Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

"Superpowers"

Go down 
+12
onikage
Urban Avenger
E0N (Inactive)
Chivalry
Vursman
Blue Phoenix
Idea Man
Rook2
Gauge
Silver Sentinel
The Jinn
Bearman
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 pm

While this may be controversial, I, from experience, know these things exist, and if one has the gifts, they can be a great boon in the quest to defend others. While I can explain most of this, it would take almost a novel, so what I am going to tell you is this...

There is energy all around us, and many psychic abilities come from an awareness to this energy. Many people who are aware to it can feel this energy or sometimes even see people's auras, which tell their personality and what they are feeling at the moment, among other things. Many can even read thoughts.

My point is thus, I want to know how many of you here have "gifts" and do you use them at all in your line of work as a RL superhero.

My gift? I can feel energy to some extent, can know if a person is good, bad, what they are feeling ect.. without even knowing or speaking to them(and I don't mean reading their faces/body, I mean instantaneously knowing as via intuition.), and while this sounds crazy, I can actually manipulate and outright control the minds of other people to make them like and follow me. I also can heal, but that's magic, which is a different subject all together.

So, call me a crackpot now, if you wish, and anybody with abilities, tell me how if at all do you use them, if they are useful to you, ect...
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:42 pm

hey, i don't think i have a gift but i do believe in what your saying because it's the same for me

i can feel people, i am a litle bit able to move thing without touching them...just a little bit

i do know when someone is coming or is near me, i can feel there feeling, i don't know if it's a ''gift'' all in itself because everybody can do it they just don't know it.
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:54 pm

I've only told a few people, but I have an ability. It's a passive trait that effects probability. Extremely unlikely things frequently occur around me, and to my benefit. It's much more complicated than that, but even I don't fully understand it yet.
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Veneficus wrote:
My gift? I can feel energy to some extent, can know if a person is good, bad, what they are feeling ect.. without even knowing or speaking to them(and I don't mean reading their faces/body, I mean instantaneously knowing as via intuition.), and while this sounds crazy, I can actually manipulate and outright control the minds of other people to make them like and follow me. I also can heal, but that's magic, which is a different subject all together.

Okay, so you're an Empath, and you're great at mirroring. I certainly wouldn't call as much 'mind control'. Mirroring is an ability where one mimics another persons traits, and sends energy back towards the other person. Not only can you convince the person that the emotion you are sending them is there own, but it can also intensify greatly. This can be therapeutic, and also malicious. It can also help with convincing someone that you are of friendly circumstance when your intentions may not be.

As for the healing, we should have a discussion about this. It seems to me that someone wielding so much healing energy wouldn't waste their time messing with mind control, or was this discovered by accident? I am curious.

Last edited by Executrix on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:15 am

its good to know i'm not alone .i can write a lot of books on this subject.after all i am a master of metaphysical arts.i have even beaten death myself.
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:13 pm

Anyone that responds and says that they have power and ability, doesn't really. People with real abilities, don't participate in such threads. Polling people will only bring out individuals that want very badly to have abilities.
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:14 pm

That sounds pretty closed-minded. I've definitely seen examples of the people you're describing, but you can't just group everyone together. I mean you basically just called us liars. I'm offended...
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:46 pm

I've had a revelation in my two week absence. I have come to realize that I was talking more than I was walking. I have taken time and thought to begin planning the proper steps on my own path.

I believe that all Meow meant was that if people really had these supernatural abilities and superpowers, they would not be talking about them on a thread on a forum. Rather, they would be out properly utilizing them for good. It's good to posit conjecture, but we should always attempt to speak from experience, or not speak at all.

I am not attacking or defending, merely stating an unbiased take on what Meow said from my own personal experience.
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:56 pm

Well honestly, the reason I'm not too worried about admitting I have an ability is because it doesn't aid me in my journey to becoming a RLSH. It's passive. You can't control serendipity. Besides... if the human race ever evolved any new special abilities, do you really think we'd get full control of them right off the bat? Or do you think it'd be more likely that like most evolutionary mutations, it would have to develop over generations and prove useful to our survival before we ever gained control of something like that?

I used to be the most cynical, pessimistic, negative and skeptical person you'd ever meet. The only thing I believed in was myself. But you know, after you see a pig fly enough times, you have to start believing maybe some pigs can fly.
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Evolution happens slowly. And to get back on topic, I am curious as to what you mean by your "ability." Would you mind elaborating just exactly what this serendipitous supernatural strength does for you?
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:50 pm

The unlikely event can be good, happening "just in time" or right when I need it. It can also be bad, against my wishes, but where one door closes, another one opens, and I am lead to something greater. Either way, I benefit from the unusual occurrence. Occasionally the event might not have an immediate benefit, but will instead set off a chain of events that wont come to fruition for years. Sometimes the event could seem insignificant, but will later be revealed to be of the utmost significance.

I also see blatantly symbolic images or signs that prove useful in many ways. Some act as warnings, while others reaffirm and substantiate current beliefs or themes in my life. Often times they provide vague, metaphorical answers to questions that have been tumbling around in my head. Sometimes they appear in my dreams as premonitions... short black and white subliminal "commercials" in between my dream sequences. Weeks or months later, those subliminal tid-bits actually happen to me, which often prompts me to yell "Déjà vu!" and startle my friends.

You might say "Oh you're just delusionally optimistic." or "Pfft you just have apophenia..." But you'd be wrong. What ever it is, its made my life better than I could have ever imagined. I don't take it for granted. I don't try to control it. I simply watch it unfold, and remain grateful that so many miracles happen in my life. That's why I want to be a RLSH. I don't care about the glory or attention. I just want others to feel the same way I do every day. If I can achieve that by putting on a uniform and patrolling the neighborhood, prepared to do what is right in every situation, then you better believe I'm doing it. I want to be living proof that miracles do happen. Nobody will ever be able to convince me otherwise.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:18 am

I think we all have inherent empathic ability. We tend to reflect the emotions of those around us naturally. It's the reason a mob can be dangerous. Normal, rational people get lost in the swell of emotion and behave differently than they might otherwise. I wouldn't call it a super power, but it's something that could be utilized to ones advantage when they understand it and know how to guide the other person's emotions by manipulating their own.
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:25 pm

I don't mean to offend anyone.
But there are alot of people that believe that they have abilities and do not.

If I am thinking about my mother and then she calls me, do I have abilities? Or was it merely coincidence? Abilities can't really be fact-checked unless you're going to test people.

I am leery of people who say they have abilities. I can think if a certain someone that believes very strongly that they have abilities, and although I will not name names, this person is the most ridiculous person I know. Their claims are positively delusional and it is very staged and theatrical. This gives people that really have abilities a really bad name. But isn't that always the case? A few jerks give the good guys a bad name? That could go for foster parents, religious people and RLSH, too.
What I meant is that I feel that coming out and actually polling people is going to bring out alot of people that want an audience for their parlor tricks or self-diagnosed assessment. I'm not saying all the people that will respond here will be lying, but I truly feel that those that truly have abilities stay in the shadows for a reason.
There are a few people I know that can do things that I cannot even verbalize. It has happened because I have been a part of it or because I am close to them. Those people would not touch this thread. They do not want the attention. They won't raise their hand. If you do participate in this discussion, I'm not saying you must be fake. But I think that you're going to get a smattering of all kinds of people, and most of them WANT abilities very badly or overexaggerate things and then call it 'abilities'. Doesn't mean they really have them.
If you are still offended, I don't really know what to say.
At this point, although I care about this movement, I have personally withdrawn from most people on a personal level, and I am completely amazed that I am even writing this. But that's how I feel about it.

Last edited by apocalypse__meow on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:50 pm

...and for what it's worth....the person that I am referencing above in my third paragraph is not Master Legend. He may be 'out there', but he fucking rocks.

Okay, it's like American Idol. Everyone thinks they are a singer. Some people will swear up and down that they can sing like Mariah Carey or Pink. Then you see them trying out for that show and their voice peels the paint from your damn wall. They are crushed and shocked when the judges tell them the truth. Some of those people couldn't hold a tune in a basket, but they will still say they are a great singer. And when you ask a group of people if they are singers, many will raise their hand. However, it's not right to group those howling, tone-deaf banshees with people that can TRULY sing. Asking a general question about abilities is the same thing.

I'm sure I'm offending everyone. Not trying to. I will also not entertain guesses about who I'm talking about in my previous post. Please know that I am being vague because calling someone out (although sometimes justified), is just plain rude in this case.

I'm not always a raging bitch. Tell your friends.

Last edited by apocalypse__meow on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Nuerocyb'X?
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:47 pm

apocalypse__meow wrote:
I don't mean to offend anyone.
But there are alot of people that believe that they have abilities and do not.

If I am thinking about my mother and then she calls me, do I have abilities? Or was it merely coincidence? Abilities can't really be fact-checked unless you're going to test people.

I am leery of people who say they have abilities. I can think if a certain someone that believes very strongly that they have abilities, and although I will not name names, this person is the most ridiculous person I know. Their claims are positively delusional and it is very staged and theatrical. This gives people that really have abilities a really bad name. But isn't that always the case? A few jerks give the good guys a bad name? That could go for foster parents, religious people and RLSH, too.
What I meant is that I feel that coming out and actually polling people is going to bring out alot of people that want an audience for their parlor tricks or self-diagnosed assessment. I'm not saying all the people that will respond here will be lying, but I truly feel that those that truly have abilities stay in the shadows for a reason.
There are a few people I know that can do things that I cannot even verbalize. It has happened because I have been a part of it or because I am close to them. Those people would not touch this thread. They do not want the attention. They won't raise their hand. If you do participate in this discussion, I'm not saying you must be fake. But I think that you're going to get a smattering of all kinds of people, and most of them WANT abilities very badly or overexaggerate things and then call it 'abilities'. Doesn't mean they really have them.
If you are still offended, I don't really know what to say.
At this point, although I care about this movement, I have personally withdrawn from most people on a personal level, and I am completely amazed that I am even writing this. But that's how I feel about it.

^^^^^
That == Well spoken.

I would have to agree 100% to this. I have yet to meet a person that can demonstrate a true super power. There are things people do that fall into the realm of natural abilities that look extraordinary at first glance, but upon closer inspection there is a mundane explanation for them.
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Manowar wrote:
There are things people do that fall into the realm of natural abilities that look extraordinary at first glance, but upon closer inspection there is a mundane explanation for them.

Thank you, and I agree.
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:52 pm

What if they can pull large pieces of furniture out of their ass?
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Just because you poop Ikea furniture doesn't mean you're magic. In fact, you should probably go get that checked out. Right now. You may be having some issues with Beaver DNA being integrated into your system.

I'm looking at you, White Skull, on this one. Really? Beaver DNA? You're insidious.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Being empathic and in tune with other people is not a magical power by any means. Mothers can make a child feel better simply by kissing the boo boo, and the same principle works with many "psychic" healers. The patient's own mind and body provide the healing, the healer just adds the impetus.

Being empathic and mirroring others is not an uncommon skill. As a person who is very good at it myself I can walk into any shopping mall and be able to point others out to you within minutes. Empathic people tune into others around them, you can see them naturally falling into sync. Anyone who truly opens themselves up can do it.

As for divine healing, and the like.. I'm a man of faith, so any answer I can give on the subject would be based upon my faith. My faith is just that.. mine, not your's.. so obviously that is unacceptable for some of you. No offense taken there, and none meant to be given.
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:05 am

apocalypse__meow wrote:
Tell your friends.

I already told my friends about you. I praised you. I told them you were encouraging and supportive. Maybe I spoke too soon.

The people who sign up for American Idol sing because they love to do it. It gives them something to strive for. It gives them confidence and hope. They hear about this new program that can make their dreams come true. They summon all of their courage, even wait in the pouring rain or snow just to get a chance at that dream, and what happens? They are publicly discouraged from ever singing again. Before their hearts were broken by the judgments of others, they knew they were singers. They were happy. The difference between that situation and this one is that they asked to be judged. I didn't.

Taste in music is completely relative. Personally, I don't like any music that comes out of that show. But I don't call the contestants and tell them they shouldn't sing anymore. I don't accuse them of doing it only for the fame or recognition. I simply don't listen to it.
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:48 am

I don't think meow was judging you. I think the point was that if you do have powers, truly, then don't jump on here telling everyone. Use it for yourself. Because you're only opening yourself up to ridicule. I for one, and I'm sure I'm not alone, don't believe in "powers". I just don't. It's not a choice, I don't choose not to, but I simply can't. I believe in people who have trained their body and mind to be more adept to things than others. But powers? Nah.

The majority of people aren't going to believe in powers either. So when you're going around saying you're part of the RLSH movement and that you have powers, you make yourself and us look like loons. Not saying you are, but saying that is how people will perceive it. If you really do have powers, use them to your advantage, but you lose a tactical advantage when you talk about it.
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:42 am

DayDreamer wrote:

I already told my friends about you. I praised you. I told them you were encouraging and supportive. Maybe I spoke too soon.

I find it most unfortunate that you are choosing to take this so personally when it was made as a general statement. Other people can see that I am not attacking you, I fail to see how you still find this so personally offensive.
The truth remains that many people believe that they have abilities when they do not. It is definitely a fact that the worst of every group is usually what people decide to remember, even though it's not fair. Wonderful religious people that are not pious assholes actually exist, but the general feeling about religion is that they are Bible bashing hypocrites that have gold rings and are all too ready to take your elderly grandmother's money. There are caring foster parents making a real difference, but the general thought is that people are greedy and do it for the money and do not care about the kids at all. Well, it's the same in this subculture. People fear what they don't understand, and most people are assholes and will not invest alot of time into things before they judge it. If they can make a joke of it, they will. I do not want the 'sane' group of people in this subculture that may or may not have abilities to be grouped with some of the others that are clearly delusional. It is not fair to those that have abilities. Why should they have that label?
In this subculture, there are many posers, many trolls, and more inactive people than are active. There are people who will be members of this forum for a week or less, people that will be very gung-ho and then lose interest after two months. There will will be people that think they are really Batman, that they cannot die, that they are from another planet. These people talk big behind their Internet curtain, but will never meet-up, never patrol, never participate. Should they all raise their hand? Are we all the same? No, sir. We are not.
There are many people who will say they have abilities because it is part of their gimmick and it goes along with the sham. There are people who will group themselves with people who really have abilities, because they want to impress others or look cool. They will do anything to further the belief that they are part of an certain group of people that have been gifted to do extraordinary and sometimes unexplainable things. These people will jump at the chance to participate in a general poll while many others that actually have abilities will stay in the shadows and away from the hubbub. They have been quietly exploring what they have found within themselves. They are not all the same.
This is a general question, not an attack on you.
Eighteen months ago, I would not have given the credit to gifted people like I do now. I was completely skeptical and had not met anyone that could do anything unexplainable. I can tell you that things have changed in that area, at least for me.
However, I am still the same person in all other areas. Even though we disagree, I don't think of you any differently. Regardless, it is too bad that you have decided to change what you thought about me because you are choosing to be defensive.
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks for explaining things in a little more detail. I guess the problem is that I didn't see the worst possible case scenario. I try to find the best in people... so I never considered that anyone would actually stop supporting the movement just because of one person's claims. I give people more credit than that... I don't expect them to be that petty.

I thought a lot about this last night... and I realized that maybe people don't share their beliefs because they don't need to. Their beliefs aren't there for everyone else. They're there for yourself.

Either way, I wouldn't want my beliefs to stop anyone else from making a difference. If I were a moderator, I'd suggest making a rule that we simply don't speak about "powers" or "abilities" for just that reason. I might also suggest deleting this thread.

It is important what people think of us. I'm not ashamed of what I believe, but I also believe in this movement. I don't want to stop us from changing the world for the better. If I have to stay quiet about certain things to achieve that goal, then I will.

Please, don't doubt my commitment to this cause. I don't have a gimmick. I'm not adopting a persona. This is me. It has been since I first posted here.
Back to top Go down

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:25 pm

That's good to know. And I'm not doubting your committment at all, just so you know.
There are alot of little trolls on this forum that lash out in hostility because they lack the maturity to process reasoning or participate in an actual discussion. People here may not agree on all points, but at least we can explain why we say what we say. If anything, a different view is food for thought. On matters of opinion, no one should be twisting your arm and demanding that you believe them, although it can get pretty heated around here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Superpowers" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Superpowers"   "Superpowers" Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

"Superpowers"
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next