Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scenario Training

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Scenario Training Empty
PostSubject: Scenario Training   Scenario Training Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Saturday even Mr.Xtreme and I met up at a park, brought out a ton of training equipment and warmed up for some exercises and scenario training. I never really used a jump rope before, well in high school but that was almost 10 years ago. Needless to say it kicked my ass, and has now become an invaluable tool on my exercise regiment. We went over some basic martial arts moves, self defense stuff. While the basic stuff never really leaves you, it can grow stale when not exercised and practiced for a long time. Then we decided to spend the rest of the training session on takedowns, throws and scenarios. Takedowns and throws are hard, especially when someone like mr. Xtreme has almost 100lbs on me. You can say what you want about size matters not, or you don't need to be strong and all that, butfor the most part its not true. He could easily fling me around or counter and reverse my throws, while I had a hard time taking him down. He does have more experience than I do, but I have trained in aikido and judo before, I don't know them nearly as well as I do kenpo, but I can do some basic stuff. After being thrown, tripped and flipped, we moved onto the scenario training. That would have been a lot easier to do if Vigilante Spider had been there, but he had a stomach ailment, so we substituted his BOB training dummy instead. Would you be able to take someone down if they were wildly swinging a baseball at you? I was able to the first time, but the second time Xtreme managed to get me in the side, cracking my ribs and fracturing my hip. Not for real obviously, he used a wiffle ball bat. But if he had used a real baseball bat, he would have done just that. Other scenarios included various assaults on victims like stabbings or simple punching and fighting. Most of these resulted in me taking down the perp and macing them at point blank range. Others, I had no clue what to do and had to ask, what do I do in that situattion? Then we went over crossing the line, where one has to make a judgement as to where a potential attacker has to be told where to stand and not come any further, where personal space should be given, and when to make the determination where that line IS crossed and how to react responsibley and lawfully. Use of proper force, so on and so forth. All very valuable information. I think others could adopt similar practices if they have teammates or partners. After all of this we settled down and watched a very old, but very relevant video on street safety and how to keep from becoming a victim, criminal psychology and the thought processes criminals have before, during and after a crime has been committed. If anyone doesn't understand what I mean, please watch the gun laws debunked myth I posted in the news forum. I would post a link here but its a little more time consuming to do it on my phone. We plan on doing these once a month and have another scheduled already for late october. I believe these training sessions will provide many necessary skills in the fight against crime.
Back to top Go down
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Scenario Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scenario Training   Scenario Training Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 pm

This is great. I have a nagging suspicion that surprisingly few RLSHs actually train.
Back to top Go down
Rebound

Rebound

Scenario Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scenario Training   Scenario Training Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:00 pm

That sounds like important stuff to practice. Hopefully, you can get enough of it ingrained that you'll be able to react without having to think about it when the time comes. I'd love to join in on some training sessions like this if I'm ever down in your area.
Back to top Go down
Blue Alpha

Blue Alpha

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Scenario Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scenario Training   Scenario Training Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Mabe sometime I can join you...
Back to top Go down

Scenario Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scenario Training   Scenario Training Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Urban Avenger wrote:
Takedowns and throws are hard, especially when someone like mr. Xtreme has almost 100lbs on me. You can say what you want about size matters not, or you don't need to be strong and all that, butfor the most part its not true.

I used to practice on someone 6'2 and twice my weight. The more you practice with people who are bigger and stronger than you, the more you learn how to deal with them. For example. When I was learning Karate, There was a certain move that I was trying that I could not get because i was practicing with said partner. I eventually learned that if I pulled downwards while doing it, I could force him off-balance and then perform the move normally. So practicing against a bigger opponent is always a plus Smile

BTW, it sounds like you're learning some good stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
Polarman

Polarman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Scenario Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scenario Training   Scenario Training Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:02 pm

I always practice every saturday morning at the playground Sadly they tore down 2 of my favorite ones The School yard and the Beach park The school yard one was torn down because someone on the school board finally listened to me when I told them how unsafe and dangerous the playstrutcures were but the beach one was torn down so they could build another stupid office building
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scenario Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scenario Training   Scenario Training Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Scenario Training
Page 1 of 1