Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dodging and Fighting from Range

Go down 
+7
arrowdynamic
Ace
pongo
omen
The Black Stampede
Shade
Gauge
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:58 pm

It doesn't work that way. I believe you can edit a post if it's the most recent one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:02 pm

Admin Panel > General > Messages & Emails > Configuration 

First category "Post edit duration limit for a member :" From there you can pick days, hours, and minutes.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:10 pm

That must be new. That wasn't there last time i looked into it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:15 pm

AFAIK that's always been there. Razz
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:17 pm

I say better to air some typoes than let people shoot their mouths off and then change or retract what they said.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:18 pm

That's exactly what happened.
Back to top Go down
pongo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:30 pm

Dodging bullets and listening to safeties being clicked? Hollywood stuff fellas Smile
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:34 pm

When I was training, they taught us about cover and concealment, but I don't recall a segment on dodging bullets or listening for the safety to be disengaged.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:38 pm

Yeah same here.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:52 pm

The Black Stampede wrote:
Ace wrote:
That and most people wont respect you as an RLSH just because you are good at archery, more than likely they'll just criticize you as a "wannabe Green Arrow/HawkEye".
Probably because they most often are.

considering most rlsh are just volunteers with a costume/comic book fetish I hardly think there's anything wrong with that.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Gauge wrote:
When I was training, they taught us about cover and concealment, but I don't recall a segment on dodging bullets or listening for the safety to be disengaged.

...were you training at wannabe batman school or why on earth did u have hearing enhancements in place... Oh wait you didn't.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Taking cover is legitimate police training.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:07 pm

...totally ignored the point
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:24 pm

lol @ "fetish"

...I'm weird.
Back to top Go down
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 pm

arrow, their's a difference between actual training, and a wannabe comic book character skill. With wannabe's, the public doesn't respect them and just sees them as fools. With actual training, you're being realistic, and though the public may not completely respect, they won't just completely laugh at you. You have to be realistic when choosing the right weapon or when going up against a weapon. A person can probably shoot multiple bullets at you without you even having enough time to react, so trying to dodge a bullet would most likely be impossible. And if you're using a bow against someone using a gun, more than likely you'll probably get yourself killed considering the fact someone can pull a trigger much faster than you can load an arrow and actually have enough time to aim and shoot with your bow. I understand you have a passion for archery, but it's not an effective skill in taking down criminals nor will it really help you gain much respect within a large community (such as the RLSH or even in most neighborhoods, unles you became some type of famous archer who broke a world record of some sort).
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:03 pm

very wrong imo.
first of all it was you guys who wanted to discuss dodging bullets, I've stated that its mostly impossible and you should just jump for cover.
second with a lot of training one can shoot up to 3 arrows per second which is similar to rate of fire of pistols.
and considering accuracy, Olympic archers are more accurate at 70m then most people with handguns will ever be at 70m.

I played archery tag yesterday and got 4 headshots. Its great excersize too, running around avoiding arrows. Is it less valuable then a gun? Maybe, but with training unarmed can beat armed so of course armed even with lesser weapons can beat another armed.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Archery is still not relevant to what we do on the streets. I really don't know why you don't understand that.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Most people with handguns on the streets will be more accurate on 70m with a bow than a handgun. It's a short range weapon. Some of them might even be more accurate with the bow than an olympic shooter at that range.

If I remember correctly from my armed days, the barrel angel Glock 17 set to hit stuff at 12,5m, at 70m, it wouldn't hit the target unless the shooter compansate for the gravity, and possibly the rotaton of the projectile.

Handguns are not the best weapon, but at five meters, it'd pick it over anything. And if I got hit with an arrow, I'd shoot them anyway. There is a lot easier to pull a trigger than pulling a bow. A handgun can be consealed, you won't notice it unless you are trained to. A bow is obious, it give NO egde over a handgun, unless you are some psycotic serial killer sneaking up on people unarmed.

I find all the "bow can take somebody with a handgun" ridicoulus in this setting. As a defensive weapon, it's as useless as the Wall Street Movement.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:36 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Archery is still not relevant to what we do on the streets. I really don't know why you don't understand that.

hth skills are also not relevant in many circumstances. If you are going around fighting people you are just breaking the law.

as I have said there is no case short of armed thugs attacking me that would involve me shooting at people with a bow and that is because it is illegal to carry a gun.

still it is a skill and skill makes the man in my opinion. You can say all the centimental stuff you like, like bravery or willingness to help or caring for others is what makes the man
... But in honesty there is nothing special about that everyone should be that way.

and to clear up a possible confusion I have been arching since long before green arrow got a tv show, or Hawkeye was Jeremy Renner, or Kay is existed etc etc. Not before legolas however, not that he was my inspiration.
regardless

who you are does not have to mesh with what you do. The fitness gained from archery and archery-tag and similar war games is more than a good enough reason to participate for rlsh hopefuls.

in addition imo not having a calling card skill means you are just another fish in the ocean, and there's noway a fish is concerning sharks.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:41 pm

its easy to say you would shoot back but a Broadhead in your stomach, chest head or neck would likely quash that notion, at least the notion of your return shot being accurate.
this is conjecture of course and has no relation to actual street patrol.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Man, you are totally kidding yourself. If you were to actually walk the streets with a bow and arrow you would most likely get in trouble, at the very least the cops would tell you to go home.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:47 pm

What country are you in that you can't carry a gun but a bow is just fine?
Back to top Go down
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:08 am

That and even if it is illegal to carry a gun, do you honestly think criminals would really care? And again, it is much MUCH faster to pull a trigger and shoot a bullet than it is to retrieve an arrow, load it onto the bow, aim, steady, and fire. Even an olympic archer would probably lose to a man with a gun, it doesn't matter how much skill one has, you're arm and bowstring is not faster than a finger and a trigger, that simply logic. And say all you want about "the skill makes the man", that doesnt change the fact that if you walk into the streets holding a bow acting like a "hero" that people are just gonna be like "Oh but he has skill, I feel completely safe and I totally think he deserves respect!", no their most likely gonna say "Haha, look at him, a Green Arrow wannabe". Whether you became an archer before the arrow show or not, they'll still see you as a wannabe and a fool for trying to use archery as a weapon to take down crime. Hell most RLSH still get called wannabes because most of them are untrained and plan unrealistic standards. Don't get me wrong I'm an optimist kinda guy for the most part, but I still try to keep reality in check.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:24 am

you guys seem to ignore things I say to better fit your narratives.
a) I don't carry a bow, but my bow is usually in my car as I often go to the range and lessons
b) archery is only my quirk, as I am the rlsh who is an expert archer, that doesn't mean I walk around having duels with armed bandits.
c) still I train to prepare like it could happen because it is better to know how to use what you may have then what you'd never have.
d)Olympic archers have the accuracy but few combine it with the speed shooting skill of someone like Lars Anderson which I am trying to do. With such speed and accuracy a bow could easily outperform many gunmen simply due to its nature. Of course it wouldn't beat a rifle but who has a rifle.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:29 am

Ya know, I used to really like lars anderson, until this tactical combat archer friend of mine broke down one of his videos.  Thebdude uses a childs bow, maybe 15lb draw and giant, oversized custom made speed nocks so he doesn't actually have to NOCK the arrow. I dunno how long you have been in the community but it's pretty arrogant to assume that you are the best archer among us. As far as anyone is concerned it's just talk on your end, as you have provided zero evidence of your skill.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dodging and Fighting from Range
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next