Real Life Superheroes - The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Life Superheroes - The Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.

Go down 
+4
adamm[]
Boosterman
DRock
Paladin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Paladin

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service

30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Empty
PostSubject: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm

OK... so I managed to lose a metric f*&$ton of weight in a very short span of time, without starving myself or otherwise endangering my health.

I went from a 38 waist to having to wear a belt to keep my 32's from sliding off. Still have a ways to go (goal weight is about a buck seventy, down from a max of nearly 220-230), but it's working just ducky so far.

This is how I did it.

It's all physics- that is, conservation of energy. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed. That means that if I use more calories in a day then I take in, my body *has* to find calories stored around inside of it to make up the difference, period.

So, step one, is figure out what I'm using in terms of calories.

Everyone uses about 2K calories per day, just living. Yes, even the most avid of WOW geeks. If you're moderately (me before) or highly (me now) active, this goes up, but not as fast as you might think. a 40 Km. bike ride will only earn you roughly 3.5-4.5K calories, depending on how hard you go at it.

most ppl will only get to around another 500 calories per day from walking, etc.

My solution to this? count calories. Seriously, just keep my intake lower than my output. The balance has to come out of my fat ass. It's physics.

But straight-up counting calories isn't enough. Still have to make sure I'm getting the nutrients I need to not die and to stay healthy. The secret? I still eat "white" carbs like rice and bread, but all before noon... And I try to make it whole-grain/brown carbs as much as possible when I *do* eat carbs, to get the trace nutrients from the food, instead of purely empty calories. Also, it front-loads the heaviest stuff (calorie-wise) so that I have the whole day to burn it off. In my other meals, I replace carb-grains (pasta, rice, etc.) with legumes- chick-peas, lentils, red/black beans... I load up on vegetable matter, and I aim for lean meats where possible (chicken, salmon, tuna, turkey, instead of deep-fried anything, or pork, etc). I still have some fats in my diet, and some carbs, to keep me from going into rabbit starvation.

I snack between meals, to keep myself from going into a rage and devouring every doughnut at Tim Horton's, but I aim for fruits and vegg snacks.

Also, I've increased my activity level. I've stopped taking escalators and elevators where I can, I'm walking more, and I just recently started MMA training again (though the training came after the weight loss).

That said, I've made all of these changes before and my results were... ok... they were there, but not spectacular. I ended up falling off the wagon hard because I wasn't seeing what I wanted fast enough.

So what's my magic bullet? Matcha.

Japanese Green Tea. More anti-oxidants than anything else on the market, from goji berries to acai berries, or whatever. This isn't steeped green tea, like loose leaf or bagged tea.. this is the whole leaf, ground up into a TMNT-mutagenic-ooze-coloured powder, that you rink mixed into pretty much anything. Traditionally you drink it hot, but I make it iced, with sugar, by the litre.

I was sitting at 2 or 3 Rockstar/Monster/n0s energy drinks per day, and when I got on Matcha four months ago, I went cold turkey... I have had only two energy drinks and three cokes since then.

This stuff jacks up your metabolism, and gets you burning fat like you would not believe. put it in smoothies, or juice, or whatever... but it kicks your ass, in a good way. I am more alert, awake, energetic and healthy than I've been in ages.

No lie, guys.
Back to top Go down
DRock

DRock

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks for the tips!

Though I've had some weight loss, it's not as dramatic. Like you've mentioned, falling off the wagon from sugar and caffeine withdrawal is a bitch.

But I have shown improvement. Cycling more (though getting from Douglasdale to Applewood a couple weeks ago was really exhausting), walking more, watching my calories. Your tips will help refine that process. Thank you again.
Back to top Go down
Boosterman

Category :
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:07 am

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

There's no point in trying to beat biology - you eat too much, do too little, or don't eat the right nutrients... guess what? You're gonna put on the weight or at least degrade your body.

I need to hit the gym again. I've had too many projects going on lately that are simply creative and intellectual, and I need to push myself again physically. Get back into the gym and burn off all that screen time I've been accumulating.

Keep up the good work guys!

BOOSTERMAN
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Sun May 06, 2012 5:26 am

Are you sure you burn 2k calories a day? when i have a less active day at the gym burnining only 400 calories on the treadmill//elliptical and who knows how much on lifting weights (usually an hour or so) and eating not too much a day i dont seem to loose weight over 3 days. which i should be dropping at least a lb, or maybe im packing on muscle. i lost 20lbs first month and 10 lbs this month, 12 more days to loose another 10.

i usually eat
4 eggs = 280 calories
1 tbs oil = 120
2 chix breast = around 550 (100grams = 120 calories)
Water or tea for drink = <5 perhaps, sometimes +40 with honey (i hear your brain needs daily carbohydrates to stay funX-chun-all, as u Kan C, i am lak'in my carbs)
assorted vegi stir fri = <100 red peppers, summer squash, onions, garlic, zucchini
bananas for my radioactive potassium !! = 100 calories
a pint of milk cause im irish and i need my calcium = 240

my intake coundt be more than 1500 and i know i burn at least 400 off because the machine says so, unless... the machines Lie! Mad affraid Mad

so i would be loosing 2k calories on my other daily activities, plus my at least 600 calorie burn at the gym (every day).

2k a day for doing near nothing?? i know all them things on the back of food packages say based on a 2k calorie intake but a 130lb woman doesnt need as much as a 200lb man.

170 from 230, your in my exact shoes Smile Feb 15th i was 225+-2lbs, Today 191+-2lbs
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Hey so whats the name of this green tea stuff you drink?

I had some weird green powder stuff i used to toss into any kind of beverage but i drank it because my mom bought it, it smelt like grass and wasnt the best tasting but it was tolderable. This was years ago and i believe it was an herbal pill with alot of.. herbs.. ground up into powder.
Back to top Go down
adamm[]

adamm[]

Category :
  • Crime Fighter
  • Public Service
  • Hero Support
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Mon May 14, 2012 12:33 pm

Random fact of the Day. Your name Paladin comes from one of the 5,6, 7 or 8 hills in rome(Or maybe somewhere in italy) that the temples/churches or what ever were built apon in which special knights know as Paladins would guard, getting their name from Paladine Hill, because the building they protected was on Paladine Hill.

Or something like that.
Random fact of the day, hope u enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
The Ranger

The Ranger

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Sat May 19, 2012 9:23 am

If your gaining muscle your probably will gain weight ( muscle weighs more than fat) so do not be surprised.
Go slow.... That's the key. ( ex. Run 1 mile everyday for a week... Then the next week add another mile)
On every other day work different muscles, it will give your muscles time to rest then its still affective then next time you work it. 3 smaller meals with plenty of protein and 3 snacks to help with a fast metabolism.
To me there's 3 types of people: A,B, and C. Type A they have a very fast metabolism and might need more calories than the normal person when they are active. Type B are the normals. Type C are those who have the slower metabolism, they have a hard time losing weight, so they must be devoted and push themselves much more.
If you think you want help don't hesitate to hire a personal trainer, they will help you reach your goals.
Back to top Go down
Leviathan

Leviathan

Category :
  • Crime Fighter

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Sat May 19, 2012 12:24 pm

3500 calories of movement is needed to burn remove one lb of fat from a 1500 calorie a day diet if I remember my math. IOW, daily weights, 5 miles of walking minimum per week, mowing the lawn, blah blah blah. Just get off your butt.

Smaller meals about five or six times a day. Less carbs the better until you've reached your goal weight. You'll most likely have a muffin top and loose skin if you've lost in excess of 40 lbs and look like a large sharpei from the chest down and an old man from the neck up.

High fructose corn syrup is something to be avoided like the plague if you can help it.

Eat your greens, but don't bother with romaine and iceberg lettuce, it has the least amount of fiber.

B3, B6, B12, calcium and other supplements will help because most of what you need has been removed from modern foods by the new world order and the aliens (just kidding 204) I mean by modern production methods.
Back to top Go down
Flora V. Arbor

Flora V. Arbor

Category :
  • Public Service

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Sat May 19, 2012 11:57 pm

each person is a different size.

2000 kcal perday is an average

your metabolic rate is the amount of calories needed to maintain your lean mass.

The more lean mass you have, the higher your metabolic rate.

So, no food changes your metabolic rate.

Changing the amount of muscle size you have, more or less,

is what changes your metabolic rate.

Caffeine, in green tea or other drinks, releases fat from storage

to be burned on the muscles as fuel IF you have plenty muscles.

I eat between 3000 and 4000 calories per day and

have ZERO interest in eating 2000 per day.

So, if Paladin is thinner and healthier, YAY.

For the long run, too much weight loss affects the health of the brain.

So, lift weights and, please, be careful
Back to top Go down
rennora phoenix

rennora phoenix

Category :
  • Non-RLSH

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1Sat May 26, 2012 10:11 pm

adamm[] wrote:
Random fact of the Day. Your name Paladin comes from one of the 5,6, 7 or 8 hills in rome(Or maybe somewhere in italy) that the temples/churches or what ever were built apon in which special knights know as Paladins would guard, getting their name from Paladine Hill, because the building they protected was on Paladine Hill.

Or something like that.
Random fact of the day, hope u enjoyed.

It is one of the 7 hills of Rome. There are numerous other hills, however, there are traditionally considered to be 7 "hills of Rome," just as there were 7 kings of Rome before it quit being a monarchy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.   30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

30 # in 3 months.. the healthy way.
Page 1 of 1