Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How do you train?

Go down 
+2
Anyman
Ronin
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Batman973

Batman973

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 am

Considering the double life a hero lives how do you guys train? Exercises? Gym? Do you train alone or with someone else?
Back to top Go down
Ronin

Ronin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Fri May 19, 2017 7:26 pm

I wouldn't call it hero training per se, but I do exercise pretty regularly just to keep myself feeling good.
Shadow boxing, or the occasional sparring match; three times a week (M,W,F)
Weight lifting of some kind twice weekly. Generally Monday and Friday. Usually I'll take to a bench press, but dead lifting gets thrown in there as well. We also have a "wellness group" where I work, so I try to go out and walk/jog a couple times each week as well.
Short of the aforementioned wellness group or occasional sparring partner, I prefer to work out alone.
What about you, Batman?
Back to top Go down

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 pm

I mostly just read books and watch videos and rehearse everything in my head for martial arts and wilderness survival; always been more of a visual learner. 

I don't work out as much as I should, I do a lot of work on our farm though, so I'm fairly chiseled. Chopping wood, stacking wood, chucking hay bails, raking, shoveling, digging, hauling debris, hauling water, hauling gas cans, milling lumber, etc, etc.
Back to top Go down
Batman973

Batman973

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Sat May 20, 2017 5:49 am

@Ronin I'm enrolled in a good martial arts school so I train 5-6 days a week I can spar with different ppl daily and experiment I'm also fortunate my partner goes to the same dojo so we can train a lot in our down time also adding in some tkmevst the gym. @204 be careful with videos if you have no one to correct your technique
Back to top Go down

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Sat May 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Indeed. Performed some moves wrong with my dad and ended up hurting myself; make a mental note whenever that happens to not do that again lol.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Sun May 28, 2017 12:46 am

I've done different kinds of training in the past. Some from the 1946 War Department Physical Training manual (mostly focused on conditioning, rifle exercises with 10-lb. weight, guerrilla exercises, and combatives), currently doing the "Hero Training" program from Darebee.com. I've also used YouTube videos of Army PT for training, to refresh my memory, and Tony Horton's videos, in the past
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 3:42 am

I've trained with military contractors for Army and Air Force. I spar daily training others, with the goal being to last 3 minutes against 3 opponents.  Weights 3 times a week, and an insane cardio routine every other day.  Also practice ground tosses with heavy bags. This is meant to replicate the possible scenario of pulling an assailant off of a victim. I haven't had to do that much, but it's a handy skill to train. You don't have to be very strong if you're quick, so it works ok for smaller types.
Back to top Go down
Batman973

Batman973

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 7:03 am

Loving your dedication Gauge :O
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 11:43 am

Well, as I get older it takes more to keep up with you younger guys.
Back to top Go down
Batman973

Batman973

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 11:45 am

The one thing no one can beat Father Time
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 1:18 pm

I would accept a stalemate.
Back to top Go down
Batman973

Batman973

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Wouldn't we all instead he kicks us while we're down
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 3:38 pm

In the words of the esteemed JarJar Binks, "How rude!"
Back to top Go down

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Hoping immortality becomes available in my lifetime. Supposedly we're only twenty years away or so. Some kinda tech that heals your cells as they deteriorate or something so you can live an extra thousand years or so if not forever. Ah, makes me think of the stories of Robert Heinlein haha.
Back to top Go down
Batman973

Batman973

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 7:01 pm

I don't expect to live past 50 or so I rather make the most of my time now doing what I can for the people around me
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Wed May 31, 2017 2:15 pm

Why not past 50?
Back to top Go down
Superman

Superman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Wed May 31, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm 67 and still kicking ass don't wimp out Batman. Like Patton said you don't win wars by dying for your cause you win wars by making the other guy die for his cause.

Superman
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Wed May 31, 2017 5:01 pm

Or, in our case, maybe nobody needs to die. Certainly it's more likely you will die if you plan for it. Likewise, if you use defensive patrol strategies and train to interact and intervene safely with the public, the likelihood of success and longevity increases. I know I have slowed some since I began, but experience and hard work keep me ahead of the youngsters I work with. I don't make plans to fail.
Back to top Go down
Batman973

Batman973

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 am

I don't exactly plan to fail I like to think i understand the risks we all take in doing this I haven't been doing this for very long I'm only on year 3 i have changed alot of the how i patrol to make it as safe as possible
Back to top Go down

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:07 pm

You should plan for failure though; not many do. Always have contingencies. Things will go wrong and you don't want to freeze up when they do because you didn't plan on your plan not working.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:50 pm

No room to plan for failure. That doesn't mean you don't have backup plans, but the mentality is different. 

Batman973: Your ability to evolve will help keep you alive. Analyze your strengths and weaknesses to keep improving,  and seek out knowledge from experienced,  CREDIBLE sources. Hell, I'm almost 50 mysel -- urk!
Back to top Go down

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Why isn't there room to plan for failure? Aren't backup plans...plans for failure of the original plan? O.o
Back to top Go down
Batman973

Batman973

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:42 pm

I am grateful i discovered this place wish i did sooner could have saved myself some agony for sure I will do my part to keep evolving physically and mentally
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Backup plans are not for failure of the original plan. Plans need to be flexible because human behavior is so faceted. Adhere too strictly to a single plan in crime patrols, and you will always fail. If you develop sound strategies and tactics for achieving them, you can smoothly change paths when things go haywire. Changing circumstances is not a failure. Not developing coping tools IS. Again,  the difference is in the mental attitude.
Back to top Go down

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:28 am

Sorry...I'm still not sure what you mean by no room to plan for failure...what do you do if your plan fails?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How do you train? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you train?   How do you train? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How do you train?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next