it.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Don't think martial arts, think violence. Martial arts is only a way to learn violence, and most teachers have little or no first-hand experience on it. It's mostly learning to hurt others, building strenght, speed, stamina and body control. If you train with weapons, you'll not only figure out how to use it against others, but also how it can be used against you. And you need to stay in shape. It's not something you learn, it's something you maintain.

The general idea is that if somebody got a weapon, he got an advantage. That is the usually the universe telling you to run. Buy, if the guy is totally out of shape and moves like he got a stick up his ass, you can some times kick his ass anyways. Even a starved junkie can be quite dangerous if he's on the right drugs.

My point: there is a lot more into fighting than kicking in pajamas.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:59 pm

I would never kick at a knife, and certainly not in my pajamas. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:02 pm

But martial arts traces control and discipline too. It helps you defend yourself without having to use lethal force. You learn to control the level of force, and not lose yourself in the rush of adrenaline.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:02 pm

*teaches
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:08 pm

let me tell you, it is hecka hard to throw anything higher than a leg kick in jeans. Track pants, sure, but most people wear jeans nowadays. Trying to throw a decent roundhouse to the body with jeans on is sure to split your pants.

that said, the principle and skills you will learn in a martial arts class will put you ahead of somebody who has not trained martial arts in a physical confrontation.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
heres an example showing that martial arts skill can help you beat even an Olympic level weightlifter.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 am

That match was not a street fight. It was a highly controlled experiment. The two opponents were not evenly matched, with the advantage going to the stronger man. The match as it was did and perhaps appropriately ended in a draw.

I don't know where you buy your jeans, but I can kick head high in mine, and I'm 6'4".
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:46 am

That weight lifter is strong, fit and agile. Don't underestimate weight lifting. That's a martial art as well.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Gauge wrote:
That match was not a street fight. It was a highly controlled experiment. The two opponents were not evenly matched, with the advantage going to the stronger man. The match as it was did and perhaps appropriately ended in a draw.

I don't know where you buy your jeans, but I can kick head high in mine, and I'm 6'4".
it wasn't a tie, the big guy tapped out because he was being choked and couldn't breathe.

you must wear the world's loosest jeans. 
I don't like tight jeans, and my inability to kick high has nothing to do with my flexibility, my pants tighten up the higher my legs get to the point where at waist height they restrict any further movement.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Equal wrote:
That weight lifter is strong, fit and agile. Don't underestimate weight lifting. That's a martial art as well.
well, I wouldn't say that.
Strength will certainly help you in many things, including fighting, but it certainly doesn't teach you how to fight.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:14 am

It teach how to use you body effective to maximize energy output, coordination, balance and breath. Cut the philosophy and get your ass in shape.

You'd be surprised how many traditional olympic sports that's martial in origin. The greek were basicly contesting their martial talents during the ancient games.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:16 pm

i like to think of it like sharpening a sword.
Martial arts can be the sword or strength can be the sword...
but I like to think of martial arts as being the sword because it gives you the weapons you need.
A blunt sword can hurt but if you sharpen it, like working your strength, speed and endurance does for martial arts, that is when it is most deadly.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:47 am

Think whatever you like if you can train at the same time. It's nothing mystical, spiritual or a grand philosophy about it. Unless you'd rather listen to BS than learn how to use violence.
Back to top Go down
Snowman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:29 am

Moni Aizik's Commando Krav Maga. Train as realistically as possible, not in a dojo. If your training for armed carjacking, you train in a car, if you train for an alley mugging you should train in an alley; it will be helpful if you and your training partners are wearing something like a "Krav Maga Worldwide" franchise t-shirts and matching pants just so that anyone who happens to see knows that it's obviously a training group and not an incident to call 911; perhaps even inform your local PD what your pals will be doing just so they know it's not an emergency if someone sees you from afar. Krav Maga should get you through almost anything. Just in case though, legally obtain, learn to use and have a gun; you can't kick a gang and a thug can punch a bullet; real world violent encounters demand an equal or greater response if necessary. Also, avoid it altogether if you can (if your the potential victim). Run away; there's no shame in it. If you're a parkour practitioner, more strength to you. Run away and hide whenever you can, but if you must fight, win

@Equal: Wow, I actually agree with most you have to say; see we're finding common ground haha. XD
Back to top Go down
Snowman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 am

*can't punch a bullet.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:57 pm

I disagree with most of your conjecture.

@equal
muscle is important, but it is not nearly as important as you seem to think. Elite fighters are in great shape because at that level everyone has great skill and as such they need great shape to have an advantage. At street level most people have, generally, mediocre skill at best and it is easy for trained practitioners to deal with them even if they are weaker. I know as I have experienced hulking brutes trying to take me down and not being able to do it because they do not know how (former high school wreslter). Similarly there are smaller, weaker people where I train who are able to contain my size an strength because they have trained longer and know the skills better.

@snowman
You are advocating a very un-rlsh viewpoint on things. If I am walking with my family, or even my friends, and someone comes and threatens me with a knife or something along these lines, I am going to try to stop that person to protect people. As a rlsh I believe we should strive to offer that same support to everyone, including random people being assaulted in the street. I am not going to run away and leave that person to deal with the problem by themselves.
Also, I have a gun licence but it is completely illegal to carry a gun anywhere in my country that is not a gun range or hunting territory. And I would disagree, you can infact kick/punch a gang...
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:40 pm

What country would that be?
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Snowman is 204. I'm sure he'll be banned again shortly.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:56 pm

He already has been.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:24 am

Seems to me that you are just making up excuses to make it easier on yourself. You'll need it all, and all that ninja stuff in movies is fake.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 am

no. I prioritize my training.
I go to the gym every week but its more important to train my skills so I go to the dojo 3+ times a week.

As for "all that ninja stuff is fake"
that's ridiculous. I am not even mentioning ninja stuff. Ever heard of the UFC? Think those UFC fighters would lose to random people on the street? How do you think they practice their skills?  Well here's n example:

long video though. so hope your patient.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:50 am

85% of that video was conditioning, about 5% fight training, and the last 10% was commentary. I don't think this is a representation of how fighters train their skills. This is how they get in shape.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:21 am

he was insinuating that martial artists train like larpers or something and I was trying to demonstrate that he is wrong.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:10 pm

unless you balance martial arts with leadership, situational training and a good mentor. . .training for the streets can get you seriously hurt. . .no matter how qualified you might be. . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Martial Arts For Fighting Crime   Martial Arts For Fighting Crime Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Martial Arts For Fighting Crime
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next