Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".

Go down 
+10
Jack Shadow
Vulpo
The Reverend
Urban Avenger
E0N (Inactive)
Zimmer
Gauge
Hazmat
Equal
JohnDoe
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JohnDoe

Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Empty
PostSubject: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:34 am

I have been conceptualizing what it would take for me to become a "RLSH" of notable stature, both in terms of mental and physical competency. I have been closely monitoring this community in order to better understand this movement and I have decided it's time to get serious. I am finally ready to begin aggressively training myself both mentally and physically but I first wanted to ask you heroes a quick question.

How much did you train to get where you are and how long did it take to get there, approximately?

I do wish to point out that this question is preferably directed at those with a more crime-fighting/hands-on approach but input from other heroes that do outreach through handouts and such will still be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by JohnDoe on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:48 am

It will depend on where you stand and how fit you want to become. And you should know that the training never ends. Once you stop using it, you're losing it.

Why do you want to be a crime fighter? Reason I'm asking is that you won't get well prepeared unless you're well motivated.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:57 am

As far as motivation for doing what I want to do... I guess I need to prove to myself and the rest of the world that people can still rely on an icon that, even in the slimmest of changes, might encourage others to help me change the world.

For the time being, I'm not necessarily trying to become either a crime fighter or an outreach agent. I just understand that to be effective at what a hero does I should become extrememly competent both mentally and physically.

If I am to do outreach instead of crime-fighting, I'd still rather be in good enough shape so that I can carry my own weight and that of others.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:11 am

You got a seed there. Good deeds will fertilize it.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:18 am

I am aware I may be hoping for too much and hope without will turns into nothing but mere wishing. Your comment just gave me some much needed will. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:59 am

For me “training” was/is often something I get paid to do. The Infantry was a great thing for me and really straightened me out. But when I left the Army I found that there was not a really big market for soldiering in the civilian world. I took a security job while attending school to continue my education so I could get a decent job. I started out like everyone does in the industry. Sitting alone at some construction site watching a pile of lumber all night. It was pretty easy and a guy could get a lot of studding done during a shift. But it didn’t pay well and it was boring. I realized I liked security work in general and that if I was ever going to make any money at it I better make myself more marketable.

So I went to a place called The Academy of Professional Protective Services. This was pretty expensive but I learned so much and got to do some unbelievably cool stuff while there. Much of what I was taught there will serve me well the rest of my life.

From there I just kept finding projects to expand my knowledge. Be it subject control and take-down training, ASP certification, OC certification, Armed carry certification etc. Basically I just keep looking for stuff to learn. Me and The Reverend are looking at getting recertified in first aid CPR soon. A perk is that I can almost always claim these courses on my taxes because they are job related.

The training never ends because there is always something new to learn and some stuff you have learned previously to practice.

Just figure out where you want to go with it and enjoy getting there.

Last edited by Hazmat on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:12 pm

If your motivation for doing this is to inspire others to help change the world, then I think your dedication will wane when you see that results don't come as quickly as you hope. If you can find motivation in simply helping people and protecting them, you will be much happier. There is no guarantee that you will enjoy the type of exposure and media success that a few other rlsh have, so let your motivation spring from your own potential to do good, and not from the hope that you will reach others. Not saying you shouldn't want to or try to reach them, just dont make it your main goal. IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Zimmer

Zimmer

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:20 pm

Have you helped anyone, ever, with anything?

If you have, awesome. If you haven't, maybe an opportunity for growth.

I've been active in RLSH work for 5 years and was physically doing missions for 4 years before my injury. In that time, I stopped several assaults, helped in emergency trauma and medical situations and done extensive research to plan mission assignments for RLSH across the country. I'm a proficient martial artist, engineer, traceur, EMT and researcher. I've invented several gadgets for the field, including built in knee pad pants for parkour, weaponizing light with the North Star, a wearable solar panel for survival scenarios and the source code for programming hypnotic brain waves with Mitch Altman's Trip Glasses. I currently organize The Oracle Project, a 400+ page encyclopedia for RLSH researchers.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:23 pm

There's no standard amount of training, JD. You can start tonight -- just keep whatever you do within the limits of your ability to do it safely. Train as you go. Later you can do more.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Geeze I dunno. I guess you have to define what you want to be. Its all very relative. I guess you could say for me, since I sort of "hit the ground running" from the moment of conceptualizing my RLSH persona and becoming established was only a few months. I've technically been "training" for most of my teen and adult life. I started training in martial arts at a young age and getting physically in shape off and on for about 10 years.

So I guess it depends greatly on where you are now and where you want to be.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

I honestly started wanting to really help people after the Japan earthquake, tsunami and radioactive fallout back in March. I just felt so powerless watching people drown on international tv. I did't want to become someone who just watches a trajedy happen. Not long after the horror in Japan I ran into the individual known as Phoenix Jones on the internet and then the rest of the RLSH movement.

Hazmat: Thank you for your input. I'll look into something along those lines.

Gauge: I do want to help change the world but am fully aware that this, if it ever does happen even in the most miniscule of scales, is not something that happens overnight. As far as I'm concerned, if I help save one person from being brutally beaten or killed that will be motivation enough to keep doing this for the rest of my natural life.

Zimmer: I have had the opportunity to help others in numerous occasions but it has never been a grand gesture by any stretch of the imagination. Mostly just giving money to someone who really needs it and talking to them to give them someone to socialize with for a brief moment.

Eon: I recently experienced what happens when I try to push myself a little too hard
and I'm not ready for it. I will definitely keep what you said in mind, thank you.

Urban Avenger: Right now I am competent enough that I can hold my own in a one on one fight with someone of my own size. I am currently training in a Martial Art and have previously taken a self-defense course. Ideally, I wish to push myself to be as close as possible to a Batman style level of fitness. It's an extreme goal aimed at an imaginary figure but that's my goal. If I fall too short of my goal than I would be as effective as I need to be.

Thank you all for your feedback so far. I am humbled by your presence.

PS: I don't read comic books. I know what the difference is between reality and wishful thinking. Even if my goals seem far fetched, I feel they are withing the realm of possibility.

Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:31 pm

Batman has been defined as an olympic level athlete. Which requires physical training about 8 hours a day. This requires a few hours of training in gymnastics, jujitsu and tae kwon do, and weight training a few hours a day (2 hours each approximately).

However, that's extemely unrealistic. Actual olympic atheletes get sponsorship, so they are paid to train. I don't think you or any of us have that option. So you could do maybe half that training a day and still reach that goal. Still, even so the body can heal correctly it'd be best to do that every other day. With resting on the weekends.

If you really wanted to attain batman level prowess. Its possible, just very time consuming.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Thankfully, I already have half of what you mentioned covered. The problem is the other half. Do you know of anyone who is proficient in parkour/free running by any chance?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:45 pm

The internet. Actually you might want to google a local group you can meet up with. There's a parkour group in San Diego called... San Diego Parkour... I've met with them once or twice.. there's a US parkour website that has lists of groups by city or state. Can't remember off the top of my head though.
Back to top Go down
JohnDoe

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 pm

I'll look into it, thank you.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I think this is it.

Also do a search on the forum for parkourpedia. Silver sentinal posted that a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:37 pm

JohnDoe wrote:
I honestly started wanting to really help people after the Japan earthquake, tsunami and radioactive fallout back in March. I just felt so powerless watching people drown on international tv. I did't want to become someone who just watches a trajedy happen.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 pm

In looking at all that how to be Batman stuff -- which is a kind of silly approach, but nevertheless something I looked at -- probably the most profound thing I found was a reminder that if you want to get good at something (physical fitness-wise) you should practice it specifically.

So... if you want to punch well, punch a lot. Kicks, kick. etc etc.

For what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
The Reverend

The Reverend

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:44 pm

A local rlsh who I meet with sometimes is pretty proficent in parkour and I have to say he is pretty fu&%$ng amazing . This is a good goal .
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:06 am

E0N wrote:
In looking at all that how to be Batman stuff -- which is a kind of silly approach, but nevertheless something I looked at -- probably the most profound thing I found was a reminder that if you want to get good at something (physical fitness-wise) you should practice it specifically.
I read a scientific article about how practical the idea of a real life Batman would be. The first thing that was blown out of the water was that he would absolutely not have time to be Bruce Wayne. He would have to be Batman 24/7. And, since Batman never kills anyone, he would have to train intensively in non-lethal martial arts for 15-20 years prior to becoming Batman.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:50 am

That's not necessarily true. If a person was genetically gifted from the start, the physical requirements would come much more easily, taking a substantial amount of the time burden from their training.

A young boy by the name of Liam Hoekstra is such a gifted child. Due to a condition called Myostatin related muscle hypertrophy, this little boy of 5 or 6 has incredible muscle mass and regularly reaches fitness marks years beyond his age group. Such a child could easily become the physical ideal that rlsh strive for, and still have a social life.

Of course, his condition is very rare, and his inclination to become batman may wane as he gets older so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to join the ranks. This also doesn't account for mental acuity and detective skills. The boy could turn out to be a moron, but I've seen no proof of that.
Back to top Go down
Hazmat

Hazmat

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:54 am

Yeah, the sad thing is that his heart is also over large and his condition normally means not living very long.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 am

Double Helix wrote:
E0N wrote:
I read a scientific article about how practical the idea of a real life Batman would be. The first thing that was blown out of the water was that he would absolutely not have time to be Bruce Wayne. He would have to be Batman 24/7. And, since Batman never kills anyone, he would have to train intensively in non-lethal martial arts for 15-20 years prior to becoming Batman.

Those articles are 99% based on this book: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The book has a lot of good information and a lot of false assumptions and logical fallacies in it, in my opinion. The writer approaches it mostly from the standpoint of an athlete and presumes that Batman's crime-fighting would result in constant barrages of punches comparable to being Mike Tyson -- among other things. But in reality the comic book level of adversaries simply isn't out there. There are no real comparisons with occupations like SWAT members or Special Forces people.

I'm not sure what "time to be Bruce Wayne" even means, though... Bruce Wayne can basically lay around laughing all day about how much money he has and watch TV. It's not necessarily a very time consuming activity. Smile

As for the myostatin thing -- Hazmat is right, unfortunately, and there's more to being functionally fit than having big muscles that let you lift heavy weights.

Last edited by E0N on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added an "s")
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:48 am

Gauge wrote:
If a person was genetically gifted from the start, the physical requirements would come much more easily, taking a substantial amount of the time burden from their training.

hey sounds like me. sorry, some of this stuff just comes very natural to me, as in, it doesn't take much work for me to get where I want to be.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Apparently taking creatine supplements has a somewhat similar effect to myostatin blockers...

"Creatine supplementation in conjunction with resistance training lead to greater decreases in serum myostatin..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".   Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH". Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Question On Estimated Progress For Becoming A "RLSH".
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next