Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Martial Art?

Go down 
+27
JohnDoe
Midnite Detective
RedLight
patchwork
Red Falcon
The Jinn
Black Cat
Vulpo
Night Stryder
Rogue
thanatos
Paladin
Chivalry
Crossfire the Crusader
Sleepless
E0N (Inactive)
Flora V. Arbor
Zimmer
Krystalline
RobertHood
NightAngel
Gauge
Jack Shadow
Short Cut
Equal
Red Dragon
Dark Guardian
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Rogue

What Martial Art? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:07 am

Do whatever you can. If it's Judo, or Akido, or Kickboxing, if that's all you have access to, do it. I'm not saying it's necessarily going to teach you how to fight well, but any workout system like that is going to improve your strength, flexibility, focus, and balance. Those are all things that will help you out tons when you do get the chance to learn a technique for fighting well. I kinda agree with Zimmer on this. Don't learn a martial art. Learn how to fight well and defend yourself well. If it means taking a bit of Judo, Krav Maga, Tai Chi, yoga, boxing, and a little parkour for when you realize you need to run, then so be it. Don't tie yourself down to one technique because no single martial art is going to fully cover what you need to know.

If you're a "tank" I'm assuming you can put on a decent amount of muscle (I'm a tall "tank" and I know I can). Use that to your advantage. Most people don't expect a short girl to pack a punch.

Random side note, love the quotes in your sig Smile

~Rogue
Back to top Go down
Krystalline

Krystalline

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:49 am

Rogue wrote:
Random side note, love the quotes in your sig Smile

~Rogue

Thank you Rogue.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'll take the classes that I can get my school to offer and aim for more dojos once I get in an area that has good ones, which will hopefully be when I can afford to study at one.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:21 pm

If you pick up aikido, make sure you come to understand irimi nage. There is a lot to learn from it, defently my fav.
Back to top Go down
Night Stryder

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Real Shaolin kung fu, any style, because each is a complete system to cover any mode of attack and defense, both unarmed, or with any kind of weapon.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:16 pm

@ Night Stryder: have you seen "Deadliest Warrior"?

Shaolin took down Maori
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:

Shaolin took down Maori
I've never taken that show seriously before. I usually just watch it when I want something to laugh at.
Back to top Go down
Black Cat

Black Cat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:32 pm

I personally don't have a style, what I do have is a mix of karate, greco-roman wrestling, and military cqc(more specifically marine corps line combat). To me this is probably the best mix to have, but since I employ stealth tactics in my work I really try to avoid confrontation. Take out the guys one at a time, zip tied, usually the last guy is so freaked out he's not so easy to drop. This is when a confrontation usually occurs. But its one on one, and easier to focus on without other guys interrupting.

This works for me and I do teach it to kids who are victims of bullies.

But if I was to suggest a martial art, it'd be a defense art like wrestling(lucha libre if you want some flash), sumo is actually useful even for women, sambo, or the like.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:47 pm

You obviously don't advise kids to hunt down bullies commando style and zip tie them, right? In what ways do you modify that strategy so that minors aren't committing felonies against other kids?
Back to top Go down
Black Cat

Black Cat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Gauge wrote:
You obviously don't advise kids to hunt down bullies commando style and zip tie them, right? In what ways do you modify that strategy so that minors aren't committing felonies against other kids?

Obviously I dont teach dangerous stuff such as that. But, I do teach how to throw a punch, defense, and general takedowns.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 am

Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiujitsu are in my top two, the edge to Brazilian Jiujitsu. Less Killtastic than Krav Maga.

Judo, Boxing and Escrima.

For the sheer Zen of it Kyudo.
Back to top Go down
Red Falcon

Red Falcon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:08 am

My Papa taught for me to use Aikido. However, I never use it. Babies make no time for fighting.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:10 am

Babies are like that. We're you born in Krefeld?
Back to top Go down
Red Falcon

Red Falcon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 am

The Jinn wrote:
Babies are like that. We're you born in Krefeld?

Berlin, I move to Krefeld when I was married. My Grandparents left Lebanon with my mother when she was a girl. My mother married a German man and had me and my brother Ali. My mother is Muslim, My father is Atheist, but he is kind and my Grandfather gets along with him.
Back to top Go down
Red Falcon

Red Falcon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:24 am

For Americans, are not there many guns in America?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:18 pm

many guns, many rules, many rules broken
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Red Falcon wrote:
My Papa taught for me to use Aikido.
Good. To few teach how to use aikido. Most sensei teach how to preform aikido.
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:54 pm

unfortunately i have no formal ma background. fortunately for me i taught myself

to put it simply my best friend is in kung fu. he is the best at his school. right now we are evenly matched. although his body size tilts the number of spar wins in his favor, its tough being small

Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:58 pm

I don't know much about kung fu, but chinese MA seem to favor physical training over training effective technices.
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:08 pm

hmmmm... kung fu is actually good about that. its easy to learn, after all they teach it to their children. its fun and it keeps you in shape.

on that note its lethal as well.

I've experimented with many martial arts forms in my self teaching. for those who cannot afford to take lessons or don't have time, just study online, watch instructional videos
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:12 pm

yah, Tai Chi on-line is totally accessable more so than other forms
Back to top Go down
RedLight

RedLight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Physical training is important with any fighting skill. The focus falls there because a regimen of working out builds more than muscle mass and strength. It builds discipline. Tai Chi is a great start if you haven't gotten into any martial arts training yet. It's harder than it looks! You'll work muscles you forgot you had!
Back to top Go down
Night Stryder

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Flora V. Arbor wrote:

Shaolin took down Maori

Yes, however I was not impressed by how petty the Shaolin exponent was. I was expecting the Maori to get a "Zen slap" for all his big mouthing, but the Shaolin guy was just as bad if not worse.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:07 pm

RedLight wrote:
Physical training is important with any fighting skill. The focus falls there because a regimen of working out builds more than muscle mass and strength. It builds discipline.
I have no problem with physical training, but when a MA is based on getting strong and fit, I'd rather spend my time training effective technices and find other ways to get stronger.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 am

Night Stryder wrote:
Flora V. Arbor wrote:

Shaolin took down Maori

Yes, however I was not impressed by how petty the Shaolin exponent was. I was expecting the Maori to get a "Zen slap" for all his big mouthing, but the Shaolin guy was just as bad if not worse.

It was also just a simulation. It totally takes human emotion out of the equation as well as conditional factors of each warriors life. Those shows are basically a comparative of weapons.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:15 am

The Jinn wrote:
It was also just a simulation. It totally takes human emotion out of the equation as well as conditional factors of each warriors life. Those shows are basically a comparative of weapons.
But their methods for testing weapons are also a joke, since they never test any of the weapons on equal terms, and often the weapons that are tested are quite crappy. Every time a sword came on to the screen I'd roll my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 5 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What Martial Art?
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next