Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

martial art styles

Go down 
+20
Polarman
Sleepless
Blue Alpha
Gauge
Dark Guardian
JohnDoe
Psyphon
TheCheshireCat
Zimmer
Justice258
Prof. Midnight
Midnite Detective
dcguardian
Citizen
Flora V. Arbor
Red Dragon
Superhero
Equal
E0N (Inactive)
NightAngel
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

martial art styles - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Then they should go volunteer, this is about Martial arts right? I don't think volunteers are under the current subject matter.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Sleepless wrote:
They could try not being RLSH until they can actual defend themselves.

You just made a suggestion that would decimate the RLSH community if taken to heart.

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
I woudn't recommend cheap training any more than I would recommend the cheapest taser or the cheapest "bulletproof" vest.

This takes an investment if you want to be successful and safe. If you have to cut corners, you aren't ready. And Tai Chi won't give you a foundation for the full contact training necessary.

Your suggestion should be for them to work on their fitness, and their finances, until they can do realistic training.

So, what will they do about the beatings until these problems are solved?

I hate to say it, but "get a weapon." Martial arts skills in practical situations are far less advantageous against someone who's armed.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Sleepless,

I have agree with EON - this thread may be about Martial Arts
but RLSH is not.

I keep coming back, in my mind, to Mr. Extreme -
putting up flyers to alert the community.

MANY people, not just RLSH, HUNGER to get into fights.

Being RLSH is not about nourishing that hunger.

Super Hero pointed out that even police tend to get to the mugging AFTER it happens.

If RLSH are successful, many muggings et al won't happen.
Therefore, the fights won't happen.

"Protecting" doesn't ABSOLUTLY mean fighting.

If you hunger to fight, get in the ring.

If you inspired to protect, you may not be fighting a lot
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:01 pm

In light of what Sleepless wrote I was taking karate lessons about the same time that I first started out as Polarman
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:03 pm

EON, "get a weapon" still involves money - MOST of the time.

I did manage to get a broom stick and string and make 'chucks
when I was homeless

but ONLY because my first husband had had training in 'chucks
and we had home enough for me to learn
did I have ANY knowledge.

So, it STILL involved resourses.

I would not feel comfortable sending a person with low resourses to get weapons.

I would send them to the library to learn Tai Chi on computer
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Now how about Canada where all wepons are illegal I can still punch and kick Ive thrown guys bigger than myself but I still have scars from where I have had weapons used against me
Back to top Go down
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:19 pm

E0N wrote:
Sleepless wrote:

You just made a suggestion that would decimate the RLSH community if taken to heart.

In what way? If you want to do active patrols beyond calling the cops you should know how to defend yourself, if you can't do that then how could you protect anyone else? (Given this is a thread about martial arts I assume it pertains to crime fighters.)

If suggesting that someone who wants to be a crime fighter should know how to defend themselves decimates the community, then maybe my words aren't the problem.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Filming every thing is highly useful in the fight for crime.

It can help a victim be defended in court.

I'd think that someone is an awesome superhero if they filmed something
and gave me that film!

This thread is about Martial Arts
but
"Martial Arts" is a giant subject.

Disscussions of application are relevant.

Exclusion is not as necessary as Nemesis's framing might suggest.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:35 pm

True but I dont have a camera that can film like Urban Avenger has
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 pm

PolarSaint,
you, like ML, are OUT IN THE THICK OF IT in a small, harmony-achievment-striving community.

You, are your shovel-fu, are not achieveable by most people.

You - are - that special!
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:57 pm

I like Ed Parker's Kenpo.

...50% hands and 50% feet...circles AND linear...no high kicks...multiple-strikes
and joint locks.

I find myself using "redirection" more often than strikes.

I can't get in as much trouble letting someone smash-head into something
as
I can if I smash the head myself.

Here is a challenge for those who want to test the idea of"redirection":

Play "Sharks and Minnows" with some grade school kids

see if your five-different-styles-of-martial-arts-for-25-years/State Champion/
great-stamina-/dance-background/music-playing/carefully-shod behind
can just tag 30 children who are not allowed to run outside the lines.

go'head
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:56 pm

There is no answer I can provide. If there were easy answers to do things that require lots of resources, with no resources, why would any of us bother seeking those out?

I'd rather be realistic with an individual, and tell them they need to actually be prepared, and let them accept that disappointment, than show them a 5 minute youtube video and tell them if they do that when attacked, they'll be fine. Bull. I'd rather offend than endanger.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:18 pm

I have done various forms of Kempo over 10 years.
Parkers understanding of movement, reaction, flow, etc. is fantastic. The slappy American kenpo stuff always drove me nuts though. He got too lost in the details and he missed a lot of the visceral and primal nature of a fight.

Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Sleepless wrote:
E0N wrote:
Sleepless wrote:

In what way? If you want to do active patrols beyond calling the cops you should know how to defend yourself, if you can't do that then how could you protect anyone else? (Given this is a thread about martial arts I assume it pertains to crime fighters.)

If suggesting that someone who wants to be a crime fighter should know how to defend themselves decimates the community, then maybe my words aren't the problem.

If you are going out solo, I would generally agree that one should be trained in self defense. But if you patrol in a group, the practical necessity goes down depending on what you do. If you have a ten-person patrol and you come across one mugger, do you think he'll fight or run? It won't matter if you can't win a fight against a preschooler, he'll run unless he has a gun, in which case your MA ability counts for less anyway. The smaller your group is the more important it becomes to be competent to defend yourself. And while I certainly advocate for being as competent as you can be, the reality is that it's not always the case.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Nemesis wrote:
There is no answer I can provide. If there were easy answers to do things that require lots of resources, with no resources, why would any of us bother seeking those out?

I'd rather be realistic with an individual, and tell them they need to actually be prepared, and let them accept that disappointment, than s

how them a 5 minute youtube video and tell them if they do that when attacked, they'll be fine.

Bull. I'd rather offend than endanger.

who either typed or implied this?

I said that, since Tai Chi is only ONE "kata" a person can ACTUALLY learn Tai Chi
if a person cannot find a teacher
and that it is worth learning to redirect people.
I never stated or impled that five minutes of x will make you all fine.

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:52 pm

Dark Guardian wrote:
I have done various forms of Kempo over 10 years.
Parkers understanding of movement, reaction, flow, etc. is fantastic. The slappy American kenpo stuff always drove me nuts though. He got too lost in the details and he missed a lot of the visceral and primal nature of a fight.

We got a class with just him once.

I got two things out if it that are worth the effort.

I had kenpo through three different schools ( with several teachers in each ).
Only one teacher really tailored the moves to each student's gifts or lack thereof.

If I had it to do over, I'd study what the police use + Aikido
but I bring my own skill-set to the table.

If I had to send someone in to learn to fight...teaching a person to punch does not gaurentee that any ol' person comes out
with great fighting skills.

Teaching them to block and/or avoid will keep them standing more often than teaching them to strike.

I find, in Aikido schools, most Americans can, barely, embrace to class-content
but that Tai Chi is a better way to learn Aikido until mental comprehension is past digestion.

My friend, the emergency room nurse for 30 years, says that they get PLENTY of representation
from the karate community in the ER.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:21 am

If you're not ready to ground fight, you're not ready to fight criminals. Love Aikido and Tai Chi to help stay on your feet, and BJJ to go to the ground. There is, however, no perfect mix of styles to guarantee success in patrol confrontations. Do some research. Find out which styles are the most popular in your area and who the most reputable teachers are. Learn from them. People seem to hink that the military training is weak, but it is always evolving. They contract with instructors of many different styles, and send teams specifically to train in a discipline and bring that knowledge to the fight instructors. I have a CAGE and D & B for several reputable contractors that provide all branches with valuable training. Don't worry about one perfect style, or you will never truly be prepared.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:37 am

Rule of thumb, if you aren't getting hit while you do your martial art, you aren't prepared. You need Striking, Ground (to defend in the eventuality, taking an opponent to the ground on the street is an awful life choice) and Self Defense concepts (modern weapons, multiple attackers, strikes against weakpoints - all that stuff that is against the rules in sport fighting). If you're not receiving that training, you're not prepared.

In the end, it's your choice. But insisting to us that you are the legitest of legit fighters may win you the who's coolest on the thread competition (which doesn't exist) and you may find yourself on the bad end of a savage beating. Your life. All I'm doing is offering advice having seen, and trained with, a lot of people with the same styles and similar attitudes.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:27 am

I like that point, Nemesis. If you don't know if you can take a hit, the street is not the place to find out. Fights don't happen at 20 paces, they're very personal. You're going to get hit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 am

Yeah. I've literally heard a person tell an instructor they don't want to be hit, they're only interested in self defense, not fighting. Boy would they be in for a rude awakening. I don't want to get hit with a cushioned glove while wearing a padded helmet, I just want to be able to defend myself in a real fight, heh. Good luck dealing with that punch.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:10 pm

The most actual fights I've ever seen for purusal are contained
in the program called, "Most Shocking".

For any martial artist, it's worth a look
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:15 pm

I do want to put in another comment about landscaping.

Other than going out and finding fights, yard care is a real place to hit hard and use dangerous tools.

Landscaping is the place where I use my martial arts knowledge for hours on end
at full power.

I have to hit as hard as I can repeatedly.
I have to use many weapons that will hurt me if I don't pick them up correctly.
I have to use all of my stamina.
I have to kill things that twist and swing back and have no remorse
and catch my feet and pull back on my tools at odd angles.

I recommend landscaping and yard care as a serious aspect of martial arts training
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:01 pm

I recomend snow shoveling You have to use the shovel to lift heavy chunks of ice you get to tolerate a bit of snow down your back Very Happy You learn to lift with your knees instead of your back You use the shovel to deflect falling ice away from your head You turn at the waist to throw the snow as far as you can with the shovel You also learn how to use punches and kicks to break ice I also do backbreakers (Slam the ice down over one leg or the other to break it in half) I also Throw up chunks of ice and punch ot kick through to shatter them
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:09 pm

YASSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE snow shoveling!!!!!!!!!

We have a huge parking lot and ppl are amazed that I shovel for anyone
but they are weak and they cry
and they use spades and dust pans.

I HAVE AN ORANGE SHOVEL AND A GRAY SHOVEL,
ORANGE SHIRT AND GRAY PANTS!!!!!
...SORELS AND THINSULATE GLOVES.

I tell them that I am an aerobics instructors and that more spots for every mone means more spots for me and that it is selfish of me to take my work out inside with needs like this.
( and, seriously, NOTHING in the gym is as hard as shoveling!!!!)
I need to make a yougtube for good posture!!!!!!

YAY, Polarman, I am your long-lost sister!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:14 pm

lol! okay lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

martial art styles
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next