Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?

Go down 
+33
Crossfire the Crusader
SkyMan
JohnDoe
Superhuman
dcguardian
The Ambassador
Midnite Detective
Mister
Shield Mongoose
Lost Prophet
Dark Patriot
Overwatch
patchwork
Alastor
Gauge
Gadgetastic!
Reiki Ninja
Fear
E0N (Inactive)
Paladin
Atavistik
Alchemist
Jack Shadow
Blue Phoenix
Un-named_Hero
Equal
Flora V. Arbor
Prof. Midnight
The Grey Man
The Samaritan
Entomo
The Eye
Dark Guardian
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Dogman wrote:
The Ambassador wrote:
A lethal art like Krav, or a bone breaking art is likely to just get you sued, or jail time that much faster. Wearing someone out and tossing them to the ground however...
A real street fight is not like the movies. Training some fancy martial art is not a "I win" card. You face people who might be stronger, faster and more agressive than you. If you are worried about hurting them, you have allready lost.

wag
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:39 am

Im actually interested in learning Hwarang Do...I only know of it through the minimal study of the life of Michael Echanis. Echanis was a combat instructor for the SEALS during the Vietnam conflict and they trained full contact with combat boots and everything. More than a few broken bones and other injuries occurred during his training...BUT I have a great respect for anything that the SEALS have used or still use.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:45 am

I studied Hwa Rang DO for a while.
Our teacher was a tiny man.
I learned more from him because he could not shove through things.

He, also, trained police officers.

I liked it because they did offensive AND defensive AND joint locks AND healing techniques
Back to top Go down
Crossfire the Crusader

Crossfire the Crusader

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:48 am

Taiho Ryu is a very similar art. It was originally developed to train the police in Hong Kong. Its now used to train police officers in the states as well. The instructor that used to teach in Pine Bluff was instrumental in the development of the PR24 police baton.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:51 am

kewl
Back to top Go down
Vursman

Vursman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:49 pm

krav maga, jeed kune do, aikido, jiu jitsu ,muay thai, wing chun and parkour
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:26 am

kewl
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Go read some of Marc 'Animal' MacYoung's books.
They have good quality info. A bit of street physiology but good straight meat and potatoes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Good gravy theres a lot on his site... very practical too!
Back to top Go down
Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:17 am

Urm Question to Flora (V. Arbor)

a.. are you a chick ??

and to this post the best martial arts to learn are:

krav maga, Boxing, aikido, jiu jitsu , Keysi Fighting system, and wing chun

Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:26 am

Spider-Man wrote:

a.. are you a chick ??

yes and a very wise and hot one. so respect.
Back to top Go down
RedLight

RedLight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:41 am

Seconded!
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:02 am

Spider-Man wrote:

a.. are you a chick ??

A...Are you a little kid?

Back on topic:

I can't offer much advice as a 'martial artist,' because frankly, I ain't one. Blue belt karate, private instruction Krav Maga, family taught submission 'shoot' wrestling, and Jr High/ High School greco-roman wrestling. But I do have this to say:
Alot of people in the MANY martial arts discussions always criticize certain forms as being impractical. They tell you to only go to esteemed dojos and schools-No YMCA classes! KFM?! Its only taught in what, 5 states? And a years worth of lessons probably cost more than what I'm paying for my car (And I'm paying too much!)! And BJJ is awesome, but it won't give you an advantage-The rise of MMA means alot of people are taking BJJ now. All those skinny trailer-park boys and fat guys-who-think-they're-buff walking around in fight trunks, running shoes,and Tap-Out tank tops? Yeah, they train in it.
What I'm saying is, train how you can in what you can. Any style can be used effectively if you use your mind. The karate I learned was in a 11 and under class, $7 a week in a elementary school auditorium. All the lessons either taught us 1)How to compete (pulling blows and stopping after contact) and 2)Escaping from kidnappers (knee/groin blows while shouting). The moves were simple and hampered by rules. But THE MOVES WERE SIMPLE. Karate may be hard to adapt as a self-defense art unless you learn the harder (and more expensive) combat styles, but when you see small women breaking boards with side kicks, children shattering bricks with hammer fists, and old men breaking wooden baseball bats with their WRISTBONES, you know karate teaches simple, effective strikes.
Krav Maga is great for self defense, but requires restraint-it is a military art, and meant to kill/incapacitate. To tell you the truth, I find the methods effective but the moves sloppy.My gstanding game is KM inspired, but 80% of the moves I rely on I learned in Karate.
The ground game is important, and as I said everyone is training in it. Learn to fight street style. My ground game is crude, the average 6month BJJ student is more effective than me. But they're hampered by rules. Greco-Roman teaches you how to throw a man down. Shoot wrestling teaches you how to keep him down.And when I'm outclassed by a BJJ/Judo student, I can always thumb his eye, pull his ear, hook his mouth, twist his nose, etc for an advantage.
Now I'm not typing this to show what a badass I am, 'cause I'm not. All I want everyone to know is learn what you can. Don't worry if its not effective, the practitioner makes it effective. Train your mind and muscles and be safe.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Spider-Man wrote:

a.. are you a chick ??

MD, thank you.
SpiderMan, why do you ask if I am female?
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Blue Alpha wrote:
Spider-Man wrote:

a.. are you a chick ??

A...Are you a little kid?

Back on topic:

I can't offer much advice as a 'martial artist,' because frankly, I ain't one. Blue belt karate, private instruction Krav Maga, family taught submission 'shoot' wrestling, and Jr High/ High School greco-roman wrestling. But I do have this to say:
Alot of people in the MANY martial arts discussions always criticize certain forms as being impractical. They tell you to only go to esteemed dojos and schools-No YMCA classes! KFM?! Its only taught in what, 5 states? And a years worth of lessons probably cost more than what I'm paying for my car (And I'm paying too much!)! And BJJ is awesome, but it won't give you an advantage-The rise of MMA means alot of people are taking BJJ now. All those skinny trailer-park boys and fat guys-who-think-they're-buff walking around in fight trunks, running shoes,and Tap-Out tank tops? Yeah, they train in it.
What I'm saying is, train how you can in what you can. Any style can be used effectively if you use your mind. The karate I learned was in a 11 and under class, $7 a week in a elementary school auditorium. All the lessons either taught us 1)How to compete (pulling blows and stopping after contact) and 2)Escaping from kidnappers (knee/groin blows while shouting). The moves were simple and hampered by rules. But THE MOVES WERE SIMPLE. Karate may be hard to adapt as a self-defense art unless you learn the harder (and more expensive) combat styles, but when you see small women breaking boards with side kicks, children shattering bricks with hammer fists, and old men breaking wooden baseball bats with their WRISTBONES, you know karate teaches simple, effective strikes.
Krav Maga is great for self defense, but requires restraint-it is a military art, and meant to kill/incapacitate. To tell you the truth, I find the methods effective but the moves sloppy.My gstanding game is KM inspired, but 80% of the moves I rely on I learned in Karate.
The ground game is important, and as I said everyone is training in it. Learn to fight street style. My ground game is crude, the average 6month BJJ student is more effective than me. But they're hampered by rules. Greco-Roman teaches you how to throw a man down. Shoot wrestling teaches you how to keep him down.And when I'm outclassed by a BJJ/Judo student, I can always thumb his eye, pull his ear, hook his mouth, twist his nose, etc for an advantage.
Now I'm not typing this to show what a badass I am, 'cause I'm not. All I want everyone to know is learn what you can. Don't worry if its not effective, the practitioner makes it effective. Train your mind and muscles and be safe.

good stuff, this
Back to top Go down
Prof. Midnight

Prof. Midnight

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:05 pm

I'm still a big fan of sampling as many martial arts as you can so you can find what works best for your body, and what you enjoy. Different martial arts offer different techniques and work for different body types. Some martial arts are less effective than others for street defense, but if you pull one technique out of that art that saves your ass...who's to say it's a bad style? And any martial arts training is better than none, if you know its and your limitations.
Back to top Go down
Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:30 pm

@Flora well your picture is... hmm... Idk

On topic-By KM do you mean Keysi Method and Prof. Midnight I absolutely agree you...

@ Alpha Blue- I remember directing that comment to Flora not you sir and

@ MidNight detectiv- "yes and a very wise and hot one. so respect." *my innuendo sense is tingling*m

Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Spider-Man wrote:
@Flora well your picture is... hmm... Idk

On topic-By KM do you mean Keysi Method and Prof. Midnight I absolutely agree you...

@ Alpha Blue- I remember directing that comment to Flora not you sir and

@ MidNight detectiv- "yes and a very wise and hot one. so respect." *my innuendo sense is tingling*m

Do remember tha no woman in the world ever exercised.

No one is capable of eating healthy food, being and exercise teacher and doing landscaping.

All women have HUGE boobies and no women ever picked up anything heavy.

If you find a woman with any muslces at all, you must hate her and question every thing about her.
Under no circumstance should you ever look to see if she has been exercising
very hard for over thirty years and is a Nationally Recognized Professional Group Exercise Instructor and Teacher of other Instructors.

The only thing that you must ever to is worship laziness and sloppy drunk-drinking bodies
be insulting and and sneer at people.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:34 pm

Spider-Man wrote:

a.. are you a chick ??

...see my avatar now.
This is of a Manx kitten called "Black Bottom Betty".

Kiss the spot.
Back to top Go down
Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 am

@ Flora

please accept my apology I was just curious never meant to offend.

You're kind of an inspiration, considering your age,

Respect Smile
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Thankyou
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Spider-Man wrote:
@ Flora

please accept my apology I was just curious never meant to offend.

You're kind of an inspiration, considering your age,

Respect Smile

See how scrawny the arms are inspite of being very muscular?
See the wide hips...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:27 pm

I wore a skeleton suit today to teach exercise classes.

It is a marvelous teaching tool!

We all had a big laugh at how much the hips didn't fit

Tee Hee!

There are no female skeleton suits.
Mostly, men want to wear them.
So, they are made with very long legs and
and narrow hips
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:03 am

Very Happy Nice.
God that skeleton thing reminds me of the guy who used to wear the organ suit. Slim Goodbody.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:33 pm

I COVET the slimgoodbody suit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked it up on eBay once.

The heart is in the center and much of the rest of the anaomy is off
and I couldn't afford it.

sigh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?   Best type of martial arts for a RLSH? - Page 9 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Best type of martial arts for a RLSH?
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next