Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Things you do for training

Go down 
+8
Triumph
blackvoid
Bearman
Defie
Gadgetastic!
Enviroman
Equal
E0N (Inactive)
12 posters
AuthorMessage
E0N (Inactive)

E0N (Inactive)

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

Things you do for training Empty
PostSubject: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Please post specific things you actually do for training purposes that you're willing to share with people and consider practically useful. I'm more interested in things that you're doing for real than anything speculative.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 am

Diet
Carbs with low Glycemic Index, mostly from raw oats. No sugar. Alot of protein (egg, whale, chicken, wild fish, moose, cow, pig) and fat from seal oil, olive oil and canola oil. And raw vegs and fruit.
It make me stronger, faster, smarter, bigger and better.

Aikido

Connect' the mind with the body

Streaching

For flexebility and strenght

cardio

For stamina

weights
For strenght and mass

diet
Healthy food

bokken kata

Good for balance, focus, ma-ai.

Iron Paw
Training techninces from TKD, aikido and muay thai. Condition hands and legs, training gripping strenght, atemi, fighting skills in general

DIET!
Eat alot of stuff and trying to keep it down.

reading
Make the head grow bigger.

observation patrols

know the area and people.

and diet...

Because it's fun!

Last edited by Dogman on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 am

General Physical Conditioning:
Bodyweight exercises with extra added weight. - I want to develop the body management and awareness skills that bodyweight exercise delivers, but with increasing strength limits(thus the added weight).
Sandbag lifting. - For standard lifting exercises like deadlifts and squats I use the sand because it engages the hands and core muscles much more than standard barbell lifting, it also requires me to compensate for a constantly shifting weight(like a struggling person).
Sledgehammer levers. - Forearm and hand strength are very important when controlling an opponent's movement, or a weapon.
Speed drills with resistance vest. - MOAR SPEED. My goal is Bruce Lee hand and foot speed, I know that's kind of lofty... :-P
Tabata interval drills. - Excellent anaerobic conditioning and metabolic enhancement. As I'm trying to bulk up right now, I'm laying off these a bit just because the metabolic kick is almost impossible for me to out-eat, but they are a regular part of my workout when I'm not on a funky diet.

Skill Development
Empty hand and weapons katas. - While I'll never patrol with a weapon, studying and practicing weapons of varied size and shape help me to improvise in the field if I ever need to. Katas also build speed, coordination, and agility.
Sparring(at least once a week). - Develops more real-world technique application than kata, enhances speed, agility, yada yada. Also, fighting is fun.
Parkour(weather permitting). - Even on bad weather days I still train precision jumps and stuff. Parkour helps develop body awareness, agility, balance, and speed. Plus it's freaking fun.
Juggling. - Proprioception enhancement, hand/eye coordination.
Circus arts exercises. - More proprioception, body management, balance. I don't have access to my college's circus arts room anymore but I still walk narrow objects, balance on strange things, balance strange things on my body, and balance my body strangely :-P

Mental Development
Meditation. - Relieves stress, helps mental focus, enhances basically every mental faculty and allows me to examine situations without emotion.
Starcraft 2. - Develops multitasking, planning, mental reaction and judgement time, fine motor skills, hand/eye coordination.

Edit: Sorry, realized you wanted purposes too. Added footnotes.
Back to top Go down
Gadgetastic!

Category :
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:02 am

Diet

Mostly fish and lean meats like turkey and grilled chicken. This cuts down significantly on fat intake while still providing required protein for muscle and metabolic function.

Lots of raw and lightly steamed veggies. Other methods of prep eliminate much of what makes veggies good for you. The body is far better at processing vitamins from food than from pills.

Eliminate all soda. ( I try:)) People often lose up to ten pounds quickly just by removing sodas from their diet.

Workout

Circuit at the gym Mon, Wed, Fri with at least a half hour of cardio. Slow movements with low weights and lots of reps to develop lean muscle for speed and power.

Mental
College five days a week. Read an informational text at least one hour each day. Recently its been medical texts. How the body works, stuff like that. Currently working on Greys.

Contacts and Resources
I make a particular effort to meet every police officer I see. Shake hands and smile and say hello. I'm also active in my community and know many of the local business owners.

Gadgetastic!
Back to top Go down
Defie

Defie

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Eat your NON-genetically modified veggies, kids!   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:58 pm

Diet
I eat lots of high-calorie high-protean foods such as pastas, baked turkey, and breakfast cereals, as I've found it difficult to maintain what I would consider an adequate body weight otherwise. Throughout the day I eat random fruits and vegetables, and avoid any and ALL GMO (Genetically Modified) crops and meats, as these tend to reek havoc on the bodies natural immune defenses.
Most of my diet is around 45-50% from carbohydrates, 30-35% proteins, and 20-25% fats.

Training
  • Calisthenics,

Body weight conditioning, (Your push-ups, sit-ups, dips, chin ups, one-leg squats and the like.)

Weight training/strength training combination, (necessary to improve physical strength, and physical fitness.)

Calisthenics again,

and end with Tai chi, (particularly the "grand ultimate fist" style) in order to maintain good body coordination after strenuous exercises. I also have a tai chi sword (Taiji Jian) for which I practice Chen style Tai Chi Jian.

Mind
I make an effort to practice QiGong, (Energy Skill) as I've found it particularly useful in helping me overcome the effects that Autism used to have on my ability to concentrate on anything. It's also very useful for metabolic and cardiovascular health. bounce
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Hey Dogman I'm curious, what exactly is an "iron paw?" I use a hand grip strengthener once in a while but that sounds more... appropriate somehow.
Back to top Go down
blackvoid

blackvoid

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:08 pm

read, meditate for 2 hours, have fun, bo/jo staff practice and observation of people and the area.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Bearman wrote:
Hey Dogman I'm curious, what exactly is an "iron paw?" I use a hand grip strengthener once in a while but that sounds more... appropriate somehow.
It's a pun, something I call my fight training. It's just aikido and muay thai trained under bad conditions, like slippery ground, corridors and against walls. Also defece against common street fight openings and agression training.
Grip strenght make good aikido, a throw is only as good as your grip.
Back to top Go down
Triumph

Triumph

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Diet

Trying to eat healthier and wholesome foods.

Cutting down my red meat to once a week, mostly sticking with Fish and Chicken for good protein alongside Cottage Cheese, Peanut Butter, and Nuts.

Eating Raw and Steamed vegetables with dinner and lunch. Eating Fruit for breafast with Granola and Milk, as well as fruit for snacks.

Dairy wise I try to drink a quarter of a large jug a day, that includes mixed with my protein Shake. Also, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, and Sour cream on my Potatoes.

Grain products include Pasta quite frequently for lunch for my late night workout routine; also whole wheat 12 grain bread and bagel sandwiches.

Just a general overview. I'm also making sure to take combination vitamin and mineral supplements as well as Protein powder for my work outs. I'm not completely eliminating junk food, I just only treat myself to it once a week as a *reward* so long as I don't miss a day of physical training.

Physical

Calisthenic/Weight Training 6 Times a week: Arms/ Chest, Lower Body, Shouders/Back in that pattern with a day of rest then the next three days follow the same pattern. I work out core muscles every other day with my workout pattern doing a combination of body weight and medicine ball techniques.

I do Cardio everyday rotating between using a treadmill and using the track at the school. Also rotate between elliptical/exercise cycle and rowing machine/Step Climber each day as well. Also throw in a small Plyometric routine at the end of each session.

So I try to workout twice a day, Morning for Cardio, Evenings for Strength.

Once I get more into shape i'll probably begin to throw in Isometrics and Yoga and start swimming in the pool as well. Looking into getting certification so I can use the climbing wall to.

This summer i'm going to get back in Muay Thai and BJJ as well as throwing in Wrestling and Capoeira because they also teach them at the place i'm interested in. Want to start doing Parkour as well, not necessarily because I think i'll actually use it on a patrol, but just because its a great way to get in shape and i've always wanted to learn.

Mental

Studying at school 3 days a week. So I get to learn a lot in regards to Criminal Justice in canada since that is my major.

Try to read an hour every night of non-school related material.

Try to do crosswords or Sudoku for a half an hour to challenge the problem solving portion of my brain.

Looking into taking night courses at a nearby college to possibly attain a private investigators license over the next year/year and a half.

Need to get my first aid re-certified...it's been a while. We had to do it as part of physical education in our High School. weird eh?

Thats about all for now.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Diet

Assloads of protein. Mostly chicken and tuna, with protein shakes to supplement. Don't eat a lot of carbs, take my multivitamins and Animal Pak.

Physical

Powerlifting five days a week with cardio at the end, pus one day devoted to cardio after that. Extra exercise on the heavy bag. Also self defense/CQC training when I can, which is not as much as it used to be.

Mental.

I read. A lot. Everything from theoretical physics to the history of the Pilo Family Circus. I also work in an environment where I gat to use my brain, when it's not in a jar next to my desk.
Back to top Go down
Urban Avenger

Urban Avenger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Diet - lately I've been eating a lot more salads and fish. Trying to cut back on the junk food (but I'm a junk food junk so lord have pity on me)

Powerbocking - I used to just do running and hopping at the park or to the store to get a drink (all that poerbocking is thirsty business!) But after I modded the feet with offroad tires I began doing trails with them, sometimes a few miles long. I don't nearly as much as I want to. Powerbocking I have found is good cardio, awesome for the legs and abs, and even arms if you use hiking sticks like I do.

Dance dance revolution - amazing cardio, need good agility and sense of timing. With my steel toed boots it adds a challenge as I have to compensate my speed due to wearing shoes that weig 3 lbs each.

Weight training - low weight and high reps to tone and strengthen muscle, this was religion for bruce lee, and I have developed a similar body style to his. Bulking up ain't my thing. I believe in speed over size and my type of weight living can give me an awesome balance of both.
Back to top Go down
Bearman

Bearman

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Dogman wrote:
It's a pun, something I call my fight training. It's just aikido and muay thai trained under bad conditions, like slippery ground, corridors and against walls. Also defece against common street fight openings and agression training.
Grip strenght make good aikido, a throw is only as good as your grip.
Ohhh okay. I thought it might be something similar to one of these: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I've had my eye on those for a while but I figure I should work my way there first.
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:20 pm

When I was a lad I ate 4 dozen eggs every morning to help me get large! Now that I'm grown I eat 5 dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a barge!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Razz Laughing Shocked Cool Smile pale WoW Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Anonyman

Anonyman

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 am

Diet: I drink a lot of milk, and eat a lot of meat, specifically beef. I still enjoy snacking on chips and candy, but hey, everything in moderation, right?

Physical: I run a lot, and lift weights. Plus, I'm taking Phys. Ed as an elective this semester, which is awesome because it gives me time to workout virtually everyday.

Mental: In addition to Phys. Ed, I'm also taking History, Psychology, and Law this semester, and trying to learn about why people do the things that they do.
Back to top Go down
Enviroman

Enviroman

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:47 am

Gauge wrote:
When I was a lad I ate 4 dozen eggs every morning to help me get large! Now that I'm grown I eat 5 dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a barge!
**gasp**

GASTON?!?!
Back to top Go down
Gauge

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Yay, Enviroman! Someone finally got the reference. Although he has more hair than me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Anonyman, RLSH wrote:
Diet: I drink a lot of milk, and eat a lot of meat, specifically beef. I still enjoy snacking on chips and candy, but hey, everything in moderation, right?

Physical: I run a lot, and lift weights. Plus, I'm taking Phys. Ed as an elective this semester, which is awesome because it gives me time to workout virtually everyday.

Mental: In addition to Phys. Ed, I'm also taking History, Psychology, and Law this semester, and trying to learn about why people do the things that they do.

That's pretty impressive what school are you in?
Back to top Go down
Anonyman

Anonyman

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:42 pm

I'd rather not say. It's a high school in Saskatchewan, I'll leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things you do for training   Things you do for training Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Things you do for training
Page 1 of 1