Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Forgotten Martial art

Go down 
+7
Dark Guardian
Champion
onikage
Silver Sentinel
Urban Avenger
the crimson fist
Hissyfit
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Forgotten Martial art Empty
PostSubject: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:41 am

So there is this one martial arts that I forgot the name too. It looks like people are dancing when they do it but they are mainly fighting with their feet. WHATS THE NAME???
Back to top Go down
Hissyfit

Hissyfit

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:42 am

Are you thinking of Capoeira?
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:48 am

Capoeira?
Back to top Go down
the crimson fist

the crimson fist

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:49 am

Hissyfit beat me to it Smile
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:52 am

look up eddie gordo from the tekken series.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:18 am

THATS IT EXCATLY. Thanks Urban Advenger. I am learning that since my main and only attack I ever do is from my feet. I cant attack with punches at all. I just saw some people doing it at a gas station today. I should have asked them to go all out on me. I can never learn something unless my life is at stake. Wierd if you asked me. But thanks again for finding that for me.
Back to top Go down
Silver Sentinel

Silver Sentinel

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:27 am

Pitch Black wrote:
...I am learning that since my main and only attack I ever do is from my feet. I cant attack with punches at all. I just saw some people doing it at a gas station today. I should have asked them to go all out on me. I can never learn something unless my life is at stake. Wierd if you asked me.

You learn through repetition like anyone else. You don't learn by having someone kick the crap out of you. When you say things like this it irritates people and makes you look like a fool. And are you honestly saying you can't throw a punch? Just kicks? Get into a class and have a teacher teach you something. Stop typing thinking that people will find you quirky and interesting.

That popping sound is the noise my last nerve just made after you worked it.
Back to top Go down
onikage

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:56 am

Also Capoeira isent exaclly a fighting style, its more a dance style. Honestly if your going to go on patrol and someone is getting mugged and you try to do some backflip smiral kick on them, you will get hurt. You will look like a strait fool.

Capoeira is very interesting style for YOU to choose, all show no go. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
Champion

Champion

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:35 am

I know this is from a movie but it seems to fit.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:18 pm

wow that was really cool until he got knocked out!

but at last he looked cool!

right...?

oh by the way, eddie gordo is single handedly the easiest character to beat in tekken.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Champion wrote:

I lol'd
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:48 pm

yea thats one reason i want to learn more and more martial arts. I'm also taking a class in Jujitsu.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Capoiera is a fantastic workout from what I know. As far as a effective self defense art it is most certainly no good. Can you learn a couple things from it sure, but it is not what you would want to bet your life on in defending yourself.

If you want to defend yourself please don't do this.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:42 pm

deal
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Stick with the Jujitsu for sure. A lot of the "small circle" techniques and the grappling will be extremely valuable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:23 pm

yea that's why i tend to do it
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Gauge wrote:
Stick with the Jujitsu for sure. A lot of the "small circle" techniques and the grappling will be extremely valuable.

echo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:04 pm

Basics kid, basics.

Like Silver Sentinel said: repetition. Practice.
Shadowbox, kick whatever.
Get a heavy bag if you can, if not improvise.

Work on HOW to hit, basic hitting techniques, and DEFENSE.
Get down basics, then add in more specific techniques or tricks.

Save the fancy stuff for the photo shoots or charity time, not real street time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks for the insight daddy o. lol. but seriosuly thanks
Back to top Go down
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:18 am

Capoeira is absolutely, (in the words of Skyman) Awesome Sauce!!! I love the art for it's form and fluidity. Not to long ago I came across another beautiful style hidden within dance. The Korean form of dance fighting that was so deadly it was banned by the Japanese during their occupation of Korea. It is called Taekkyeon, and it is comprise of 100% pure EPIC WIN.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/wrdHrNiJ5Ls?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/wrdHrNiJ5Ls?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/l3nmjKvOADo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/l3nmjKvOADo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Good luck finding a school or teacher though. Sad I have looked, and it is almost exclusively taught in Korea, with only a few exceptions. Sad
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:25 am

I understood that Capoeria
was developed
- totally on the QT -
by slaves whos' feet were chained together -
right to left foot.

They had to drop to their hands and lift both feet in the air.

They, as many did, hid the moves in dance, yes?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:33 am

oh yeah I'm a 20th degree black belt in that.

not really but it does look pretty cool, flashy, but still effective.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Champion wrote:

That was awesome.
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:15 am

I hate that scene from that movie. No good capoeirista would do that. I've practiced capoeira for a few years and do think it has a lot of martial application. You just have to look past the flash. Capoeira is based on evasion. It teaches you to blend with an opponent and it teaches some effective ground movement. It show you how to kick from awkward positions. Check out capoeira angola. It's less flash. I'm not saying it's the end all be all of martial arts, but no martial art is. You have to study several and pick and choose what works for you. But saying that it has nothing to offer and is just a dance is ridiculous. Many martial arts were hidden and practiced as dances. Capoeira has a lot to offer as a martial art.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forgotten Martial art   Forgotten Martial art Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Forgotten Martial art
Page 1 of 1