Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Martial Art?

Go down 
+27
JohnDoe
Midnite Detective
RedLight
patchwork
Red Falcon
The Jinn
Black Cat
Vulpo
Night Stryder
Rogue
thanatos
Paladin
Chivalry
Crossfire the Crusader
Sleepless
E0N (Inactive)
Flora V. Arbor
Zimmer
Krystalline
RobertHood
NightAngel
Gauge
Jack Shadow
Short Cut
Equal
Red Dragon
Dark Guardian
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

What Martial Art? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:38 am

Double Helix wrote:
The Jinn wrote:
It was also just a simulation. It totally takes human emotion out of the equation as well as conditional factors of each warriors life. Those shows are basically a comparative of weapons.
But their methods for testing weapons are also a joke, since they never test any of the weapons on equal terms, and often the weapons that are tested are quite crappy. Every time a sword came on to the screen I'd roll my eyes.

I agree. So many things aren't taken into consideration. Even if you say it's the absolute best warrior of one style and era and put them against another and even if you give them the absolute best weaponry for their respective times, there are intangibles to take into account. In the right situation, a man with a rapier might decimate a quality warrior with a long sword. The long sword may be capable of doing more damage, but the mind wielding it may be slower than the mind controlling the rapier.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 am

The Jinn wrote:
In the right situation, a man with a rapier might decimate a quality warrior with a long sword. The long sword may be capable of doing more damage, but the mind wielding it may be slower than the mind controlling the rapier.
I actually immediately imagined a man with a rapier fighting a longswordsman in a tight alleyway.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Double Helix wrote:
The Jinn wrote:
In the right situation, a man with a rapier might decimate a quality warrior with a long sword. The long sword may be capable of doing more damage, but the mind wielding it may be slower than the mind controlling the rapier.
I actually immediately imagined a man with a rapier fighting a longswordsman in a tight alleyway.

One good example. Or in a forest with alot of trees. Mobility is a major advantage of a rapier over a long sword. Speed of attack is another. One miss with the long sword opens the attacker to a quick counterstrike from the rapier. The longswordman will have a difficult time countering the thrust.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:24 pm

The Jinn wrote:
Double Helix wrote:
The Jinn wrote:

One good example. Or in a forest with alot of trees. Mobility is a major advantage of a rapier over a long sword. Speed of attack is another. One miss with the long sword opens the attacker to a quick counterstrike from the rapier. The longswordman will have a difficult time countering the thrust.
But if he does manage to do so, it might be somewhat easy to break the blade of the rapier. However, I think there's little doubt that a rapier is much more optimized for duels than a longsword which was designed for the battlefield.
Back to top Go down
The Jinn

The Jinn

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Double Helix wrote:
The Jinn wrote:
Double Helix wrote:
The Jinn wrote:

But if he does manage to do so, it might be somewhat easy to break the blade of the rapier. However, I think there's little doubt that a rapier is much more optimized for duels than a longsword which was designed for the battlefield.

True that. Each weapon has it's place of usefulness.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:01 pm

they run 1000 simulations just FOR these arguments

their decision for Maori vs Shaolin was based on the Shaolin having more traning and steel weapons

some decisions were slammed -some weren't bad
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:19 pm

thing is i don't like to talk about my martial arts. i used to get allot of guff when i would say i have my own unique style, and that im self taught. my discipline is a formal one but its my own

while i can stand up to my black belt friend i still feel out of place at competitions. it saddens me because i love to talk about martial arts but i cant really contribute to this thread. my martial arts is tailored to me. and nobody else has ever used it so its not fit to be shared. im not sure anyone else can even use it.

my best recommendation is judo or tai chi
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Patchwork, competitions are not fighting

if you can hang with the blackbelts, you're aok
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:22 pm

patchwork wrote:
thing is i don't like to talk about my martial arts. i used to get allot of guff when i would say i have my own unique style, and that im self taught. my discipline is a formal one but its my own

while i can stand up to my black belt friend i still feel out of place at competitions. it saddens me because i love to talk about martial arts but i cant really contribute to this thread. my martial arts is tailored to me. and nobody else has ever used it so its not fit to be shared. im not sure anyone else can even use it.

my best recommendation is judo or tai chi
There's nothing wrong with that man. It's just called freestyle. A custom tailored martial art style is the best thing a practitioner can have.
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:35 pm

thanks, i only wish i could contribute more to this topic. seraph knows no martial arts or self defense so ive taken to teaching him small things, like how to win a fight before it starts, or how to fight off a dog attack
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:36 pm

whew!! good stuff!!!

please share for dog attack
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:58 pm

simple really. 3 main steps. this is assuming that the dog is now charging at you. you couldn't avoid the dog and its running at you.

i don't like animal violence or killing animals so this 3 step procedure is meant to avoid or prevent harm being done to the animal.

first thing, the dog is coming at you. you don't wait for the dog to get to you, first things first you step toward the dog and bring yourself to your full height, make a loud noise. in most cases this will make the dog stop in his tracks, it shows that your not one to mess with and that if he goes for this he is going in to a fight

second, unfortunately some dogs are bread and trained to fight. this is a cruel reality of our world. if the dog does not stop you now have 2 options, this is the first. say its a small dog no bigger than you knee. what you need to do is put your foot, as long as your wearing a shoe or boot, in front of it. the dog will bite the first thing it can. if it decideds it doesent want to bite your shoe then it will instead get a face full of it. thus you have just planted your foot either a: in the dogs mouth. or b: on the dogs face. either way what you want to do next is thrust your foot against them, pushing their jaws or head violently away. this will either make the dogs jaw mucles pull or knock the dog away.

third, say said dog is bigger than your knee, you have one option now. there realy is no other way. a dog this big will most likely go for your chest. this is said dogs undoing. this is unfortunate and the dog most likely wont escape unharmed. as the dog is about to leap he is generally about 4 to 5 feet away. what you need to do is kick the dogs neck or head. im not talking a love tap. if done right the dog will in fact either be knocked out or worst case the dogs wind pipe will be collapsed.

lastly if you did not manage to do these 3 steps in time and the dog is on you, you can still win. you are going to take some serious damage tho.

what you need to do at this point is occupy the dogs mouth with your forearm. stuff your forearm in the dogs face, shove against the dog till the dog takes hold of you there. with your other arm its time to do work on the dog, don't let him let go of your arm. at this point your arm is a calculated loss. no damage to your arm will be permanent, get medical attention after you punch the dog out.
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:01 pm

if you don't stop the dog he will go for your neck. get your forearm in his mouth or better yet, stop him in mid leap before he get there
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:50 pm

whew, not easy but true.

the shoe one is good but be sure to wear good shoes

letting the good get a mouthfull of jacket or purse might be good too, yes>?

Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:15 pm

yea if they will go for it. fighting dogs are trained to go for the neck tho. however the idea is that if you batter them enough with that one arm they will start to get annoyed with it and go for it. if the dog gets you by the neck im not sure what you can do.

some say to hold still so it thinks your dead, im not too sure about that strategy tho
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 am

With all of my being, i will that none of us will ever have a dog's teeth in neck
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:07 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
With all of my being, i will that none of us will ever have a dog's teeth in neck
That's something I used to have nightmares about as a kid.
I think the whole thing with shoving the forearm in the dog's jaw would be exponentially easier if wearing bracers of some kind.
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:49 am

lol face it bro, its the same as a knife fight. you must come to the conclusion that your going to take losses. your not jason bourne.

yes if you happen to have bracers they good for you, but if you don't and your not looking forward to sacrificing your arm, take the dog out before it touches you
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:59 am

patchwork wrote:
lol face it bro, its the same as a knife fight. you must come to the conclusion that your going to take losses. your not jason bourne.

yes if you happen to have bracers they good for you, but if you don't and your not looking forward to sacrificing your arm, take the dog out before it touches you
I have faced it... I'm not sure what you're implying, I was just looking at a bright side, but if I weren't wearing bracers then I'd still sooner injure my arm to save my neck.
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:42 pm

anyways, same tactics with a knife fight. when you find yourself in a knife fight and have no way out of it, the only way to be sure your not going to die is to use your arm as a shield. ideally you don't want to get stabbed, but like i said, nobody is jason bourne here.

once you take his knife to the arm, your free to use your knife.

this sounds harsh but its the only sure way to survive. arms are easily fixed by doctors, heads and organs are not. get medical attention immediately afterwards.

thankfully its not likely that many of us will find ourselves in a knife fight
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:43 pm

But if the guy has a machete then you're screwed.
Back to top Go down
patchwork

patchwork

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:56 pm

..... no then you have a chance. machetes have a longer blade, you can track their movements and they cant be used to stab. keep that in mind. when you know the nature of a blade you can predict its movements.

machete is a slashing and hacking weapon. stabs with it are useless.
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:58 pm

just read a part of this in regards to dogs..

NEVER, never use your arm or offer it to the dog to bite. this is done in training wearing special padding and protection. even with bracers this is just a bad idea. don't fight the dog like a dog. fight the dog as if fighting a man.

if the dog is charging first try to stop him with a quick kick to the lower jaw. the bodes are small enough that a really good kick can break the jaw and this will stop the attack before it gets close.

if the dog raises or leaps for the throat grab with both hands just to the rear of the skull wher the neck mucsles are and turn the animal away from you. thenchock or stangle.

wresting techniques work best, dont try to box or kick box as animals can quickly dodge and move in for the bite.

if the animal is injured and retreats, do not pursue as wounded and chased can make any animal that much more dangerous.

fighting a dog or animal is not nice and it's all or nothing. if your not prepared to kill the animal outright then dont attempt to fight it.

when faced with the possiblility of a dog attack I carry flexable steel knitting needles about 18 inches long. stab upwards from the lower abdomen or just below the rib cage and insert all the way. the needle will pass through any organ and will bend and curve back against the spinal region to pierce lungs and heart.

this is how I was trained in the army and past experience has proven it works. sorry. not nice stuff but I dont want anyone to loose a arm or worse trying anything. if yur not sure then dont.
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:01 pm

patchwork is correct in yu have to stop the fight before it begins.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:20 pm

That's very informative Thanatos, I'd never found any material that teaches to handle it that way, but it seems to make more sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Martial Art?   What Martial Art? - Page 6 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What Martial Art?
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next