Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dodging and Fighting from Range

Go down 
+7
arrowdynamic
Ace
pongo
omen
The Black Stampede
Shade
Gauge
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:27 pm

That and arrow, we haven't been ignoring you points, you've been ignoring ours. While yes it is better to atleast have some type of weapon (even if it is a bow) while going against a gunmen, that doesn't mean that just because you prepared for it that you'll be able to get through it. That and even the fastest archer could still lose to your average gun men. Like i've said many times before, pulling a trigger is A LOT faster than grabbing your arrow from a quiver and loading it onto your bow. Pulling a trigger takes only a fraction of a second, while loading an arrow and pulling back the bowstring would take atleast a second (even if you were the fastest archer alive). In most cases you could shoot 3-5 bullets before an archer could shoot an arrow.
Back to top Go down
The Black Stampede

The Black Stampede

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:11 pm

"...with a lot of training one can shoot up to 3 arrows per second which is similar to rate of fire of pistols." Yeah, pun not intended, I'm calling bulls*** on that. Only way I can imagine that is if you already have 3 nocked, which means you might fire three arrows per second, but certainly not every second!
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:16 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Thebdude uses a childs bow, maybe 15lb draw
Suspecting somthing like that, but I don't care. The guy is about showmanship. If somebody want to belive it, let them train and figure out for themself. Most martial arts are showmanship nowdays.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:32 am

Equal wrote:
Urban Avenger wrote:
Suspecting somthing like that, but I don't care. The guy is about showmanship. If somebody want to belive it, let them train and figure out for themself. Most martial arts are showmanship nowdays.
I've sparred with a lot of wannabe rlsh who have never done martial arts and its honestly like sparring with children. I usually submit them within a minute.
you can say martial arts is showmanship if you want but in practice that's not really true.
Back to top Go down
Ace

Ace

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:11 am

Exactly what RLSH wannabes have you sparred with? And how do we really even know you yourself know how to spar? Judging by the fact that you used Lars Anderson as one of your main sources/inspirations (who we now know uses a childs bow and uses speed nocks) how do we know you really know martial arts or that you're not doing it for showmanship? Because just a couple posts ago you were talking about how people gain/deserve respect all because of their skilled they are.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Uh yeah.. who exactly?
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:56 pm

arrowdynamic wrote:
Equal wrote:
Urban Avenger wrote:
I've sparred with a lot of wannabe rlsh who have never done martial arts and its honestly like sparring with children. I usually submit them within a minute.
you can say martial arts is showmanship if you want but in practice that's not really true.
I've trained martial arts for 15 years, and I've been fighting enough to know the difference between MA and violence. MA is a product that need marketing like any other product. Back in the days, it was marketed by kicking ass. Nowdays it's marketed by claiming it can kick ass, spiruality and showmanship.

Violence on the other hand, is no crazy talk. No show. It's about kicking ass. What martial arts used to be. You don't learn much of that in a dojo, gym or archery range anymore.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Ace wrote:
Exactly what RLSH wannabes have you sparred with? And how do we really even know you yourself know how to spar? Judging by the fact that you used Lars Anderson as one of your main sources/inspirations (who we now know uses a childs bow and uses speed nocks) how do we know you really know martial arts or that you're not doing it for showmanship? Because just a couple posts ago you were talking about how people gain/deserve respect all because of their skilled they are.
matters not to me if you don't believe the truth.
Lars Anderson can shoot fast and accurately.

using my 32 pound Olympic bow I can shoot about 3 arrows in about 5 seconds.
and this is much improved as it used to be 10.
I believe I can shave it down to 2 seconds within a year.

showmanship or not he showed people that you can shootfast and accurately and that's all that really matters.

as for it being hubris on my part to assume I'm the best rlsh archer, I may not be the best but I'd be willing to accept the challenge of everyone who thinks they re better.
I haven't heard of any other rlsh who train archery with former Olympians, and actually practice combat archery.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Uh.. yeah. And a typical handgun user can empty a 10 round clip in about that time.... hmmm....

But still your words are just words. Nobody cares. And you still didn't explain who these wannabe rlsh were that you sparred with.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Uh yeah.. who exactly?

as to this question, I have auditioned many friends and associates to become partners but none of them had the commitment to do anything other than walk around looking tough...
half are too afraid to spar with anything harder than tip tap strikes.
one friend is skilled at kendo, but due to lack of ability to carry swords skillset seemed not so useful.
as for how do you know I know how to spar?
you dont
I don't know your claims are true either.
still I am a martial artist I don't care if you believe me, I've sparred against enough people to know u trained people are no threat if they are unarmed.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Uh.. yeah. And a typical handgun user can empty a 10 round clip in about that time.... hmmm....

But still your words are just words. Nobody cares. And you still didn't explain who these wannabe rlsh were that you sparred with.

and hit a moving target how many times?
regardless it is irrelevant.
I would be willing to duel with someone using safe arrows, and they could use an airsoft gun. Have done it many times before and won.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:13 pm

As far as training is Concerned i used to train a lot with a SCA group, and I've used the range at the Olympic training center down here. I was pretty good when i was going at a regular basis, but it's just a hobby, and not relevant to this kind of work at all. Dark Wolf, a rlsh in Oregon used to carry a bow. Never heard of him using it, but it was his gimmick. Before my time even.

but the difference between you and me is I can actually show you some of my archery. Target shots, bullseyes, and even a couple of pictures of me holding my bow, out on the street in full gimmick. So in the eyes of the internet, the community,  and this forum, i am an established archer and you're just some anonymous braggart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:30 pm

I always wanted to get into archery. It could be handy if you have to hunt animals and be quiet at the same time, but seriously, don't try to dodge arrows and bullets or take a broadhead to a gunfight, that's just silly.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Silly and crazy are our favorite trademarks.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
As far as training is Concerned i used to train a lot with a SCA group, and I've used the range at the Olympic training center down here. I was pretty good when i was going at a regular basis, but it's just a hobby, and not relevant to this kind of work at all. Dark Wolf, a rlsh in Oregon used to carry a bow. Never heard of him using it, but it was his gimmick. Before my time even.

but the difference between you and me is I can actually show you some of my archery. Target shots, bullseyes, and even a couple of pictures of me holding my bow, out on the street in full gimmick. So in the eyes of the internet, the community,  and this forum, i am an established archer and you're just some anonymous braggart.
hmm, that's really just a technicality.
I think I will start a Youtube account. When I go down to the new Archery Tag field in a few weeks I'll strap the Gopro to my head and show you guys what I'm talking about.
Maybe do the same when I start going down to the outdoor range my commonly again and it's not so cold.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:38 pm

Sounds good to me. Ya gotta understand where a lot of are coming from.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:50 pm

unfortunately I'm not willing to expose my dojo and fellow martial artists to the wide world of RLSH.net so no martial arts videos will be able to be posted, until I am able to maybe train a training partner for rlsh styled specific training.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:19 pm

A few observations. Take them how you will...

1: Any day you can get away with just "walking around looking tough", rather than getting into a fight, is a good day. Martial arts used to be about learning the most efficient ways to incapacitate, injure, or kill. Today, learning how to injure is a legal gray area, and learning how to kill is only an option if you're in the military. Still, most of the martial artists I know say that you learn martial arts to avoid violence. If you can't avoid a fight, you end it as quickly, easily, and preferably, as painlessly as possible; if you can avoid it, you do. The skill isn't in how well you fight; the skill is in winning, without fighting. Getting back to my point, if that means you can win just by walking around looking tough, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, there's a lot right with it.

2: A typical handgun owner can hit a target, mobile or stationary, at least once, in those five seconds, with a ten-round clip. If they train regularly, they can get more than one hit. Even if they don't, and they just find a way to rely on "spray and pray" mentality, one hit is all it takes to end most conflicts involving a firearm, either by causing pain, or injury, or flat-out death. Arrows were made for long-distance fighting, usually hidden, when time is on your side. Bullets, and other more modern projectiles were meant to provide the speed and destruction advantage. If you're making archery part of your identity, that's up to you, but be sure you're in a position to use it reasonably and effectively. You probably won't need to kill someone with an arrow, and I'm not aware of any effective use of a boxing-glove arrow against a criminal.

3: If you're worried about anonymity, there are plenty of ways you can protect peoples' identities, including your own. In fact, there's a couple reliable Facebook groups of martial artists - Bullshit Martial Arts, and Not Bullshit Martial Arts, - you could send the videos into, for a more professional opinion, and just post their replies on them here. Screencaps, am I right? Those groups have members from all kinds of martial art disciplines, including Karate, TKD, JKD, Arnis, Escrima, Bujinkan, etc. Not many high ranks, but high enough to know what they're talking about.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:51 pm

I actually had an idea to make pepper all arrows, but I cannot legally import them into my country.
but I am logical enough that I would never stand out in the open and try to zig zag through an entire handgun clip. I would run to the nearest cover, load an arrow and fire it into the chest. If that scenario happened, and it never would.
as for the anonymity thing, you could just load up the fb page yourself and see exactly who I am...
dont like that idea.
if I ever get into,a competition ill share the footage.
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:45 am

I had an idea to stick an XREP TASER shotgun slug on the end of an arrow.

Paintball is another good way to learn about cover, concealment and position.

I'm sure there are some countries you could open-carry a bow and arrow and use it for self-defense. Like, there's parts of Africa where they still go to war with arrows when they can't afford AK-47s.
Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Uploadfile%5C2009224151439892
Man, what I could do if I could teach them volley archery, like Crecy, and broadheads and pavises.

Part of the Filipino martial arts, tapon-tapon, is a large part throwing rocks. I remember reading about a duel fought by one of the old masters, where the other guy brought two friends who threw rocks during the fight.

And besides, you gotta watch out for those damn BOTTLE KIDS!
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:11 am

In Israel, kids still plink cans off of walls with slings and stones. Those things can do a surprising amount of damage. Not as much as a .22, but they're still somewhat effective
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Zen archery can be a powerful tool for self-development.
Eugen Herrigel's "Zen In The Art Of Archery" is considered the seminal work on the subject. 
You know, if you ignore the whole Nazi thing... (whistles and walks away)
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:22 pm

Was this topic ever relevant?
Back to top Go down
Cornelius Brunner

Cornelius Brunner

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:38 pm

It used to be.
Then it took an arrow to the knee! (runs away)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dodging and Fighting from Range   Dodging and Fighting from Range - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dodging and Fighting from Range
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4