Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question of Practical Application

Go down 
+3
thanatos
Urban Avenger
Hazmat
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Question of Practical Application Empty
PostSubject: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:25 pm

I was on my way into work a bit before 18:00 hrs and headed into the back door of my building when I see a guy in the ally face down. It happens from time to time that transients shelter in the deeply recessed doorways there but not just face down on the pavement like that. I approach this guy and speak loudly enough to elicit a reaction. Its obvious that he is very drunk and has gone to the bathroom on himself. I manage to get him sat upright because he initially just rolled onto his back and that is about the worst position he could be in.

So I call him some medical because alcohol poisoning can kill even the most seasoned drinker and this guy has seriously exceeded the recommended dosage. All at once I think – what if I was on a patrol? How do I get the 911 operator to take me seriously and not think its some sort of prank or something? -

What has been your experience with this sort of thing and how do you approach it in a way that doesn’t frustrate or confuse the person taking the call?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:28 pm

you call 911, while on the phone, go back into your place of business and ask someone else to call 911. persistence pays off. when we've come across people like this on patrol (its usually way more crowded) we get several people to make the same call.
Back to top Go down
thanatos

thanatos

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 am

I've simply reported things and when asked myname I either say I wan to be anonomous or I give them the Thantos name. I used to have to explain myself but it seems like the operators here, they wll work aout of one central location, seem to know who I am now so it's not a problem

they will always take you seriously and respond even if theycant figure out who or what you are. be patient and maybe get a clean phone assigned to yoru RLSH name so it shows up on their call display.
Back to top Go down
Max

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:22 am

I generally give them my real name. Bypasses the uncomfortable questions and the doubt on their part, and cuts to the chase, getting this person help. Then again, I patrol in civvies and in my own personal car, so giving my name as Max Mercury would be a little goofy.
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:54 am

You simply state that you have come across an individual who appears to have fallen and may have injured himself. State that the person appears to have been drinking and is unresponsive or only mildly responsive and that you are concerned for his life. The 911 operator cannot see you through the phone so they have no idea if you are dressed in a suit, coveralls, scrubs, or whatever so they have no idea that you ARE a RLSH unless you waste time telling them about YOURSELF instead of helping the injured party. Also ask for a police officer to be sent so they can take the man somewhere that he can be observed (for his safety) if the ambulance doesnt want to take him or if he refuses or becomes combattive.

I've had to do this many times over the years at the motels Ive worked...its pretty basic.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:09 am

Yeah I have called 911 more times than I can remember. I just realized that after they get the details they always start asking for the callers name, how they came to the scene, the number being called from (when using a cell phone) etc.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:44 am

When you call 9-1-1 you just give them the story. They will ask follow up questions for clarification and additional information. If they ask your name, tell them you wish to remain anonymous. I would refrain from telling them whom to send. They have set procedures and will likely be sending a police unit along with an ambulance if the man is unresponsive. The paramedics will check his blood alcohol content and blood sugar and decide if he should go to the hospital or the drunk tank.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Salem Oregon's 911 dispatch always answers with "911 what is the nature of your emergency?"
At this point they pretty much want you to say Police, Fire or Medical.

Then they want an address. Even if you tell them "there is a dead zebra in the the middle of the intersection of Main Street and 15th" they will ask "what's the address please" every time. Its strange.

Then they tell you the instant a unit is rolling and want you to stay on the line to answer all sorts of other stuff. I never had an issue with it until I thought -so...do I just tell them LOL- I got to thinking about it and maybe they should just get used to getting calls from Hazmat. In time they will start thinking -OK we know this guy and he is squared away- or something.
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Im with Thanatos on this one except for 1 weird thing There is no 911 anywhere in Nunavut I highly doubt that there is a 911 service in the NWT or the yukon area I might be wrong on the 2 latter areas but there was no 911 in Yellowknife the last time I passed through there
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 pm

If you call them with well-organized details about the emergency, they shouldn't have too many additional questions. But it is best to let them just ask their questions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question of Practical Application   Question of Practical Application Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Question of Practical Application
Page 1 of 1