Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...

Go down 
+17
Justice258
NightAngel
Enviroman
The Anomaly
Prof. Midnight
E0N (Inactive)
Flora V. Arbor
Red Dragon
Lionheart
kapes13
ZERO
Midnite Detective
Equal
Sleepless
Jack Shadow
PsychicSeraphicLotusMetta
Superhero
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Empty
PostSubject: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:30 am

So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today at the Gym while Brother power & I are doing legs.

The Kid Is maybe 150lbs. But has tremendous striking power (Which I don't), The bag is leaping when he hits it AND he's throwing excellent combos too.

So I have a errant thought... "What if I ran into this guy on patrol?"

"Well" I think to myself, "He's way younger, Way faster, & if I try to stand toe to toe with him he'd use my head for a speed bag."

So that would be out of the question. But I noticed that everything he was throwing was wide, And I've got about 50 solid pounds on him, I like to stay in the middle anyway, so I would try to step in on him, put a elbow in his face, then try to hook him for a front choke with the same arm as once I had a hold of him I think I could keep him under wraps.

Now, I have no intention of ever finding out, and he's probably a very nice kid, but it got me thinking. It's probably not a bad idea to watch fights, Actual ones, matched ones, MMA UFC what have you & think "What the Hell would I do if I ran into that situation?" Then practice for it if you can. Running scenarios thru your head never hurt anybody.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:25 am

his power was possibly coming from his centerline and waist turn. Travelling through the ground and into his fist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:24 am

150 lbs of muscle is still nothing to play around with in skillful hands.i have a deadly punch.i have knocked out many with just one good one placed right even a 300 and something pound monster.then when those two guys attacked me awhile back.i beat them both up and one had to have open brain surgery for the hemmorage in his brain.never under estimate the little guy unless of course he's a twig, then watch out for the gun.weak people tend to have guns especially rich old ladies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 am

Skill trumps brute force in most cases. Weight is a great advantage, but a low weight pro fighter will wreck a heavyweight novice. I've seen it.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:21 am

On the other hand I've seen a 195 pounder beat on a 300 pound monster at K-1 several years ago and make no headway. The only reason the fight was stopped is because the big guy broke his hand on the little guy's head.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:11 am

My bad, I guess the big guy won that one. Ernesto Hoost v Bob Sapp. Bob Sapp is the big guy.
Back to top Go down
Sleepless

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:22 am

My little brother's 140lbs, he trains with me, and I've seen him knock out a guy at least twice his size (Maybe 260lbs), appearances can be dangerously deciptive.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:39 am

Of course the worst way to find out if a guy has a head like a brick is to punch him in the face. All it takes is a slight shift in head postition and you're breaking your hand on the guy's forehead.
Back to top Go down
Equal

Equal

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm

There will always be someone better. Until then, fight ugly and dirty. Or be smart enough to find other options.
Back to top Go down
Midnite Detective

Midnite Detective

Category :
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:57 pm

You would dazzle him with your personality Superhero.

Then bear mace the f**k out of him and put him in a sleeper hold.
Back to top Go down
ZERO

ZERO

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:58 pm

This is why you always take out the knees right away. Especially on big guys.
Back to top Go down
Jack Shadow

Jack Shadow

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:59 pm

ZERO wrote:
This is why you always take out the knees right away. Especially on big guys.

That's why I like Muay Thai. Devestating low kicks.
Back to top Go down
kapes13

kapes13

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:05 pm

Zero has a point - I am a larger frame and totally rely on the knees! When one is weak (like right now Sad ) - I can't do anything......................
Back to top Go down
Lionheart

Lionheart

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Quote :
.i beat them both up and one had to have open brain surgery

Is that even legal?

Always go for the knees. You can literally just tap the back of someones knee and they go down.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:06 pm

You guys are kind of mssing the point. The point is to study fights & ask "What would I do?" & play your strengths. If you were watching that senario you'd be up against a 150lbs guy who was hell on wheels fast & knew how to box. Bigger man senario would have been worthless.

Last edited by Superhero on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lionheart

Lionheart

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:16 pm

It's true.

I had a friend, crazy and irish. About 5'5, maybe 5'4. Looks skinny, but its all toned muscle.

Couple of years back Big guy (possibly 5'11, big muscles like he works out a lot/ possible steroid junkie) starts on him in a bar , because he was ginger or something, swings at him. Straight over the top. My friend uppercuts him right in the stomach, guy falls down.

If I had seen this normally, I would of said lucky punch, but this friend of mine is notorious for getting into fights, I'm pretty sure he's never lost. Comes from many years of being bullied at school, and me and him deciding to do something about it.

You never know a persons history.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Usually I'm the bigger stronger guy, but I'm the smallest of the guys I train with. Keeps you motivated.

But wouldn't have wanted to give this kid a chance to brutalize me the way he was that bag, I'd have been trying to get him in a choke & put some strong on him as fast as I could.

A bigger guy? I'd probably try a "Carnival trick" on him so I could fall back & reach for one of my weapons.

Anyway the point of the thread is just watch as many different fights as you can Even on things like "Come get you some . com" & such & say..."How would I have handled it?"
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:30 pm

@Jack: the problem with Muay Tai is all the self Abuse they have to go thru to get their shins tough enough to handle that crap. I had a Girlfriend years ago that did all that crap, hitting them selves in the shins to deaden all the nerves. "Katiki Tai" I think she called it. it was also in the era before everyone wanted to grapple. Usually when two people meet at the shins both end up on the ground crying.

That's a good scenario though. What would you do if some guy tried to shin you like they do?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Muay Thai fighters that kick trees are making micro fractures in their bones. As you know when a bone breaks it regrows stronger. Also Thailand is known for the influence of buddhism and the aspect of mind over pain might also play a part in the strengthening of the shins.

The only thing to do is keep on training.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Right.

And the bulk of Americans don't want to stand around & kick trees. Usually when People end up bashing shins both end up on the ground & that's the end of it, I've actually seen it. I bet there's video of it too.

My friend who did it spent plenty of time beating on herself with sticks & everything else. Guys in her dojo could crack bats with their shins & it's impressive but it was also in a era when a lot of people were stand up fighters & mixed hadn't caught on yet.

I can think of 3 other guys on here who would love to have some douche try to hook his forearms around their neck & start trying to kick them in the sides & shins. They'd be handing themselves over on a silver platter. No matter what weight class they were in. (Although it struck me that most of the Muay guys I saw were smaller...especially the ones I saw in Thailand when I was there. Neutral)

Last edited by Superhero on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Here: I couldn't find a video but here's a picture:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Red Dragon

Red Dragon

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:20 pm

In the scenario you described with a fighter who had fast hands and a lot of power behind them, I'd immediately deprive them of the distance necessary to effectively strike. Normally, I don't advocate going to the ground, but if it's between getting my face punched in and a quick neutralization through groundwork...that's where it's going.

The ground is also a weapon if you know how to use it. For instance, Judo.

Having fought Muay Thai and competed in Sambo, the key is really identifying what your opponent's strengths are and prevent them from using them.

As far as watching UFC and MMA, it's mostly crap. Most of the fights have me wanting to pull my hair out. I used to love Pride and K-1. The UFC and WEC have a handful of decent fighters and even fewer good fighters.

Overall, nothing fancy and keep it simple. You aren't going to win a fight with a reverse flying pretzel kick.
Back to top Go down
Superhero

Superhero

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Wow...

And congratulations go to red Dragon for actually getting what the thread was about.
After two pages of People writting about " I Can beat up a big guy!" & me me basically saying "That's nice but it's not really what we're talking about" Somebody actually got it.

props to you Sir.

yeah I agree UFC nowadays Has way to many rules, but the point is you can watch fights on the internet, TV, just about anywhere & say "What would I do?"

And I agree, know your strengths & roll with them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:12 am

kick them in the ding ding, then run away.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:41 am

Guys who have wide hits can be blocked the way that Buster Douglas
tied up Tyson in '91.

Size is never the point.
Bruce Lee proved that.
I am the same height and weight as Mr. Lee.

Most people get tired arms in five minutes.
I've watched a lot of guys hit the bag.
NONE went over five minutes.

That means: float like water ( move slightly so that you don't get hit )
{ move like Pooty Tang } until the arms go down.
Then, strike to the outside of the shoulder with a ridge hand
so that the arms aren't going up again
and then. strike the neck.

Getting an open neck-strike is worth running as a scenario in many cases.
( the is my secret plan for fighting Eon, shhhhh! don't tell him)

Also, people are not ready for mutiple strikes.
Ed Parker taught us to punch in the stomach and the face at the same time.

I like to practice it with a double parry inTO the double punch.
But, being ready for more strikes after that is crucial.

So, like this:
if he comes straight at you with that round punch - wide,
you -parry it away and circle right into the double punch,
no waiting kick to the groin, leave your leg in there and sweep the leg,
no need to be nice to the knee on the way,
reap him down and then, land on him with your knee and get that neck strike.
Then, hog tie him because he won't stay "out"...or what ever everyone else says

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...   So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

So I'm watching this kid hit the bag today...
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next