Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?

Go down 
+33
Crossfire the Crusader
SkyMan
JohnDoe
Superhuman
dcguardian
The Ambassador
Midnite Detective
Mister
Shield Mongoose
Lost Prophet
Dark Patriot
Overwatch
patchwork
Alastor
Gauge
Gadgetastic!
Reiki Ninja
Fear
E0N (Inactive)
Paladin
Atavistik
Alchemist
Jack Shadow
Blue Phoenix
Un-named_Hero
Equal
Flora V. Arbor
Prof. Midnight
The Grey Man
The Samaritan
Entomo
The Eye
Dark Guardian
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Empty
PostSubject: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 pm

What do you think is good martial arts training for a RLSH?

Last edited by Dark Guardian on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:22 pm

Personally, from my field of training, anything defensive. I would say for those who are more of a stockier nature like myself, Judo. I wouldn't know about the taller types. Hapkido is a great thing to use as well. I would have to look into more.

Just basic street fighting if anything. Just learn everything defensively, of course.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:24 am

Depends on your style, really.

My experience may not be helpful to your style, your best power. Said in terms I know, A big guy with a claymore has more power and it may fit his possible lack of speed, while the smaller guy would be better with a stiletto.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:27 am

I think it really depends on what you are most comfortable with really. For example, while I trained in a number of styles in my time, I only found Muay Thai to be the one martial art I feel really confident in using.

Simple fact is that <i>all</i> martial arts can be effective on the street if you avoid the more extravagant techniques. I have even found Tae Kwon Do to be an effective art in the hands of somebody who is comfortable using it and knows what he's doing...
Back to top Go down
The Eye

The Eye

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Simplify, simplify, simplify...   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:58 pm

I agree with Agent Null...keep it simple. One of my own styles, Jade Mantis, is a self-defense distillation of the parts of Northern Shaolin Praying Mantis that work for me. My more basic style of Leaf Hand is simpler still, and designed for basic defense only, rather like an abbreviated Aikido.

In Seeing Justice Done,
~The Eye~ cyclops
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:11 pm

~
I think most people with any serious MA understanding have said the same thing to me over and over and over:

Styles don't beat styles -- people beat people.

I've also been advised, as the others said, to go with what you feel best suited for. If you prefer the direct, brute kind of way, relying on overpowering or strength, go with hard techniques. If you prefer the slippery, tricky stuff, redirection of energies and throws, look for softer styles. Most of all, find someone you can trust as your instructor.

Besides martial arts, a lot of people are recommending combat methods (which aren't styles, per say, but overall tactics). Krav Maga seems to be the one most recommended for simply dealing with threats. It lacks much flare, but focuses on use of the situation and environment to most effectively meet the threat presented.

That's what I've been told, anyway.
~
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:13 pm

I teach a mixed style of Kempo, kickboxing, some grappling, and some filipino arts.

I think you need a mix of styles to be able to deal with different situations.

I does depend on the person, but there are arts I would reccomend and ones I would not. Being in the industry I have seen the styles that primarily suck and those that are usually good being taught like crap.

Some styles I would reccomend are Kajukenbo, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jui-jitsu, Krav Maga, Boxing, MMA, various Filipino arts for stick and knife, and Judo.
I'm sure there are other good arts but these are all usually solid arts if taught properly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Entomo

Entomo

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:58 am

I heavily promoted Krav Maga in recent interviews, but I must say that Aikido works even better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:56 pm

all forms of karate, boxing, ninjitsu,grappling, and aikido.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:20 pm

You make a few good points. Okay you make a lot of good points. However, something should be said about the definitive difference in modern Martial Arts and Ancient ones. Something that you have partially wrong.

Yes there are many "McDojos". I know this very well. I have tried some out and have had matches against some of these. I do not recommend any of them. However there is one school that you can find almost anywhere in the US that is the real deal. United Studios of Self Defense. Now let me explain.

USSD mainly teaches the art of Shaolin Chuan'Fa "Law of the Fist", but it teaches a very modern style without loosing any of the old roots. I've heard many of the students of modern Martial Arts insult, demean, and thoroughly tear down the old animal styles. They say they are too ornate for a 'real fight' or street fight. I've found that none of these students I've talked to have ever experienced Shaolin Kung Fu. The animal arts are not made to attack someone, but to take your body and create the perfect Martial Arts body. The animal styles force you to learn flexibility, speed, power, footwork, accuracy, and balance. Most importantly, a master learns to predict everything his opponent is capable of doing for every stance his opponent takes. After all of this, USSD will take the student beyond the animal styles. The student then takes everything he has learned and applies these things to the methodology of Modern Martial Arts. The student is then forced to learn many more arts to broaden himself. This way by using the ancient arts as a basis, a Martial Artist can take the modern methods and use them to their fullest extend and surpass any other opponent for as long as the student truly understands everything he has learned. In the end the student is then encouraged to take everything he has learned and create his own unique style, or Martial Art. Only then does he become a master truly worthy of his belt.

It is true what Phoenix said. That we must 'Stay one step ahead' and 'On the cutting edge', but one thing people forget is that many 'cutting edge' styles tend to forget that which led to their creation. The ancient arts have everything a martial artist needs to learn to become a truly effective fighter. After he has learned these things, only then can he truly be all that he can be. That is when the modern martial arts come in.

I have seen Muay Thai fall short against the animal arts. I have seen nearly every Modern Martial Art fail when pitted up against Shaolin Chuan'Fa. Why? Because a master of Shaolin Chuan'Fa has mastered the old and the new. Whats more is the art of Shaolin Chuan'Fa is taught directly by the Shaolin Monks to the 2 leaders of USSD. These leaders mastered that which the monks teach and then added the aspects and teachings of Modern Martial Arts to create the new style. They then took that to the monks who then approved this as the next step in the evolution of true martial arts. Now these newer methods are encouraged and taught in the temples in China. The 2 leaders of USSD then pass this art down directly to every teacher in USSD across the US. Now second hand learning, no substitutions. By this method it stays pure.

Basically, my recommendation is this. If you are able to invest the time and money in learning the ancient methods, then do it. It will be one of the best things you will ever do. Take what you learn there and add it to whatever it is you have now.

However, if you can't afford the time or money, then don't worry. The Modern Arts will take you to a certain point only, but that point is a point where you will be still able to defend yourself effectively. This much alone is good enough for many of the fights you will find, but know that you will never reach your full potential if you stop here.

For those who do learn or master the ancient arts, NEVER STOP HERE! Turn around and dedicate your training to the modern arts. Take everything the modern arts can teach you and combine them with the ancient arts.

Combine the Old and the New. Become a warrior in which both the Modern and the Ancient thrive together in perfect harmony.

Always keep your mind open to knew ideas, there is no limit to what we can learn. Create your own Art. This is my belief as a martial artist and I hope I am understood. I believe every style, every art can teach us something valuable.

I think you are very knowledgeable, Phoenix. I have always been curious about learning Krav Maga along with Silat and Kali.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:40 am

I see your point. As far as some of those members you said you saw, not everyone attempts to reach their peak. It depends on the person. One of our leaders, Mattera, is actually somewhat overweight. This is something people hold against him. He actually likes this little deception of his. People immediately underestimate him because of his size and shape {short and obese} and think they can take him. They are sorely mistaken when they see why he holds the rank he holds. Peak physical condition doesn't mean you are built like a war god, it means you are at your best, and that depends on a person's physiology.

You are right in that it could take a lifetime and leave little time for anything else. I don't advise going after each and every one, just study up and pick a few. Make sure those are perfect for each other and yourself.

Of course not everyone can afford to even take a martial arts course, so for those I advise finding someone you trust who knows what they are doing and asking them to train you. Just as Phoenix suggested before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am

Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:29 pm

In my opinion fusing Krav Maga, and Ninjutsu will get anything you need to get done. Done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Krav Magra is the martial arts form used to train the Israeli army - and the IDF is one of the most advanced militaries in the world. It is extremely well rounded and practical for hand-to-hand combat and self-defense.

It's a no-bullshit kickass form that is relatively accessible to those without any prior training.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:12 am

Aikido and Muay Thai.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:59 pm

My recommendations would be a mixture of jeet kune do and muay thai, thats's just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:06 am

Bujinkan or Genbukan Ninjutsu
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Wrestling is a good style. Also boxing. Both are useful in subduing an oppent and restraing unruly aggressors. I would stay away from flashy and impractical styles.I dont think a spinning cresent kick will do much good against a career criminal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Krav Maga. leaves your attacker coughing up his prostate. poor bastard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:59 pm

+1 on krav maga.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 am

I use a mix of tea kwon do and tia bo
Back to top Go down
The Grey Man

The Grey Man

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:35 pm

I would like to experiment with combining the fluidity and focus of Tai chi movements with the dynamics and real time flexibility of Jeet Kun Do.

At the moment however, I refer to and use the older military combatives, down and dirty and to the point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next