Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Super Hero Training Manuals

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

Super Hero Training Manuals Empty
PostSubject: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:40 am

Here are some books I found on Amazon, on the topic of becoming a hero.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The first is "Becoming Batman, the possibility of a superhero" by E. Paul Zehr. It is a scientific and analytical look at what it would take to become like the Dark Knight, down to the DNA. It covers everything from proper diet and sleeping habits, to training, conditioning and the uniform. It is a very good and interesting read.

The second Is The Batman Handbook, the ultimate training manual, by Scott Beatty. This is a fun how-to manual with a wide range of topics. It covers "The Basics, Bat Skills, Fighting Skills, Detective Skills, and Escape skills.
The How-to topics are as follows;
how to assemble a utility belt
how to build a batcave
how to maintain your alter ego
how to throw a Batarang
how to rappel down a building
how to take out a room full of goons
and many others
This book is both fun and informative.

The third is "Wisdom from the Batcave, how to live a super heroic life" by Cary Friedman is a sociological, and spiritual look at the values that drive and define Batman. His beliefs his outlooks and the way he interacts with others. after reading this book I found out there's a lot that Batman could teach me about being a better person, leading a better life. This book was touted as the "civilian version" of a book written for FBI and LE by the same author. Very uplifting and I highly recommend it. A must for anyone with the heart of a hero.

If you pick them up I hope you enjoy
Peace be with you all
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:06 pm

You might also like "Batman and Philosophy."
Back to top Go down
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Do you know the name of the author?
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:22 pm

It has many authors, but it is edited by Mark D. White and Robert Arp.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:37 pm

now that is just sweet
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:23 am

I'm going to be getting me the first one! There's also the Action Hero's Handbook and a sequel which I think are from the same series as the second one. They're just a bit of fun but I think there's some actual useful info in there too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:10 pm

I have, and read the 2nd one. The 1st & 3rd look interesting. Also yes, like Idea Man says, check out "Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul"

And also, in the Batman Training Manual, there's a list of books in there to read, which aren't about the fictional superheroes, but are also about those same ideals that inspired the ideas of those fictional superheroes. Like Sherlock Holmes, for example (a personal favorite of mine).

And not to mention all of those skills and education that it takes to be like Batman.
Back to top Go down
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I ordered "Batman and Philosophy", (thank you Idea Man for your recommendation) a few days ago. It should be here soon. I'll post a pic when it arrives. About the Dark Knight's reading list (pg 14), I had actually read about half of them prior to ever owning the "Ultimate Training Manual". Sherlock Holmes was a childhood favorite of mine. Also the other two books are worth picking up and very interesting. I have enjoyed them greatly. Ill be looking into the books on that list I haven't read yet. Thanks for your post and for the advice.
Back to top Go down
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:14 pm

It just got here
I'll begin reading it soon, and will let you know what I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:42 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Right on.
Back to top Go down
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Tothian wrote:

in the Batman Training Manual, there's a list of books in there to read

I figured I would post that list for those who don't have the book but might be interested in some good reading for a RLSH,

BTW, Thanks again Idea Man, good idea. lol!
Back to top Go down
Idea Man

Idea Man

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 pm

You're welcome, Samaritan.

If you enjoy "Batman and Philosophy," you might also be interested in "Watchmen and Philosophy."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:47 pm

I just got "The art off war" today

I don't remember any of these scenes in the movie
and they totally messed up Wesley Snipes' character Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Samaritan,
I've read some if not all of the Art of War some years ago. I haven't read the Count of Monte Cristo, but I've heard of it and was considering maybe reading that one day. Crime & Punishment sounds good. And the complete works of Friedrich Nietzsche sounds familiar. IDK about the rest, except for Sherlock Holmes but I already mentioned that in my above post.

Idea Man,
I enjoyed reading Watchmen & Philosophy, but I think I enjoyed the Batman & Philosophy a little bit more, if not about the same. I've read some of the Heroes & Philosophy, but I just skipped through to the parts about Time Travel.

Minuteman,
What scenes of what movie?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Minuteman wrote:

Ha ha.

You know, not to rain on your parade, but you could actually have just downloaded the entire book for free.

It's over 700 years old and well within the bounds of public domain.
I've had it sitting on my computer for months now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:21 pm

TheWhiteSkull wrote:
You know, not to rain on your parade, but you could actually have just downloaded the entire book for free.

There is always the option of a refund, if he kept his receipt.

But, one good thing about a book is that you can take it with you places to read.

Then again, if someone was to download an e-book, they could just print it out, but it doesn't always have the same feel as reading a book.
Back to top Go down
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:47 pm

TheWhiteSkull wrote:
Minuteman wrote:

Ha ha.

It's over 700 years old and well within the bounds of public domain.
I've had it sitting on my computer for months now.

I knew it was free and I had a digital copy but still wanted a hard copy.
In the category of books written 100's of year ago in the far east, I also recommend; The Sword and The Mind, bu Hiroaki Sato. A Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi. Both can be found for free online.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 am

What about: Hagakure the book of the samurai

I think I should re-read it again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:17 am

TheWhiteSkull wrote:

Ha ha.

First thank you for getting the joke
And it was only 50 cents at a thrift store, so I'm not too bummed

And Tothian
are you going to tell me you never saw the movie with Wesley swipes...I mean Snipes?
Back to top Go down
The Samaritan

The Samaritan

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Tothian wrote:

A list of books in there to read, which aren't about the fictional superheroes, but are also about those same ideals that inspired the ideas of those fictional superheroes.
And not to mention all of those skills and education that it takes to be like Batman.

Here's a book, which though not from the list, I'm sure will aid an RLSH in their quest to Batman themselves up. I got it when I first started training in Parkour. It was written by a pro in the art and starts at a safe and easy level. It's loads of fun, great exercise and a must for any Batman inspired heroes out there.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Parkour and Free-running handbook, by Dan Edwards, co-founder of Parkour Generations (look them up on You tube)

BTW ZETAMAN, Great choice I had a copy but after loaning it to someone it never returned. It too might be free on the Net.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm

ZETAMAN wrote:
What about: Hagakure the book of the samurai

I think I should re-read it again.

That sounds familiar, I know I have some books like that on Codes of the Samurai that I read years ago. Good stuff.

Minuteman wrote:
And Tothian
are you going to tell me you never saw the movie with Wesley swipes...I mean Snipes?

I remember Blade, if that counts.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:44 pm

I have three of the books you guys have been talking about --

Becoming Batman

The Batman Handbook

The Parkour and Free-running handbook

I found "Becoming Batman" a bit disappointing because the author focused heavily on the athlete angle and didn't seem to consider military/cop stuff that would have been relevant. Also *spoiler alert* he says basically that you could be Batman if you had a genetic predisposition toward that for about 10 years before the accumulated stresses on your body forced you to retire. The entire book is basically about proving that thesis statement, not necessarily guiding you toward "becoming Batman." And I disagree with that thesis statement because it presumes your adversaries would be on par with Batman's and that you'd fight them hand-to-hand on a regular basis -- I don't think that would be true even if you were a masked vigilante in Sadr City or Khandahar.

"The Batman Handbook" is basically humor, although like those Zombie survival guides, worst case scenario handbooks, etc, it's not completely full of lies or anything.

"The Parkour and Free-running handbook" has been eye-opening. I've been doing parkour on my own for about a month or so -- this book includes some things I totally never thought of, like the simple advice to try and do your parkour running silently. That never would have occurred to me.
Back to top Go down
SkyMan

SkyMan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:16 pm

I even spent time printing up "The RLSH manual" that is out here on the web by NiteOwl.... did he just give up on it or something? It hasnt been updated in months...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Super Hero Training Manuals   Super Hero Training Manuals Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Super Hero Training Manuals
Page 1 of 1