Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Meditation

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Wed May 13, 2009 7:40 am

Below is a very basic meditation which will aid in developing a more calmer mindset and that will aid in reducing stress. there are many different ways of doing meditation, so if you wish to add anything or if you want to add your own style of meditation, then feel free to share.

Simple Meditation

1. Find a quiet and comfortable place which makes you feel relaxed.

2. Lie down on the floor, bed or whatever is comfortable to you and then close your eyes.

3. Tense all the muscles in your body and then release and relax them all.

4. Focus on your whole body, from top to bottom, if you feel a muscle still tensed, relax it, literally become a rag doll.

5. Now fully relaxed focus on your breathing, listen to it, feel it, become one with it.

Meditation Tips

Meditate in the same place as it helps to build up positive energy which will then make you feel more positive when you are there.

Meditate at the same time each day, if this is not possible then at least do it daily.

Meditate for as long as you want but i suggest 10 minutes minimum, 30 minutes maximum.

Turn off or unplug phones, lock doors etc. if you think being disturbed is possible.

Rather than focusing on your breathing, you can just think positive thoughts, think of things that make you feel good and only good.

If negative thoughts enter your mind, be completely indifferent to them, just let them float by and then refocus on your breathing or positive thoughts again.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Wed May 13, 2009 10:40 am

I need to meditate more. To me it is about facing yourself and dealing with your thoughts. It can be quite amazing and is a lot more difficult than you would think.
Back to top Go down

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 6:52 am

Yes Dark Guardian, meditation is quite amazing. I find that a healthy mind is more important than a healthy body, because with a healthy mind, one is able to make healthy choices for the body.
Back to top Go down

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 11:31 am

It's a little harder to meditate, though, if you live in a rather large city with high levels of trafffic and construction.

I, myself, was thinking of practicing Tai Chi
Back to top Go down

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 11:36 am

The Cicada wrote:
It's a little harder to meditate, though, if you live in a rather large city with high levels of trafffic and construction.

I, myself, was thinking of practicing Tai Chi

Tai Chi is something I've wanted to get into for a very long time. Sadly, there is nobody in my immediate vicinity who teaches it. This, of course, makes Zen a sad panda.
Back to top Go down

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 11:43 am

Hey, Zen. You could always start of with Tai Chi on video, or the 'net
Back to top Go down

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 11:55 am

The Cicada wrote:
Hey, Zen. You could always start of with Tai Chi on video, or the 'net

I may have to do that, Cicada. Thank you.

Back on topic, though... there are a few things that might help, should you want to follow these steps and meditate.

• You don't need to lay down, you just need to "get away". Often the best place to get away is the bedroom, which means you'll be horizontal. Don't let it become a requirement to meditate, however. As long as you find a comfortable place - your bed, an easy chair, lotus position on the floor (for those capable of it) - you should be fine.
  • When you tense your muscles and release the tension, you may find it difficult to release all of it at once. If you do, start slowly, from head to toe, thinking about the different parts of your body, to see if they're still holding on to that tension. If they are, make a gentle, conscious effort to release it. Do this little by little, starting with your forehead and moving all the way down to your feet.
  • Once you have focused on your breathing, make a conscious effort to breath with your diaphragm. For most people, this will be more relaxing.
  • If you can't find a place that's silent, it's okay to put some music on. A condition to that is this: It must be instrumental, and it must not be jarring. No heavy guitars or fast drumbeats. There are many classical pieces that work well.
  • Make your meditation time part of a set schedule. Try to do it at the same time every day, in the same place. As the routine sets in, so will the ease at which you slip into a relaxed state.
  • Don't beat yourself up if you miss it for a day or two or even more. When you can, return to the practice.
  • If you have difficulty escaping your own thoughts, try using a word or a phrase, repeated over and over, as a focus. We've all heard people on movies humming "Ommm..." (which rhymes with "Rome"), and perhaps laughed a little, but it helps. You might prefer to use something a little more comfortable with your spiritual walk, and that's okay. What's important is to find a way to take the focus off your random thoughts.

Not meaning to step on toes, of course, just wanting to expound a little.
Back to top Go down

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 1:18 pm

Zen, thanks for adding those extra tips, i knew there were alot things i do not know, so any extra information or techniques are welcome.
Back to top Go down

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Hey Stoical

Very cool subject chaps, and one as you already know very close to my own heart, especially with the ammount of Yoga, I practice and teach, you and Zen have got all the basics spot on, so well done. I now have through practicing meditation and Yoga from such a early age, managed to substantially increase my own aquatic performance, so it is well worth the effort in keeping going I can assure you.

I was involoved as a control subject for quite some time in a research program that involved High level Bio~Feedback techniques combined with meditation, which was designed to reawaken the mammalian diving reflex in children and teenagers. Consequently now on a dive I can slow my heart beat down to as low as 20 BPM and focus my body to only use the oxygen contained in my lungs to feed my heart and brain. It is common phenomena, but one most people don't realise exists and in truth it is one of the fundementals to good mediitation.

Thats why one of the greatest meditations and tests of total body control you can perform is a medative breath hold dive in ice water, { see pictures below}, if you can control you heart rate and oxygen usage, whilst still, stilling your mind under those conditions then you can do it anywhere:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But anyway some great basic starting tips for everyone there chaps well done, if you or zen or anyone else for that matter need any further more advanced advice or support in this subject please do not hesitate to contact me, as I always love giving people tutorlidge in this subject so that they can move on to the more advanced stages, keep up the good work, Namasté.
Back to top Go down

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 29, 2009 2:29 pm

Meditation and visualization are great. T.M. was taught to my class by an exceptional school teacher who was in to new age and world religions. It is a great technique for anyone looking to increase their mental and physical well being.
Back to top Go down

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 29, 2009 6:25 pm

You can use music to help meditate as well. There are cds geared for meditation and then there's always stuff like Dead Can Dance, trance music, chanting, classical, nature sounds, etc etc.

When I do get around to meditating, usually late at night, I tend to have light music on...otherwise I can't get my brain to shut up.
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1Fri May 29, 2009 6:43 pm

I like meditating to the sound of small wind chimes. the sounds are completly random and can be very relaxing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Meditation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meditation   Meditation Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Meditation
Page 1 of 1