Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share Your Martial Arts Ranks

Go down 
+11
Equal
Urban Avenger
Anyman
q-gadget
Blu Falcon
Nite Watch
E0N (Inactive)
DathisOfEgypt
Rook
Vulpo
arrowdynamic
15 posters
AuthorMessage
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Empty
PostSubject: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 pm

I see some other people do arts and rank up in them, so why not share where we are in our martial art training?
If you do an art that doesn't rank, like boxing or wrestling, you can still say how long you've been doing it.
I am an Orange belt in Goju Ryu Karate, but on Tuesday the 14th I will be testing for green.
I have previously done wrestling and am in jiu jitsu but am not ranking up in it at the moment as I cannot spare the funds to continue the lessons. Eventually I will be able to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Wed May 22, 2013 11:41 am

We might need some context, Arrow Wink Where does orange fall in the progression of the style you practice?

I took Tae Kwon Do for two years which got me started in martial arts. I was a brown belt (Progression: white, yellow, green, blue, brown, red, black). I was about 14. I never really stopped practicing, but I became turned off by the teacher of the school (greed/money, in other words) and I quit. When I was about 17, I discovered Jeet Kune Do, and that essentially changed my life, martially, mentally, and spiritually. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for JKD.

I'm 32 now, so I've been practicing on and off for the last 15 years.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Wed May 22, 2013 11:45 am

Sage wrote:
When I was about 17, I discovered Jeet Kune Do, and that essentially changed my life, martially, mentally, and spiritually. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for JKD.

It's really great that Bruce was able to bring JKD to the world in the way that he did. It would be hard to ask for a better legacy, I think.

Jeet Kun Do has helped me as well, though I had never gotten into practicing it fully, I should probably consider it now.
Back to top Go down
arrowdynamic

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Mon May 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Sage wrote:
We might need some context, Arrow Wink Where does orange fall in the progression of the style you practice?

I took Tae Kwon Do for two years which got me started in martial arts. I was a brown belt (Progression: white, yellow, green, blue, brown, red, black). I was about 14. I never really stopped practicing, but I became turned off by the teacher of the school (greed/money, in other words) and I quit. When I was about 17, I discovered Jeet Kune Do, and that essentially changed my life, martially, mentally, and spiritually. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for JKD.

much respect on practicing martial arts for 15 years! I've only been practing for about 1 and a quarter years... although I have practiced other things such as wrestling in the past.

I passed my green belt test so I am a green belt now, I am just waiting to be presented with my belt (my Sensei was away on vacation all week).

In Goju the belt progression is: White -> Yellow -> Orange -> Green -> Blue -> Brown -> Black -> All the other degrees of black
Back to top Go down
Rook

Rook

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Fri May 31, 2013 5:52 pm

I started studying martial arts when I was 11. I've studied a variety of styles because I moved around quite a bit. I often joke that I have a "yellow belt in everything," but my highest rank is 2nd degree black in one of those "synthetic" self defense styles that was once taught to law enforcement officers who wished to get a better pay rate.

I was also a western saber fencer.

-Rook
Back to top Go down
DathisOfEgypt

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:56 am

Advanced? I have been training on and off for 10 years but I left the sports martial arts scene to re-learn and practice the combative roots for 6. But, in the last art I practiced under a sports setting when I was 13 was a brown belt. I had only been there a year and a half and I was already ahead of classmates who had been there for years. After awhile I felt they had no more to teach me so i reclined from the dojo.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 am

Eh... well. I did "Modern Army Combatives Level I."
Back to top Go down
Nite Watch

Nite Watch

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:21 pm

I did  Army Combatives Level I and II, and back in the day when I first joined the Army in 1999, ofcourse we did Hand to hand Combat.  In Korea we did some Tae Kwon Do for PT (Physical Training), but that never really got my attention, so never really tried in that.
Back to top Go down
Blu Falcon

Blu Falcon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm a green belt (lvl 3 of 5) in MCMAP- marine corps martial arts program. It's comprised of numerous martial arts but because of this it's sparked a main interest in Muay Thai
Back to top Go down
q-gadget

q-gadget

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 am

Kung Fu, Red Black Belt.

Q
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:58 am

Basic level of skill in seven-star praying mantis ("basic" meaning a manual; also learned rudimentary Shaolin kung fu and judo from manuals, as well as "Green Beret Combatives" in a manual by Col. Aaron Banks). Some people might notice a mention of a Vietnam veteran. That man is my father, who taught me self-defense for several years. More research has uncovered videos and other instructional materials about Fairbairn-style combatives, in the form of declassified videos and material from Carl Cestari. Can't really afford to take martial arts classes, which means no ranking system by which to judge skill or proficiency.
Back to top Go down
Vulpo

Vulpo

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:51 am

q-gadget wrote:
Kung Fu, Red Black Belt.

Q
Kung Fu is a vague term.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 am

I never quite understand what people mean when they say they practice jeet kun do.
Back to top Go down
q-gadget

q-gadget

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:04 pm

Shaolin Kung Fu, Better?
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:07 pm

That is a style, JKD is not.
Back to top Go down
Anyman

Anyman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Q might know... just checking:

George Parulski... do you know if his information on Shaolin style is good or not?
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:58 pm

I got the highes (and sole) rank it's possible to get in Iron Paw. But I haven't figured a name for it yet. I also got some leathal cooking skills.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 pm

I want to learn Iron Paw too!

I have studied 5 styles since 1981 and so,
 do not know my rank
Back to top Go down
q-gadget

q-gadget

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:39 am

Anyman wrote:
Q might know... just checking:

George Parulski... do you know if his information on Shaolin style is good or not?
I can honestly say, I have no idea I was trained in the UK. This isn't the first time I have heard his name but I did practical Kung Fu
No theory for me.

Only thing I can suggest is read his book and see if it makes sense to you, but personally I would just find out if he or someone of master status is doing some kind of seminar and go to that. Books are all well and good but doing is the real lesson.

Q
Back to top Go down
The Anomaly

The Anomaly

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 pm

At the age of about 6 or 7, I started training in Tae-Kwon-Do, and rode the ladder from white to black. I'm currently a 2nd Dan, though I should be at least a 3rd since I ended up missing the last two belt tests do to other obligations. It's really good for a workout, stamina, speed, leg strength, etc. I could also train in weapons, but I'm fairly certain Canada frowns upon the use of swords and bows against other people. :\
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:00 am

Weapon training is good for focus, balance andd coordination. I've trained a lot with weapons with the sole purpose to improve my unarmed capabilities. It also help you when dealing with armed opposision, since you experience the merits and flaws of different weapon groups.
Back to top Go down
Faust

Faust

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Mon May 30, 2016 3:07 am

I was in Kung Fu (Hung Ga mostly) classes throughout middle and high school, got injured and missed my graduation to Brown sash (sash below black) and focused on recovery for a while. After that I retrained with basic Karate, wing chun and combatives to keep myself sharp and have been doing that for the last 2 or 3 years. 
I also enjoy practicing Savate and Systema drills I find just to keep myself loose and free flowing while studying the mechanics and techniques of Jujitsu (I use my wing chun to bridge the connection and fill the gap before I throw/grapple)
Back to top Go down
Faust

Faust

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Mon May 30, 2016 3:10 am

Correction* 2 sashes below black, Red was between brown and Black
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Mon May 30, 2016 6:39 pm

I'm a Yellow Belt in Taekwondo, and a White Belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate.

I have waaay more martial arts experience from teaching myself all on my own though, (can't judge a superhero by the colors of their belts haha). My knowledge ranges from Taekwondo, Shaolin Kempo Karate, Hapkido, (personal paid instructor; no belts, friend of my dad's), Krav Maga, and Wrestling (I was on the team in middle school.)
Back to top Go down
Iron Lamb

Iron Lamb

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:04 am

I'm a brown sash in Jiu Jitsu, have a blue belt in Akido. Started martial arts when I was 14 and had times in my life I didn't do martial arts. Now I am 43 years old but still do boxing (for 5 years now).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Share Your Martial Arts Ranks   Share Your Martial Arts Ranks Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Share Your Martial Arts Ranks
Page 1 of 1