Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

martial art styles

Go down 
+20
Polarman
Sleepless
Blue Alpha
Gauge
Dark Guardian
JohnDoe
Psyphon
TheCheshireCat
Zimmer
Justice258
Prof. Midnight
Midnite Detective
dcguardian
Citizen
Flora V. Arbor
Red Dragon
Superhero
Equal
E0N (Inactive)
NightAngel
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
NightAngel

NightAngel

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 am

if u can learn any martial art style? ancient to new what would it be and why?
Back to top Go down

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:50 am

Not sure. Something military based definitely. Systema or Krav Maga or Army combatives or something. My MMA is well rounded but sport oriented, so I'd like something to make it more street combat compatible.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Army combatives is just jujitsu, basically.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 pm

I train anything as long as the instructor ain't some talentless wierdo living in a fantasy world.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:41 pm

I took varying martial arts in the early 90's, I liked Jeet Kune do the best Because I'm big enough & strong enough to stay in the center & combat somebody (Like when you see a guy working on a wing chung dummy) But different arts work better for different people, try a mix. I just mentioned in another thread I'm better off trying to grab someone than punch back & forth with them. You may be different (& quicker)

But Honestly I didn't really learn how to F*&^ing end somebody til I went to Pro wrestling school. If you find a good school that's old school & you can learn from a guy who learned from "Carnival Shooters" you will know how to kill with your thumbs & that's no exaggeration.

A lot of the martial arts pros know are ole Indian Martial arts (Which is where martial arts started anyway) Pressure points & locks.

Don't ever believe any of that "It's fake" horse shit.
Back to top Go down
NightAngel

NightAngel

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:29 pm

@super hero haha thanks for that
Back to top Go down

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 pm

E0N wrote:
Army combatives is just jujitsu, basically.

Well that's genuinely disappointing.
Back to top Go down
Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Yes, Army combatives was extremely disappointing.

Honestly, I'd stick with Combat Sambo and maybe augment it with some Judo and Kali.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Midnight Detective has a some ruthless stuff.

If you can get someone to teach you the
martial applications of Tai Chi,
that is good too.

...ruthless and ALL defense - you just make the other person commit
to the move and then take them some place that they didn't want to go

Last edited by Flora V. Arbor on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Citizen

Citizen

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39 am

I've done many martial arts over the years, Aikido, various forms of Karate, various forms of Judo & Wushu.

Eventually I settled on Muay Thai & I have never been happier or felt more like a badass.

It works for me because I am reasonably muscular without being so over-burdened that I can't move swiftly. Even won a few tournaments here in Europe. Then tried to go to a tournament in Thailand & got knocked out cold in the first round of my third match.

Lesson learned: Do NOT fight crime in Thailand. They will bust your head open with relative ease.

Citizen.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:28 pm

never assume that "big" can't move swiftly.

"Tall" can be slow
but in ONE step they can be MUCH closer than you might be expecting
Back to top Go down

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:49 pm

i'm going to tell you how to do it with no fancy names.
i know not many have had the luxury of having to fight for there life for real but i have.people don't beleve me but i promise it's true.without the long story
i advise atleast competition fighting for real experience.
still for those just starting out i recommend learning your abilities that your body is more made for.the big person is more the grappler while the medium man is fast .thats just a vague example.long ago i started mixing my martial arts.people asked what art form i study.i told them i have designed my own, a combination of many things but effective.
i then was challenged to fight a match at the kung fu class.no one could beat me so i got kicked out.
since then i have taught many my fighting skills and use of untraditional weapons.i call it the way of the diamond spirit.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 pm

A lot like the Iron Paw. But I don‘t consider it a marial art since it got all to moves from other styles, and it‘s not a cultural phenomenon. It‘s more a personal expression of voilence. And I really just named is something because the nature of ot is so ugly it needed a little twist of humor.
Back to top Go down
dcguardian

dcguardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:34 pm

i've checked out several over the years. . .and each has presented some good things. . .i've always come back to my first love. . .ninjutsu. . .that's the name it started out as. . .now it's called taijutsu. . .i've had to use it in the streets. . .and in the field. . .i'm comfortable with it. . .and i keep wanting to learn more. . .whichever you choose. . .don't dog other arts. . .each one has lasted this long because it works for some people. . .wrestlers are good because they know their art. . .TKD masters are good because they know their art. . .regardless of what you practice. . .make sure you practice. . .and never. . .ever think you have the best art. . .the best weapon. . .you will. . .at the worst time come up against someone better. . .or faster. . .or a better shot. . .be willing to lose your weapons. . .lose your technique. . .and understand if you keep your head about you. . .you can survive most anything. . .

dc
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Way of the Diamond Spirit,
Person Expression of Violence
and love all styles.

Do you guys see whay I love you?
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:42 am

The creativeness of our crazyness?
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:47 am

Flora V. Arbor wrote:
Midnight Detective has a some ruthless stuff.

Thank you Flora.
I had also played around with JKD (yes I'm a nut for Bruce Lee too) and am heading back in that direction for distance and movement trainings. I can still still snap kick and side kick with a six foot height but we'll save that for show and not a brawl. Not bad for a fat man eh? Smile

I'm also working on getting loosened up. I'm stiff from a couple of years inactivity and injuries.
Long hard road, but I'm dedicated.

And the WWII combatives are still some of simplest, straightforward, easiest to train, and effective techniques IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:39 am

I train the Inosanto blend of kali/JKD. I like it because it teaches you to keep what works for you and discard what does not. Of course, this requires you to sample many martial arts to see what works.

Back to top Go down
Justice258

Justice258

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:49 am

Don't just stay fixed to one, but wait 2 years to switch, or until you feel like you can benefit mixing it up somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Wed May 04, 2011 12:37 am

Watch out for the popular ones. You live under a system of capitalism, and they want your money. So when Krav got popular, guess what? Lots of shitty Krav places popped up.

What they call what they're teaching you is irrelevant. You need to learn the manipulation of distance. You need to know close combat grappling. You need to know ground fighting. You need to know punches, kicks, blocks and dodges. You need to learn vital targets and practice destroying them. You need to learn how to do joint locks, grabs and throws. If a style can cover these bases well, you've hit gold.
Back to top Go down
TheCheshireCat

TheCheshireCat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Wed May 04, 2011 1:43 am

Bartitsu oddly enough works very well for me, having a background of a few years in MMA I realy dug it.

Also, there is something to be said about straight up scrapping.

Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Okay second thread I'm posting on. Please don't shoot me if I step on anyone's toes but I have some input on this subject. I'd say the real question is really two questions.

How long are you willing to commit? and How fast do you want to be effective?

All statements hereafter are under the assumption that you can find a real school that teaches the following styles instead of a McDojo.

If you are looking for a quick fix then the more modern martial arts are what you're after. MMA being the leader with all it's component martial arts in second place. they will make you the most effective in the shortest period of time.

Traditional hard style Korean and Japanese arts like karate and tae kwon do will be your second tier. If you study them for 7-8 years they will be more effective than the previous styles. takes much longer to become proficient with them, but they have a higher potential than the more time/technique efficient martial arts from the previous tier.

Heavy military martial arts (I'm not talking about the sad American military training ... I went through that and it was a joke) old and new such as muay thai and krav will be your next step up. They are kinda a middle ground though. they are easier to get functional in that the previous tier oddly enough, but they take years of conditioning to really use correctly. This is very evident when you see anyone from outside Thailand try to fight anyone who grew up doing muay thai in Thailand in a muay thai match.

Soft Chinese arts are really the ultimate in martial arts .... if you started when you were 7-8 years old .... and are planning on training for 20-30 years at least. They will lose to almost all of the aforementioned martial arts on a time trained vs. time trained basis until they are mastered, but when they are mastered they cannot be beaten with any consistancy. Examples of martial arts in this category are wing chun, combat tai chi (there is debate as to whether yang or chen style tai chi is superior for combat) and bagua zhang (the original internal martial art that was based on the yin yang)

Last edited by Psyphon on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:10 am

I'm no martial arts master or anything but I feel ninjutsu has a nice balance of lethality and evasiveness. It mostly focuses on the most effective ways to either render someone unconscious/dead and sneaking/escaping.
Back to top Go down
Psyphon

Psyphon

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:43 am

Ninjitsu is only taught in one place in the U.S. You'll have to look into Stephan K. Hayes' school in Dayton Ohio. The schools web-address is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Please keep in mind this is not the ninjitsu you see in the movies. Actually NOTHING is like the ninjisu you see in the movies. Not only has the style itself been modified to fit a more culturally adequate comfort level (as so many other martial arts have broken with tradition to do), but it was never the mystical super-shadow warrior style it's made out to be. If you look into what little historical evidence there is regarding ninjas you'll find that they were almost like the precursors to modern secret agents. Yes they did sneak around in the dark ... but they were much more likely to be hiding in plain view among a crowd ... yeah they had cool gadgets and awesome fighting techniques ... but they were much more likely to just poison someone. They were very utilitarian, not just in the martial arts, but in all other aspects of espionage and assassination. You can think of them kinda like a "jack of all trades but master of few" type of scenario.
Back to top Go down
Dark Guardian

Dark Guardian

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Practicality, reality, application, and evolution are what is necessary in a martial art.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

martial art styles Empty
PostSubject: Re: martial art styles   martial art styles Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

martial art styles
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next